Question about coil whine

MxZeal

So my PC has been making a lot of noise lately and i thought "okay its just coil whine" cuz it sounds like its coming from my PSU however recently i plugged some earpods into my front audio panel and found that i heard static. The static noise was matching the "coil whine" 100% it was the same noise through the earpods.

Is this normal? or am i hearing something other than coil whine this whole time?

No noise transfer through my headphones using the rear audio jack or from my speakers using my sound card.

thanks

7 minutes ago, MxZeal said:

So my PC has been making a lot of noise lately and i thought "okay its just coil whine" cuz it sounds like its coming from my PSU however recently i plugged some earpods into my front audio panel and found that i heard static. The static noise was matching the "coil whine" 100% it was the same noise through the earpods.

Is this normal? or am i hearing something other than coil whine this whole time?

No noise transfer through my headphones using the rear audio jack or from my speakers using my sound card.

thanks

Audio curcuts on motherboards and even headphones need to be properly shielded from static and electrical noise or you will hear a whiny static in your speakers or headphones. A good example is I have a cheap pair of speakers I bought for $10-15 on Amazon and they have the thinest and flimsyest wireing I have seen on any desk PC speaker and every time I put my iPhone 6 regular near those speakers I get a real irritating buzz. Some motherboards don't have a lot of shielding from electical noise and that can cause the sound to have a staticy noise and that can be easily remmidied by a expansion card that has the proper shielding or a USB sound card and then your sound should be static free.

It's called EMI, and that's why you should use the rear IO audio jacks, or an external DAC/sound card.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It's called EMI, and that's why you should use the rear IO audio jacks, or an external DAC/sound card.

Okay thanks, i'm only using front temporary anyway.

Would getting a new PSU remove or greatly diminish emi?

2 minutes ago, MxZeal said:

Okay thanks, i'm only using front temporary anyway.

Would getting a new PSU remove or greatly diminish emi?

No, it will always be there because there is always power running through your PC.

You need to use an external DAC to get close to 0 EMI.

EMI goes like this:

front panel >>>>> rear panel > sound card > external DAC

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020