500USD Budget - Make my PC play games at 1440p/4k?

GamerGuy
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
5 hours ago, GamerGuy said:

Ea...easy? H...how? Haha, I'm a monkey. Please tell me the parts to get for 1440p <3

Sorry but everyone is recommending different things and im lost.

Well the parts I suggested above, a GTX 1070 and an FX 8350 :D

Hey!

I would like to play games at 60FPS (At least) at 1440p or possibly 4k, not any game in particular just want to have the option to do so with some/most/all games.

My current specs:

CPU : AMD FX 6300

RAM : 8 GB

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43

GPU: 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (270 if I'm not mistaking)

As a side note, my CPU and motherboard are reaching really high temps, hopefully with the replacements of the things I will get it will get fixed.

Am able to go over budget if necessary. Highly appreciate it. 

Question: If too many parts are going to need replacements, would it be better for me to just build a new computer and leave this one for my brother?

hi

2 minutes ago, GamerGuy said:

Hey!

I would like to play games at 60FPS (At least) at 1440p or possibly 4k, not any game in particular just want to have the option to do so with some/most/all games.

My current specs:

As a side note, my CPU and motherboard are reaching really high temps, hopefully with the replacements of the things I will get it will get fixed.

You'd need to spend an absolute ton to play 60fps at 1440p/4k.

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

3 minutes ago, GamerGuy said:

Hey!

My current specs:

Question: If too many parts are going to need replacements, would it be better for me to just build a new computer and leave this one for my brother?

Yeh, no. Just build a new pc 

What PSU do you have?

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

What PSU do you have?

TS XFX 550W

hi

I recommend you upgrade cpu to an 8350 and gpu to a 1060 or an rx480.

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

4 minutes ago, ImperialSteele said:

Just a heads up, the 1080 can't hold 60FPS on most games in 4k at high settings, a card in your budget won't really be able to even at super-low.

Reference: http://www.trustedreviews.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review-performance-benchmarks-and-conclusion-page-2

Well, look at this

rottr_3840_2160.pngwitcher3_3840_2160.png

Maxed out settings btw. Higher demanding game reach 30 mark harder and 30fps is playable. You don't need to get 60fps and claim you are PCMR

crysis3_3840_2160.pnghitman_3840_2160.png

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Is it fair to expect being able to run games like League of Legends and movies at least at 1440p? Is my PSU enough for the two parts you listed? and do you think this will solve my CPU and motherboard heating problems?

hi

Just now, GamerGuy said:

Is it fair to expect being able to run games like League of Legends and movies at least at 1440p? Is my PSU enough for the two parts you listed? and do you think this will solve my CPU and motherboard heating problems?

Yeah the PSU is enough, LOL at 1440p will run easily.

I'd sell that, and buy used hardware from the Reddit Hardware Swap. Should be able to get a decent rig together.

Keep your drives though.

6 minutes ago, ImperialSteele said:

Just a heads up, the 1080 can't hold 60FPS on most games in 4k at high settings, a card in your budget won't really be able to even at super-low.

Reference: http://www.trustedreviews.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review-performance-benchmarks-and-conclusion-page-2

Most of those games were tested at ultra. Turn down some settings, and you'll easily be able to reach around 60 fps in most games.

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Can the motherboard support the 8350 with an OC though?

I'd go with something other than a mini card..

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I'd sell that, and buy used hardware from the Reddit Hardware Swap. Should be able to get a decent rig together.

Keep your drives though.

Most of those games were tested at ultra. Turn down some settings, and you'll easily be able to reach around 60 fps in most games.

Why not the mini card? Anything else you recommend?

hi

8 minutes ago, GamerGuy said:

Hey!

My current specs:

I'd seriously save some more money and wait for Ryzen. Once it out you will know it's performance numbers and be able to compare it 8350/current i5/i7's. From there you're gonna want to get a new platform for 1070/1080, an 8350 is gonna bottleneck it. 4k is something you can do on a budget, its gonna take a $580 just for GPU which will give 30 - 50FPS @ 4k in new games (mine does). 1440P is the sweet spot for me at the moment, even then you really want a 1080 if you wanna get 60FPS + in games.

