Where can I find old/busted computers?

JoeCoke

I live in Georgia and I can't find out any good places to find old or broken computers. When I say computers, I mean anything of any age, really the older the better. Anyone have any tips for finding this stuff? And craigslist sucks in my area, I've tried that many times but never find anything. People ask new prices for old, used and broken stuff and it blows my mind.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Is it illegal to take stuff from recycling centres in Georgia? Also I assume you've tried Ebay 

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe" ~ Albert Einstein

4 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

I live in Georgia and I can't find out any good places to find old or broken computers. When I say computers, I mean anything of any age, really the older the better. Anyone have any tips for finding this stuff? And craigslist sucks in my area, I've tried that many times but never find anything. People ask new prices for old, used and broken stuff and it blows my mind.

Try universities. No harm in sending an email asking if they have old computers they're throwing away. It cost money to recycle ewaste, so I'm sure they'd be glad to give it to you.

It's easier for me because I work at a university, and the ewaste for my building is right down the hall, so once a week I'll stop in to see if there is anything good there. 

It's illegal to take computer components due to hard drive storage. Governments don't let you take from landfills because of private data. You could look at bottledepots though, they usually let you take computers and keyboards and such, I got a older HP pavilion with a core 2 quad a few months ago.

The geek himself.

10 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

My workplace.

What is your job if you don't mind my asking?

I say job since I assume revealing your exact place of employment would be bad.  

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What is your job if you don't mind my asking?

I say job since I assume revealing your exact place of employment would be bad.  

I do stuff for a major US cell carrier to help customers out. Our equipment is just ancient considering the company itself is loaded.

3 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

I do stuff for a major US cell carrier to help customers out. Our equipment is just ancient considering the company itself is loaded.

So like in store customer service or something else?

7 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

So like in store customer service or something else?

Not directly at the store, but a center. Dunno how I ended up here actually, but you got bonus opportunities. Actually, it's annoying working with the stores since they tend to be so shady lol

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

Not directly at the store, but a center. Dunno how I ended up here actually, but you got bonus opportunities. Actually, it's annoying working with the stores since they tend to be so shady lol

I wish I could stumble into a job like that.  (Assuming it's a decent job.)

Not to impl/suggest/guess who you work for but I have Verizon for my cell provider and the people working in their stores near me are idiots.  

Thanks to the epic skills (/s) of the moron who signed me a up a few years ago when I got my own phone service I received my iPhone 5s in the mail (or possibly fedex/ups) after a few days but since my service was set up wrong somehow I was without a working phone for at least another week due to taking several hours over a few days on the phone sorting out the issue and then waiting for a new SIM card to show up.  In total it was between 1.5 weeks to 2 weeks from the day I'd signed up in the store before I had a working cell phone.