using led fans without led lights?...

so this might be a stupid question .. well it kinda is, i couldn't find this anywhere on the forum so im going to ask and assume there's no thread for this beforehand, the question should be pretty basic.

just in general is there an easy way to use led fans without turning the lights on? just using them as normal fans? any wires to cut? any of the pins that you can avoid using? i realise that the wiring may differ, now why the hell would some idiot buy led fans and not use the leds? well limited options that's why :P

in my case im looking at the bitfenix spectre pro fans.. i want to add to the overall airflow in my room .. looking for some good 200-230mm fans, as im extremely limited in options and i want to buy them within the borders of my country, i got like 3-4 options .. the bitfenix seems like the best ones, but this is going to be standing in my room and i really don't want any flashy led lights, is there an easy way to shut down the leds or not use them in the first place. 

even if you might have different suggestions for me im still interested in the topic question.

Some fans come with a pin out that you can pull out, which cuts the LED power. I know Bitfenix does it.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

Hammers usually take care of unwanted LEDs. Just smash em :D

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I swear Bitfenix do non LED spectre fans...

This, they are called spectre and spectre pro

and the led version is called spectre led / spectre pro led

Edited by Thecrazyswede

if you look at the back where the mounting point for the motor/fan then you should see the LED them selves right? if you then cut those wires then you should be good cause the fan it self will just get the power that the LEDs got ( sort of bottle neck thing but no bottleneck effect )

My rig : CPU: Intel i7 4820K   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI   RAM : Kingston hyper X 2133MHz 2x 8GB total 16GB   CPU-Cooling : Corsair H60 V2   SSD : Intel 335 series 180GB   PSU : Corsair RM series 750w   Chassi : Corsair Graphite 600T   GPU : Asus radeon HD7750 ( gonna upgrade soon )

My initital response before making a conclusive response:

"I just read the title and I'm sorry but really......that is quite silly in the context of buying a fan "designed" to be displayed with LED lights to illuminate the fan blades passing over and passively allowing like to reflect off other components" -_-

Hammers usually take care of unwanted LEDs. Just smash em :D

Lol, but then you also get unwanted turbulence

There should be an extra cable you probably cut off but I doubt you'd want to put the effort to re-sleeve.

Bitfenix is probably a good choice of fans that would do LED fans etc

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

This, they are called spectre and spectre pro

and the led version is called spectre led / spectre pro led

I swear Bitfenix do non LED spectre fans...

guys as i said my options are ABSURDLY limited, and i don't want to import :P was just curious if there was a clean solution to shutting them down, also! as mentioned in my post regardless if there is a different solution i was still curious about this subject, was hoping maybe you could just plug in 3 pins or something :P

Some fans come with a pin out that you can pull out, which cuts the LED power. I know Bitfenix does it.

i guess il just roll with this .. getting a white led fan.. hoping there's a pin there ..  

and i guess you can just somehow cut the wires on most other led fans .. cheers.

I guess you could just tape the arms holding the motor to cover the light.

By some strange coincidence, I was thinking about buying some Bitfenix fans with white LED too, but tape them if it doesn't look good in my system.