Sanity check!

Two different CPUs but from the same generation (same architecture) that just happen to operate at the same frequency (because of thermal throttling of the upper model or whatever...) Are they going to have Exactly the same level of  performance since they operate at exactly the same frequency? o_O

Thanks! ;-)

------------------------------------

Thank you for your replies! I figured that a bit more of clarification is needed.. we're talking about processors with the same core count and HT. However (!) - there is a difference in Cache (6MB vs 8MB)

Cheers! ;-)

5 minutes ago, Samael said:

Two different CPUs but from the same generation (same architecture) that just happen to operate at the same frequency (because of thermal throttling of the upper model or whatever...) Are they going to have Exactly the same level of  performance since they operate at exactly the same frequancy? o_O

Thanks! ;-)

Whichever has more physical cores and to a lesser extent more threads will perform better. However the one that throttles is not ideal for long term, you need to address the cooling and bring that down to safe levels otherwise you'll hurt it's lifespan.

EDIT: Just to clarify that's more cores @ same frequency and within the same manufacturer, e.g. Quad core 4GHz intel is not comparable to Quad core 4GHz AMD as single core performance varies.

The performance of a CPU relies on many different factors. So even though they may be clocked at the same frequency, they may perform different.

For instance, cpu 1 may have hyperthreading and more cache and thus outperform cpu 2. There's more to CPUs than frequencies

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

Almost, because if say you had a 6600K vs a 6500 and both running at the same frequency with turbo boost disabled than yes. the logical thing is that they'll perform equally since it's 4Cores both, same clock speed, same cache. Besides, Luke did an episode about trying to emulate different processors by downclocking a 5960X, enabling and disabling cores and HT and it sort of worked witch i think applies to your case.

Not sure if it was a 5960X or a 6950X.

Edited by LawrenceBarnes2013

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

added clarification.. :

Thank you for your replies! I figured that a bit more of clarification is needed.. we're talking about processors with the same core count and HT. However (!) - there is a difference in Cache (6MB vs 8MB)

Cheers! ;-)

26 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Whichever has more physical cores and to a lesser extent more threads will perform better. However the one that throttles is not ideal for long term, you need to address the cooling and bring that down to safe levels otherwise you'll hurt it's lifespan.

EDIT: Just to clarify that's more cores @ same frequency and within the same manufacturer, e.g. Quad core 4GHz intel is not comparable to Quad core 4GHz AMD as single core performance varies.

21 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

The performance of a CPU relies on many different factors. So even though they may be clocked at the same frequency, they may perform different.

For instance, cpu 1 may have hyperthreading and more cache and thus outperform cpu 2. There's more to CPUs than frequencies

18 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

Almost, because if say you had a 6600K vs a 6500 and both running at the same frequency with turbo boost disabled than yes. the logical thing is that they'll perform equally since it's 4Cores both, same clock speed, same cache. Besides, Luke did an episode about trying to emulate different processors by downclocking a 5960X, enabling and disabling cores and HT and it sort of worked witch i think applies to your case.

Not sure if it was a 5960X or a 6950X.

I've added clarification: "we're talking about processors with the same core count and HT. However (!) - there is a difference in Cache (6MB vs 8MB)"

P.S. throttling is not that uncommon for laptops..

1 minute ago, Samael said:

I've added clarification: "we're talking about processors with the same core count and HT. However (!) - there is a difference in Cache (6MB vs 8MB)"

Well that difference in cache will make a bit difference.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

5 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

Well that difference in cache will make a bit difference.

ok, thank you! Now, here is where it's coming from: (video has a timing pointer) 

Linus noticed that i7-6920HQ throttles down to 3.1GHz (same working frequency as i7-6700HQ)