RaidZ1 config

Would it be better to have 6 1TB drives in a Raid Z1 array for about $390 or 3 2TB drives for $261?  Obviously one is cheaper but I am worried about price to performance 

22 minutes ago, newgeneral10 said:

Would it be better to have 6 1TB drives in a Raid Z1 array for about $390 or 3 2TB drives for $261?  Obviously one is cheaper but I am worried about price to performance 

why 6 drives in z1 isant that just like standard raid 1

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

I would probably agree, bigger drives are better for future expansion, however one thing to note is you will have more useable space on the 1TB array.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

On 2017-01-26 at 9:24 AM, newgeneral10 said:

Just so you know, those aren't comparable storage solutions.

RAIDZ1 is equivalent of RAID5. That means your total usable storage is (N Disks)-1

So in your first option

6x1TB disks

= 6 Disks - 1 Disk

= 6TB - 1TB

= 5TB usable space

In your second option

= 3 Disks - 1 Disk
= 6TB - 2TB

= 4TB usable space

Option 1 is more space and price efficient, but a bit more risky. Option 2 is just terrible.

If you're going to run RAIDZ1, you shouldn't even bother unless you're running 4 or 5 disks total, in my opinion. In fact, if you went with 2TB  disks, you could afford a 4th one and STILL be under the cost of the 1TB disks.

So I would recommend 4x 2TB disks, in RAIDZ1.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 2017-01-26 at 9:50 AM, Matt_98 said:

why 6 drives in z1 isant that just like standard raid 1

On 2017-01-26 at 10:01 AM, newgeneral10 said:

No, raidz1 is closer to raid 5

RAIDZ1 is equivalent to RAID5. It's essentially the same concept. RAID1 would be a Mirrored Pool in ZFS.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

RAIDZ1 is equivalent to RAID5. It's essentially the same concept. RAID1 would be a Mirrored Pool in ZFS.

wow I should probably learn this since I'm building a freenas box for work xD

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

3 minutes ago, Matt_98 said:

wow I should probably learn this since I'm building a freenas box for work xD

What size of office is it for? How many users, and what size of storage pool?

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

What size of office is it for? How many users, and what size of storage pool?

3 people, 4 1tb drives an old pentium 8gb ram 

PSU tier list- 

31 minutes ago, Matt_98 said:

3 people, 4 1tb drives an old pentium 8gb ram 

That should work, but when using something like that for a "production" environment in a business, you'll want to do a cost/benefit analysis of using old hardware vs buying something new that comes with warranty, in case of hardware failure.

However, if you're set on using that, it should be fine. Is the RAM ECC or not? For home use, ECC really isn't necessary. For business use, however, you really want to get ECC RAM if you can afford to (And make sure all the other parts, the CPU and Motherboard, support ECC as well). Especially since data is one of the most valuable things to a company.

On 27/01/2017 at 6:02 PM, dalekphalm said:

That should work, but when using something like that for a "production" environment in a business, you'll want to do a cost/benefit analysis of using old hardware vs buying something new that comes with warranty, in case of hardware failure.

However, if you're set on using that, it should be fine. Is the RAM ECC or not? For home use, ECC really isn't necessary. For business use, however, you really want to get ECC RAM if you can afford to (And make sure all the other parts, the CPU and Motherboard, support ECC as well). Especially since data is one of the most valuable things to a company.

It is literally just a nas drive for software and other stuff, not to worried about the data

PSU tier list-