1050Ti on a VGA monitor

Go to solution Solved by samcool55,

To keep it simple, HDMI and DP are digital only.

DVI is also always digital and SOMETIMES it also has analog.

DVI can be capable of digital and analog at the same time.

VGA is always analog.

The reason it doesn't work is that the 1050ti has a DVI-D connector, which means it only has the digital part.

And because VGA is analog only, it's impossible to use a simple adapter to get it working because there is no analog signal from the gpu and your monitor needs one.

That's where the active adapters come in, what they do is take the signal it's designed for in the input side and spits whatever it should spit out on the other side.
There is actual chips and electronic stuff in the connector actively (that's why it's an active adaptor) converting the signal.

It also sounds like a weird adaptor, i would get an active DP->vga one if you can.

I bought a GTX 1050Ti today, specifically an MSI Afterburner 4GB OC Version with Dual Fans. I brought it home super happy cause I've been waiting for an upgrade for years. Then I found out that the VGA to DVI-D converter I bought doesn't work (my monitor is an Acer V206HQL and its maximum resolution is 1600X900). My monitor keeps saying "Cable not Found". I Googled the problem and found that for the newer Nvidia cards, one needs an active converter, preferably a VGA-HDMI one. Can anyone please shed more light on this? What type of converter should I buy?

I don't know if this piece of information will help but I tried using the newly bought converter with my old R7 260X 1GB and still it showed "Cable not Found". However, the 260X uses a DVI-I connector and the converter was DVI-D. I assumed that the monitor couldn't output anything because of that discrepancy but I could be wrong. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

VGA to DVI-D? do they even make those?

this sniffs like you bought a fake converter, or a really dodgy one.

if you want to buy a better adapter, look into displayport to VGA adapters.

EDIT: or.. what i'd much rather recommend is you look into buying a new display as well, but seeing 1050Ti, i understand that may be out of budget.

EDIT EDIT: doesnt that display just have a DVI input you can use instead?

VGA is always analog.

The reason it doesn't work is that the 1050ti has a DVI-D connector, which means it only has the digital part.

And because VGA is analog only, it's impossible to use a simple adapter to get it working because there is no analog signal from the gpu and your monitor needs one.

That's where the active adapters come in, what they do is take the signal it's designed for in the input side and spits whatever it should spit out on the other side.
There is actual chips and electronic stuff in the connector actively (that's why it's an active adaptor) converting the signal.

It also sounds like a weird adaptor, i would get an active DP->vga one if you can.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

VGA is always analog.

Seriously, what he said.

Also, what is your original setup? If you had the previous GPU and just put this into your pre-existing setup, it could be trying to use your older R7. If you have an AMD setup, unless youre running an A series with iGPU, you're out of luck, you'd need to install your older GPU and then use DDU to remove your GPU drivers, then install the 1050ti again, and go from there. If you have iGPU for A series or an Intel CPU, then use your MB video out until you have the drivers installed for the new 1050ti. It's generally not good to switch hardware without removing the drivers first.

The easiest and cheapest solution is to buy DVI to DVI cable as the monitor supports DVI input.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

Only DVI-I or DVI-A have analog signals, DVI-D is digital exclusive you can use whatever adapter you want it won't ever work.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

My monitor doesn't have a DVI connector. I realize now that the products you guys found have DVI but the version I have does not. I don't know why that's the case.

I will look into buying an active adapter. 

Also, I did actually uninstall the AMD drivers first. That seemed obvious to me. However, it did not occur to me to install the drivers for the 1050ti before plugging in the card. I can try that. I will post update tomorrow after I've tried all your suggestions. 

Thanks, guys!

Just came in to let you guys know that your suggestions worked. I bought a VGA to DisplayPort active adapter and voila, problem fixed just like that! So, thank you all again.

One tiny little problem did crop up though - my display kept turning off everytime I plugged anything into any of the USB ports of my motherboard. 

This was quickly fixed after I installed the driver for my GPU, so I guess it was just that, a driver issue. Still, I found it to be quite odd and I do not know why it happened in the first place.