"Microsoft cofounder Paul Allen may be pushing firm to ditch Bing, Xbox"

TopWargamer

http://bgr.com/2013/11/04/microsoft-cofounder-allen-bing-xbox/

As we’ve observed recently, Microsoft has really become a tale of two companies: An unstoppable juggernaut in the enterprise cloud and software market and a comparative 90-pound weakling in a consumer electronics market dominated by Apple and Samsung. Now it seems that the top investment advisor of Microsoft cofounder Paul Allen has started pushing Microsoft to cut its losses in the consumer market and embrace its identity as an enterprise-centric software company.

As Forbes notes, the head of Allen’s private investment vehicle recently told the Financial Times Investment Management Summit that Microsoft’s consumer electronics and search businesses were hurting the company’s bottom line and should be jettisoned going forward.

“The search business and even Xbox, which has been a very successful product, are detracting from [the success of the enterprise unit],” said Paul Ghaffari, who manages Allen’s $15 billion fortune. ”We would want them to focus on their best competencies. My view is there are some parts of that operation they should probably spin out, get rid of, to focus on the enterprise and focus on the cloud.”

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has said that he doesn’t think it would be wise for Microsoft to abandon the consumer software market to Apple and Google although he’ll be retiring within the next year and Microsoft will have a chance for a fresh start.

(I've highlighted some of the more important parts.)

I mean, it makes sense. It's not like Bing and Microsoft's hardware (ie Surface) were really successful. Since they recently acquired Nokia, they should just let them keep making their Windows Phones, but drop all other hardware projects, except for the Xbox, and drop Bing and whatnot. Microsoft needs to be supporting, developing, etc. on what they're actually good at and know how to do. 

COMIC SANS

Wasn't there already an article like this? Xbox, don't they make a lot of money off of the Xbox brand? That wouldn't be wise but I support Bing being ditched.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

I applaud them for trying. They put a lot of work into Bing, and yes, it still needs a little work, but to just curl up in a ball and let Google have a monopoly in search is bad for everyone. Monopolies are never good. No matter who it's from.