As an Idea my specs are

i7 4790k@ 4.6ghz

32GB DDR3 @ 1902mhz

Asus RoG Z97 Ranger

Samsung m.2

Crucial SSD

Fractal Design Newton R3 1000w PSU (You will not need anywhere near this, my rig was previously SLI'd and I needed a white PSU)

Palit Gamerock Premium 1080 @ 2050mhz

Custom Loop

With that rig on an Asus Swift Gsync 144hz 1440P I get the following (roughly) at Ultra settings:

GTA 5 - 60 - 80FPS

Watch Dogs 2 - 60~

Division - 70 FPS

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, GamerGuy said:

Why not the mini card? Anything else you recommend?

They don't have as good of a cooling solution as larger cards.

The cost increase is usually minimal to get something with a better cooler.

I'd also check to make sure the 8350 won't melt your motherboard. IIRC some lesser boards have problem with the higher powered chips. Unless you have absolutely no plans on overclocking.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Well, look at this

rottr_3840_2160.pngwitcher3_3840_2160.png

Maxed out settings btw. Higher demanding game reach 30 mark harder and 30fps is playable. You don't need to get 60fps and claim you are PCMR

crysis3_3840_2160.pnghitman_3840_2160.png

Also  @GamerGuy this is a standard 1080, some models such as FTW and the Palit run quite a bit faster, as I said earlier mine sits at 2050mhz boost without me playing with the card at all, but I am on water, pretty sure they still get over 1900 on air though

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

They don't have as good of a cooling solution as larger cards.

The cost increase is usually minimal to get something with a better cooler.

I'd also check to make sure the 8350 won't melt your motherboard. IIRC some lesser boards have problem with the higher powered chips. Unless you have absolutely no plans on overclocking.

I'm really sorry, but I am so confused right now. I'm not looking to overclock. I just want to make sure I get everything straight so that I don't buy something that doesn't work / isn't good. Mind just telling me if I do get the 8350 and 1070 if everything is going to be compatible with all the other parts? If so, then I maybe rather not mess with this too much as I'm scared I'll mess something up and just get the two parts mentioned above.

hi

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

Keep your drives though.

I don't know what mobo but I tried to go as low as possible. A mini sucks I agree 

Yes even so at ultra getting 30fps is still a pleasant experience (even though those are average and it can dip down below 30)

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I don't know what mobo but I tried to go as low as possible. A mini sucks I agree 

Yes even so at ultra getting 30fps is still a pleasant experience (even though those are average and it can dip down below 30)

The only problem is if it's barely getting 30, the dips will be a lottt lower, perhaps all the way into the single digits.

But you can always lower the settings, and get a very playable experience.

If it was me I'd be going 1440p monitor though.

6 minutes ago, GamerGuy said:

I'm really sorry, but I am so confused right now. I'm not looking to overclock. I just want to make sure I get everything straight so that I don't buy something that doesn't work / isn't good. Mind just telling me if I do get the 8350 and 1070 if everything is going to be compatible with all the other parts? If so, then I maybe rather not mess with this too much as I'm scared I'll mess something up and just get the two parts mentioned above.

Honestly, with your system I wouldn't even try and go for 4k. Upgraded or not.

Go for 1440p. If you do that you might even be able to just keep your current CPU.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

The only problem is if it's barely getting 30, the dips will be a lottt lower, perhaps all the way into the single digits.

Go for 1440p. If you do that you might even be able to just keep your current CPU.

Yeah, I'm going for 1440p, I just mentioned 4k as a possibility but now I know it aint possible.

hi

Yeah, I'm going for 1440p, I just mentioned 4k as a possibility but now I know it aint possible.

For 1440p  it will be easy

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

But also take into account those are the most demanding game too, other game should get 30fps+ high/ultra just fine. And he also mentioned that he plays LoL so that should not be a problem too

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

But also take into account those are the most demanding game too, other game should get 30fps+ high/ultra just fine. And he also mentioned that he plays LoL so that should not be a problem too

Ea...easy? H...how? Haha, I'm a monkey. Please tell me the parts to get for 1440p <3

hi

Well the parts I suggested above, a GTX 1070 and an FX 8350 :D

8 minutes ago, GamerGuy said:

Just keep your current processor and overclock, get a better cooler, and buy a 1070.

I'd strongly recommend researching your board and seeing if it can handle the increased wattage of the 8350.

Just use Google, and search. It's exactly what I'd have to do, and if you're not willing to put in the work to research it, why should I? ;)

6 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Haha, LoL could run on a slightly radiated potato.

5 minutes ago, GamerGuy said:

If you're going to do that, without researching it yourself, just remember that you have no one else to blame but yourself if something goes wrong. :)

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler