Accespoints.

Sälle

Hey lads! 

I really want to buy a wireless accespoint (not a repeater) because the wifi connection is shit on the second floor, can someone in the community help me buy one? I am lost in the networking jungle :P

I want to be able to establish my own "network" with my own ssid and password.

If i am correct an accesspoint is just a wireless connection between your cable and your phone etc.

I know that you need a router too, i am not that retarded.

Also, before you link a product, check if dhcp is supported. Routers have their own dhcp.

Think of an access point as just a wireless switch. It obviously isn't actually a switch but the analogy fits.

I've personally never really researched APs myself but Ubiquity is pretty good brand and we use their APs at work.

Another option is that many routers have an access point mode. When in that mode, instead of connecting it to the network via the WAN port you instead use one of the LAN ports.

Sorry I couldn't link any specific products. If you have a specific budget I would suggest letting us know.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Ubiquiti Unifi APs. It's amazingly cheap and amazingly good. 

Linus uses one himself, it's $89 USD for the base unit (LITE) and it has AC and everything. 

What do you mean by DHCP? The AP itself requests addresses from the router. 

idk

2 minutes ago, Sälle said:

Hey lads! 

I really want to buy a wireless accespoint (not a repeater) because the wifi connection is shit on the second floor, can someone in the community help me buy one? I am lost in the networking jungle :P

If i am correct an accesspoint is just a wireless connection between your cable and your phone etc.

Also, before you link a product, check if dhcp is supported. Routers have their own dhcp.

Hello,

This is really a strange thing to do... setting up an access point in a SOHO environment. I can honestly say that I have never set up an AP that was outside of a domain, connected to a radius server or something of the sort for user authentication. I would assume that it wouldn't be too different in your house, or living conditions of whatever sorts, or where ever. So let's start with your bullet point-looking things.

1. You can establish a "network" with your own SSID and password even before you get an AP. Just saying.

- This leads me to question whether this is your AP or not. If you are connecting your AP to someone's Internet, or an ISP that you don't have control over or admin on the account, then it's a bad idea.

2. An Access point is a very strong wireless router... just without routing and usually used in conjunction with switches so that you can manage the ports and the traffic flowing between them because you don't want all of the wireless traffic mixing with the wired traffic.

3. Yes, I am glad you know that you need a router too, because then explaining everything would be 100x harder.

It would be easier... and probably cheaper than an industry-standard AP just to use a router.

On 1/21/2017 at 3:51 AM, Sälle said:

Hey lads! 

An wireless access point is just the wireless radio part of the wireless router. It just broadcast the wireless signal. One important thing you need to know, is you need to hook a wire from the access point to your main router. As @Droidbot states Ubiquity is a good option. 

Now for the part about your "Own network" you can set the SSID and Password to a different thing from your main router. But you technically will be connecting to the "same network" all the other machine. The only difference is no one besides the ones who have your password can connect to your access point. I know there are settings in some if not all Wireless routers that allow you to separate out Access point traffic, Im not entirely sure how that works with a stand alone Access point. Also access points generally do not have DHCP options as they are only a wireless radio. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.