ASUS MG279Q Backlight Uniformity

Majestic

So I know IPS monitors have IPS glow, and I was used to this from my U2515H. However I upgraded to this monitor and the edges are just godawful in my opinion.

Do you think this is acceptable for a monitor that set me back 575 euro?

vfkcBPy.jpg

That's definitely a problem, and I can't picture Asus as a company that would let this pass quality control.

You should RMA it ! You're apparently not the only one, and from what I quickly read the replacement displays have been fine.

[Insert smart comment here]

9 minutes ago, Majestic said:

If I move my finger across the bezel you can clearly see the screen is under too much pressure. I think indeed it could be a manuf. error.

I actually found a quick fix you could do for that, but don't risk to void your RMA if it's still valid
 https://fr.ifixit.com/Answers/View/286750/Need+IPS+Monitor+backlight+bleed+fix#answer287253 

[Insert smart comment here]

Buddy of mine had the exact same issue with his PG279Q. It's definitely related to bezel pressure, and he was able to take his apart and fix it, but he had another issue, which was color uniformity. On static images of certain colors, you would see lighter/darker shades in each quadrant. Hard to describe.

He eventually sent it back, as he was tired of playing the AU Optronics lottery. If you are willing to sacrifice a little color accuracy, you could send that back, and go with a really high quality TN. The Dell S2417DG is 165hz, G-Sync, and is of the highest quality TN's I've ever seen, even more so than the original ROG Swift. It's greens are amazing, but it lacks in the extreme red spectrum. Either way, if gaming is your only intended purpose, then it'd save you money and do just as good a job, without the IPS glow.

I don't know which part of Europe you are from, but on Amazon it's 480 euros, which is pricey, considering we can get it in the US for $400 flat. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

4 minutes ago, MageTank said:

The Dell S2417DG is 165hz, G-Sync, and is of the highest quality TN's I've ever seen, even more so than the original ROG Swift.

Would the Dell S2716DG use the same display? It was one of my contenders, along with the AOC Agon AG271QX

6 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Would the Dell S2716DG use the same display?

Yes, it's just 3 inches bigger. Be warned: With it being bigger, it won't be as sharp as the 24 inch version, and it will likely have more noticeable angle shifts (bigger screen, more likely to see the sides at an angle). The shift is very subtle, fading to a yellow. If you sit straight on in front of the monitor, you won't notice it. Vertical angles look fantastic to me though. 

EDIT: I should also add that Gamma needs tweaked. Out of the box, it's god awful. After tweaking gamma, and slight color adjustments, it looks every bit as amazing as my Korean PLS did.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

18 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Yes, it's just 3 inches bigger. 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'll consider it. I'm leaning towards spinning the wheel of the worst one more time though. If it's dreadful again, i'm getting either the Dell of the AOC.