Whats is the ideal core count for gaming these days?

2 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

I'd just keep it, since it'll be good for awhile. 

does the broadwell-e chips have much of a gain over the 5960x last time I checked the 5960x was actually pretty close to the 6900k if not beating it in certain tasks

3 hours ago, MekaStrix said:

does the broadwell-e chips have much of a gain over the 5960x last time I checked the 5960x was actually pretty close to the 6900k if not beating it in certain tasks

As far as I know, there was an IPC improvement between Haswell and Broadwell, but not a hugely significant one. I doubt there's a need for you to upgrade to Broadwell-E.

On 1/21/2017 at 7:55 AM, Morgan MLGman said:

If you have the 5960X, don't sell it. It's a much better CPU than the 7700K.

I have both and will say that the 5960x is a beast, but in every single application that isn't perfectly optimized to use all core effectively, my 7700k pretty much destroys my 5960x.  My 5960x is overclocked pretty damn high when compared with most Haswell-E and Broadwell-E overclocks and even then 7700k still blows me away,  The second I start doing something that effectively uses all cores, the 5960x wins hands down.  The problem is that it doesn't happen as much as I'd like.

17 hours ago, done12many2 said:

I have both and will say that the 5960x is a beast, but in every single application that isn't perfectly optimized to use all core effectively, my 7700k pretty much destroys my 5960x.  My 5960x is overclocked pretty damn high when compared with most Haswell-E and Broadwell-E overclocks and even then 7700k still blows me away,  The second I start doing something that effectively uses all cores, the 5960x wins hands down.  The problem is that it doesn't happen as much as I'd like.

exactly this is the issue i'm having about the only time I make use of all the cores or at least 6 of them is when using streaming software like OBS for the recording and a Bot the rest of the time I only use a couple threads and it does feel a whole lot better than my old 3770k