Programming Language

sanketp60

Programming Language  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which programming language shall I study for baseline?

5 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Pascal, Go and Python are. Scheme is not.

Scheme is the language of GNU Guile, so, basically, large parts of GIMP. Other than that, it depends what you call "complex".

OpenStack.

That's like saying a C program is written in assembly because some of the libraries it uses are written in assembly.  GIMP uses GTK+ and C so it doesn't have to bother with Scheme.

When I switched to Java (and then C), it was a breath of fresh air.  Scheme is a minimalist language by design.

I don't think we're going to agree though, so let's just let it go.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's like saying a C program is written in assembly because some of the libraries it uses are written in assembly.

In the end, all applications are written in Assembly. That's a false analogy.

GIMP uses GTK+ and C so it doesn't have to bother with Scheme.

Please take your time to read the source code completely before judging it.

When I switched to Java (and then C), it was a breath of fresh air.  Scheme is a minimalist language by design.

In opposite to C, you say?

Write in C.

4 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

In the end, all applications are written in Assembly. That's a false analogy.

Written and converted are two different things.

Let's just agree to disagree.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Sorry, but I won't agree with your wrong assumptions. I have noticed that you avoid this subject though.

Write in C.

1 minute ago, Dat Guy said:

Sorry, but I won't agree with your wrong assumptions. I have noticed that you avoid this subject though.

I didn't say agree with me.  I said agree to disagree.  I know you're opinion, and you know mine.  Arguing is pointless at this point.

@sanketp60 As I said, even though I'll never use Scheme again, I'm glad it's what I started with.  It's the reason my friends come to me for optimization.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for quick and awesome answers! Love this forum...

Python has an easier learning curve, but knowing C++ will probably be more useful.  What about Java or C#?  Their syntax is similar to C++, but have an easier learning curve.

First of all - I agree with what ZaTrox said - you will get 100 answers from 100 people so take mine with heap of salt (don't forget to delete the sand if you go for c++).

To the answer: depends what you expect from your learning.

If you need to just be able to code some little tools to help you sometimes go for Python - and I don't mean it in a way that Python is not powerful, ofc. you can do everything  with it. It's for sure one of the easiest "get-into coding language".

If you want to learn more languages in the future C++ will push you to learn a lot outside the scope other languages will require from you so you will understand many useful things just cause you will have to. And coming from C++ to some "modern" language is easier and you will get both perspectives. Coming from "modern" language to C++ can result in not understanding why you should do so many things to do what those languages provided you by default and often people will resent C++ without giving it a go or hate it if they are forced by work/school to code in it.

If you will not stop with C++ it's best because you will be prepared to most things language can throw at you.

As a side note - I would advice to be careful believing "C++ is widely used". It isn't - not in the sense you will get a job writing C++ - not unless you will go full programmer and get job in a firm that is making their own solutions and not writing on top of something and they are looking for backend programmer and they don't mind someone without 10+ years experience. The joke in the business always was that junior C++ position pays double the CEO but even tho it's junior position the prereq. is to work with 15 other languages for 20 years before applying. And it holds true still.

If you are determined go for it, you will memleak, you will segfault, you will wonder why 1/5 != 1/5, you will hate * and & symbols for a while but you will come out strong.

My opinion and the opinion of many others I've talked to: It's easier to go to simpler languages from difficult ones rather than the other way around. Learning something like C or C++ or even Assembly for that matter will teach you how everything you code in Python etc. works and will help you design your code more efficiently. If you plan to do any serious coding you will not get around learning C++ and I'd rather start learning it early. Once you have that foundation you may start using simpler languages like Python or Ruby for some tasks but you will always keep in mind what is behind that simple code. And there are things you just won't be able to do with Python.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

C++ will be the best choice for starting.It take you to the basics and also will introduce you with OOP concepts well.