Kraken X62 - Poor Design Decision

Hi All,

Just thought I would rant about something and maybe see if anyone else has run into this issue with the Kraken X62 cooler.

I just put together my new i7-7700K system on the MSI XPower Titanium board, and instantly ran into an issue when installing my X62...  When the pump is right-side-up, the hoses are on the right... and get in the way of the first Memory slot.  It is impossible to install 4 DIMMs when installing the X62 right-side-up.  I was forced to install it upside down, so the hoses are on the left.  Has anyone else run into this problem with the X62?  It might just be that my Motherboard has the RAM and CPU closer together than other boards...

I find this a really terrible design decision by NZXT for multiple reasons...

1) This must happen on a lot of motherboards, not just mine.  Why put the hoses RIGHT next to the memory when there is all that space on the left/bottom/top??

2) The fit in my NZXT S340 Elite case is WAY better with the pump upside down (and these 2 products are basically made for each other).  The hoses stretch nicely over to the left along the top of the case, instead of being coiled up and shoved against the video card or blocking the view of the Memory.

3) The NZXT LED logo is now upside down and looks a little silly... I have it turned off.  Make the glass reversible!?

4) An unrelated complaint... that USB type-b connector could be smaller... come on.

But I am still pretty happy with my shiny new beast :D

20170123_184137_HDR.jpg

Well the logo is upside down and the tube is awkward because you did it wrong??

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Well the logo is upside down and the tube is awkward because you did it wrong??

He can't install it properly because it doesn't clear his RAM. If you read the OP you might have gathered that info.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, tmcclelland455 said:

He can't install it properly because it doesn't clear his RAM. If you read the OP you might have gathered that info.

Yes, thanks for that, some people do not read well....

3 minutes ago, Revan444 said:

Yes, thanks for that, some people do not read well....

It's not like it was that hard to read the post and see that it would hit his RAM...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Mhm interesting, I was going to get an X62 when i upgrade my cpu, but I'll have to think twice about that now.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

On 1/24/2017 at 12:34 PM, RKRiley said:

Mhm interesting, I was going to get an X62 when i upgrade my cpu, but I'll have to think twice about that now.

I still love the look of the thing, and having the pump wiring on the bottom was not a big deal for me, as I was able to route the wires fairly neatly.  And as far as functionality goes, it is cooling well.  I am running at 4.8 GHz at 1.26V and gaming temps are 50-60C

The only thing that sucks is that upside down NZXT Logo.  it should be reversible... but easier said than done I'm sure...  (The N, Z, and X look ok reversed... it's mostly that damn T... lol)

I can't believe I am the only one running into this so far... can't even find other cases on Google.

Maybe I'll take her apart and see if there isn't some way to make it fit right side up... but I don't think so.  It's Tiiiiight

• 2 weeks later...

You are not alone, I am having this issue too.
MSI Z270 gaming M7. with G.Skill Trident Z RGB. Right now I only have 2 sticks of ram so right now I don't really have problem, but I am planning to get more ram.
And My Kraken x62 came with scratch on the glass about 1 cm. I am bringing it back tomorrow and gonna get something else, the ram clearance issue is pretty annoying lol.

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2017 at 7:29 PM, Revan444 said:

I can't believe I am the only one running into this so far... can't even find other cases on Google.

Maybe I'll take her apart and see if there isn't some way to make it fit right side up... but I don't think so.  It's Tiiiiight

It's the same on x99 and putting the tubes on the left wouldn't fix that for x99 this cooler has some serious design flaws it is a shame cause the cooler looks so nice when on.

I agree the x62 makes life difficult, but I think that the options are vast. You could have gotten Vengeance LPX and then you could have the NZXT logo normal side up, as they are smaller RAM. What i am planning to do with my tubes of my x62 that are just hanging is to buy this: http://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/167508/10002/-1 and copy what the guy in the picture did

190319.d857d078588fd861ed3ec99634f2fe3f.1600.jpg

pc11.jpg

• 8 months later...
On 1/24/2017 at 12:25 PM, Revan444 said:

Hi All,

Just thought I would rant about something and maybe see if anyone else has run into this issue with the Kraken X62 cooler.

I just put together my new i7-7700K system on the MSI XPower Titanium board, and instantly ran into an issue when installing my X62...  When the pump is right-side-up, the hoses are on the right... and get in the way of the first Memory slot.  It is impossible to install 4 DIMMs when installing the X62 right-side-up.  I was forced to install it upside down, so the hoses are on the left.  Has anyone else run into this problem with the X62?  It might just be that my Motherboard has the RAM and CPU closer together than other boards...

I find this a really terrible design decision by NZXT for multiple reasons...

1) This must happen on a lot of motherboards, not just mine.  Why put the hoses RIGHT next to the memory when there is all that space on the left/bottom/top??

2) The fit in my NZXT S340 Elite case is WAY better with the pump upside down (and these 2 products are basically made for each other).  The hoses stretch nicely over to the left along the top of the case, instead of being coiled up and shoved against the video card or blocking the view of the Memory.

3) The NZXT LED logo is now upside down and looks a little silly... I have it turned off.  Make the glass reversible!?

4) An unrelated complaint... that USB type-b connector could be smaller... come on.

But I am still pretty happy with my shiny new beast :D

You are not the only with this isssue...x62 almost killed one of gskill stick...as it was mounted upright...finally had to mount it sideways....i have the same motherboard...you can probably mount it sideways...this way it wouldn't look that awkward...

1511102283138747956251.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I watched a teardown of this fan and it looks like the logo can be spinned around, meaning you can turn it, 90/180/270 degrees to suit your needs.

Of course you will have to open up the block.. but it didn't look to difficult.

Of course you'd void your warranty probably... 

But.. we could have our cake, and eat it too...