Overkill PC builds

Many of us propably seen builds meant to be for gaming purpose and are built on 2011 socket with 32GB RAM and 4 card in SLI or CF. Many propably go "WOW!!!" and some (like me) go "WTF is wrong with you?". Other example can be a 1000W power supply for a i3 and GT620.

I understand big ass rigs build for work purpose where power is needed or to brake records in OC and benchmarks, but buy a rig to just showoff and never use more than 30-50% of its power?

What are your thoughts on overkill builds?

Note: Put on General discussion due to nature of the topic.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

I try to help bring some sense into the situation. 

Other than that, I can't say much other than it happens.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Personally I would just get a good CPU with the best performing single GPU for ultra 1080p gaming. I would consider doing a 2-way SLI or CF in the case of multimonitor or ultra high res gaming. Obviously with a decet overclock in every case but without pushing it to the limits.

I guess I just like a sensible system

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I think that this thread could very quickly become an elitist thread where people bash on others. Some people just don't know any better. When designing systems, there are lots of little things to take into consideration - power supply efficiency curves, SLI/CF scaling etc. Some people when they build their systems just don't know. Others have more money than sense and buy whatever they want. I do not bother arguing with them because where does it get you? You get all up tight over the fact that they're doing something you don't approve of and there is no outcome of your little tantrum. 

My $.02.

It's their money, they can do whatever they want with it. That's my thought, if they want to blow $5000 on a PC and not use it to its full capability, it's their problem.  

We can only simply give advice but in the end, it's all up to them. 

This is not to set on going "those damn stupid people who dont know any better". I know there are people who have more money than we will get in our entire life time and money limit will not count as a factor. I just ask people opinions on the subject of overkill rigs. Spending few thousand $ for rig that will perform sometimes even worse than some optimized one.

Ministry of StopIt!

I think its fair to say that the people that do it, have the money to do it... They aren't overly stretching themselves to buy 3 or 4 high end cards.

A lot of it comes down to looks for people as well, I think they are well aware that the benefit they get of a 4th card over a 3 card setup is marginal at best but damn does it look cool.

The same outlook can be taken with cars I guess. If you can only do 100-110km/h (or 60-65mp/h) Whats the point of a car that can do anything over that at all?

It's not just about the practical side of computing or gaming, this is our hobby. We want to customize, personalize, tweak, tune and explore anything we can. Otherwise we would all just have beige boxes with a single card from either competitor that 'does the job' and that would pretty much be it...

To answer your question, I think overkill builds are insanely stupid unless done right. For example, someone can get a 4960x, 96 gigs of ram, four titans and throw that in a case. It only peaks my interest when the build itself looks good. Yeah it's done, highly un-optimized, and pointless, but by golly it looks picture perfect.

We have all been in the same situation where we just want everything for no reason so I see no point in complaining about them and rather just try to help them :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

My thoughts? If one has too much money to spare, then go ahead. S/he obviously can't find anything better to do with it (shame on them for that!). I do not mind showcase builds, like some of the amazing builds on this forum (see Paultan's stuff). They are the only overkill builds I approve of, but they're more art anyway.

I personally would get something that can play Skyrim modded to look amazing at at least 25 to 30 FPS at 1440p (which is achievable at the under US$1500 price point) and be done with it.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

You have to remember some people are noobs/derps/fanboys, sometime its better to walk away and later you get to say 'I told you so' 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Many of us propably seen builds meant to be for gaming purpose and are built on 2011 socket with 32GB RAM and 4 card in SLI or CF. Many propably go "WOW!!!" and some (like me) go "WTF is wrong with you?". Other example can be a 1000W power supply for a i3 and GT620.

I understand big ass rigs build for work purpose where power is needed or to brake records in OC and benchmarks, but buy a rig to just showoff and never use more than 30-50% of its power?

What are your thoughts on overkill builds?

Note: Put on General discussion due to nature of the topic.

I have made the mistake of overkill but I have learned quite a bit on how to budget for a build even where to get parts for a better price as a tech I love the industry but their is so much knowledge to learn that I shall take my leave dear lady and depart into the shadows

I try to help bring some sense into the situation. 

Other than that, I can't say much other than it happens.

you help where you can and you have done it with honor & dignity  you helped me  on my first post and at other times you have given isight that I did not know and I respect that 

dear lady

Im a dude, but a get yaa.

Ookami (japanese) -> Wolf...

Ministry of StopIt!

To answer your question, I think overkill builds are insanely stupid unless done right. For example, someone can get a 4960x, 96 gigs of ram, four titans and throw that in a case. It only peaks my interest when the build itself looks good. Yeah it's done, highly un-optimized, and pointless, but by golly it looks picture perfect.

At that point, I just call it art.

you help where you can and you have done it with honor & dignity  you helped me  on my first post and at other times you have given isight that I did not know and I respect that 

Oh boy, I'm flattered.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I agree that a 3770k/4770k and a single 290x/780 is more than enough for the majority of users out there, but if somebody loves gaming so much that they are willing to spend more then why not? :)

Cause you might as well just buy some more games instead.

Cause you might as well just buy some more games instead.

Or feed kids in Africa...

Ministry of StopIt!

Or feed kids in Africa...

Yeah I get that point of view, But I'm saying that if you have the cash to go big then why not? Throw a 1440 or 1600 screen or even eyefinity/surround at it and go over the top. I know if I have the cash I would be running a hell of a rig just because I can

I'd be running a room of decently valued gaming rigs for the kids in Africa.

I'd be running a room of decently valued gaming rigs for the kids in Africa.

Red cross would send them to you soo they can play games and eat everything in your house including your cat or a dog...

Ministry of StopIt!

Red cross would send them to you soo they can play games and eat everything in your house including your cat or a dog...

That took a dark turn. 

You make them sound like my friends that come over. 

I went overkill for my current needs now so the pc will be usefull later down road as i my not have money to upgrade every yr.

I went overkill for my current needs now so the pc will be usefull later down road as i my not have money to upgrade every yr.

That's also a valid reason to go overkill I guess. 

Spoiler

They're called "overkill" for a reason. 

Why is this so hard to understand for some people?

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

Swifty(Gaming Youtuber) Computer specs:

He mostly plays WoW

Motherboard - EVGA SRX

Processor - Intel Xeon 2687 (Cpu x2)

Cpu Cooling - Frostbyte 360 x2

Memory - 96 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (1600 Speed)

Graphics - Nvidia GTX Titan (x4 Graphics SLI)

Hard Drive - 240 GB NeutronGTX Solidstate (x2 Raid 0)

Case - Corsair 900D (Custom Alliance Paint)

Power Supply - 1500 Watt EVGA Supernova Classified

Your paying for what you want..........does mean you get what you want in respect to doing a build using air then comparing it to a LN2 user :(

If you can use it balls to the walls potential, extreme and whatever other who ha gives a phrase it'll be worth every penny, though I do ask the question is it necessary to do that but no one is always certain sometimes contradicting their own choice

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

If you got more money then sense I don't think you'd have a problem with your build, electricity bill or paying someone just to build it for you. But it is frustrating that certain components listed are really just idling doing less than what the could be doing.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>