4790k @ 100 Celsius for over 10 days. so what's wrong with my system?

So I have a 4790k running at stock (with turboboost enabeled) and ran some very very long renders in 3ds max. For a majority of the time It was rendering HW monitor showed the package and 2 cores within at 100C constant. I know these CPU's are supposed to throttle after 90 degrees so I thought it unusual that it wasn't throttling. The cooler I have on it is an H100i. So my question is, are these issues common on the 4000 series CPU's, are these related to the algorithm that calculates temperature? I would assume there has to be a bug somewhere because I don't think a CPU can run that hot for well over 10 days. something would have busted in that time, right?

Turn off turbo? Also you should probably re-apply thermal paste. My 8320 OC'd to 4.5Ghz with 1.5V ran at like 70C on a triton. And that was a pretty power hungry CPU

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Well either your cooler is broken, or your motherboard is getting hot, making your CPU get hot.

PC:  Ryzen 5 1600 Gigabyte Gaming AB350 Gaming 3 | 16gb DDR4 2666MHz | Sapphire 5700xt 8gb | 2x Crucial 1TB SSD | EVGA 650w Fully Modular PSU | NZXT H440

1 minute ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Turn off turbo? Also you should probably re-apply thermal paste. My 8320 OC'd to 4.5Ghz with 1.5V ran at like 70C on a triton. And that was a pretty power hungry CPU

lol my 8320 non OC runs at 70C when playing intensive games

PC:  Ryzen 5 1600 Gigabyte Gaming AB350 Gaming 3 | 16gb DDR4 2666MHz | Sapphire 5700xt 8gb | 2x Crucial 1TB SSD | EVGA 650w Fully Modular PSU | NZXT H440

1 minute ago, Garett1 said:

lol my 8320 non OC runs at 70C when playing intensive games

Lol. Stock cooler? 

I have actually been having this issue for a while and all the hardware checks out. Applied new paste and checked pumps and fans. The board is hot but not as hot as the CPU everything else in the system usually hovers around 40 to 50 C.

Just now, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Lol. Stock cooler? 

No actually, I have a Cyrorig H7 lol. I do have a silent optimized build though so my temps are going to be higher to compromise for silence :)

3 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Which fan do you have?

(And check if it fell off)

both default H100i fans. work fine. 

1 minute ago, Davisdavisdavis said:

I have actually been having this issue for a while and all the hardware checks out. Applied new paste and checked pumps and fans. The board is hot but not as hot as the CPU everything else in the system usually hovers around 40 to 50 C.

What thermal paste did you use? Because 100C on a watercooled CPU isn't right unless you have some kick ass OC's on it

Looks like there's a problem with your H100i, pump i guess.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

1 minute ago, Garett1 said:

No actually, I have a Cyrorig H7 lol. I do have a silent optimized build though so my temps are going to be higher to compromise for silence :)

Ah. See I would go for silence but I don't because I like chilly CPU's and stuff.

I also run 2 GPU's now so I can't really keep CPU fans down.

It isn't the loudest thing though

What thermal paste did you use? Because 100C on a watercooled CPU isn't right unless you have some kick ass OC's on it

Like I'm saying i don't think the CPU is actually at 100C there is no possible way it didn't catch fire after 10 days.

Maybe the sensor is broke on it, I think they can break(don't quote me on that), or try a different program. 

It could be for a variety of reasons, while intel cpus start to throttle at 90° or so the actual upper limit is just about 100°. Your thermal paste might have dried up, maybe the cooler isn't making contact with the cpu properly. Try reseating the cpu and reapplying thermal paste, making sure the cooler is mounter properly. Make sure all the fans are spinning as they should. Lastly, check if the cooler's pump is broken - unplug all the fans, turn on your pc, get into bios and listen closely to the cpu block. If you don't hear some sort of whirring or buzzing the pump is probably broken, meaning you should replace your cooler.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I recently bought the 4790k and noticed some extremely high temperatures at stock. They went up to 100C on one core and the package, the rest was around 75C. The cooler and my thermal paste application were fine, so I assumed the thermal paste on the IHS was faulty. After delidding my CPU, I can say with confidence, that it was.

Even though I replaced it with some random thermal paste, my temps went way down to around 65C.

Unfortunately, the delidding process isn't fun at all. If you watch the videos on youtube, it seems relatively easy, but in my case, it wasn't. If you use a knife, there is the risk of serious injury, since you'll need a lot of force.

It was still worth it, because the cpu wasn't usable otherwise.

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

Does the side of the radiator where tubes connect to it get very hot? If that's so, your pump is not working right.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

5 hours ago, xc3ll said:

I recently bought the 4790k and noticed some extremely high temperatures at stock. They went up to 100C on one core and the package, the rest was around 75C. The cooler and my thermal paste application were fine, so I assumed the thermal paste on the IHS was faulty. After delidding my CPU, I can say with confidence, that it was.

Even though I replaced it with some random thermal paste, my temps went way down to around 65C.

Unfortunately, the delidding process isn't fun at all. If you watch the videos on youtube, it seems relatively easy, but in my case, it wasn't. If you use a knife, there is the risk of serious injury, since you'll need a lot of force.

It was still worth it, because the cpu wasn't usable otherwise.

I actually Delidded mine as well and it did improve it some, but obviously not enough.