General Questions About Laptops

Go to solution Solved by Pendragon,
19 minutes ago, wildgame said:

snip

Depends. Are you going to stay in your dorm and game? or be about and move around. And also disregard that video. There are so many things wrong with it that it's not even funny. It's literally misleading. The overall idea that a desktop is more value is always right, but how he goes about to explain and execute it is so fucking wrong it's hilarious. You really just need to ask yourself 3 questions.

What's your budget?

Will you be in your dorm the majority of the time?

Do you already have accessories and peripherals like a monitor, keyboard, mouse, webcam, speakers, microphone?

So, i'm a student about to enter my freshman year of college and iv been looking around for laptops that would suit my needs. I'm a gamer at heart so i need something that's powerful enough to deliver good quality game play but i also want to have portability. I'v found a couple laptops that i like :

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop        The 950$ version but when walking around how noticeable is the 6 pound weight of it, is it bulky?

http://www.razerzone.com/store/blade-selector#14-qhd-256gb        I love razer laptops but what is QHD+ comparded to Full HD and is the price point really worth it for this laptop? Also, is when you game on a small screen such as 13-14 in does it feel cramped/ does it make gaming hard? (i'm used to playing on a 24 in monitor).

So those are the 2 laptops i have found and really like but, the price point of the razer is pretty high. So, are there any laptops that are around the Dell laptop price that can compete with the dell? I know its a lot of questions but i'm new to the laptop scene and i don't want to mess up on my first purchase.

3 minutes ago, wildgame said:

So, i'm a student about to enter my freshman year of college and iv been looking around for laptops that would suit my needs. I'm a gamer at heart so i need something that's powerful enough to deliver good quality game play but i also want to have portability. I'v found a couple laptops that i like :

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop        The 950$ version but when walking around how noticeable is the 6 pound weight of it, is it bulky?

http://www.razerzone.com/store/blade-selector#14-qhd-256gb        I love razer laptops but what is QHD+ comparded to Full HD and is the price point really worth it for this laptop? Also, is when you game on a small screen such as 13-14 in does it feel cramped/ does it make gaming hard? (i'm used to playing on a 24 in monitor).

So those are the 2 laptops i have found and really like but, the price point of the razer is pretty high. So, are there any laptops that are around the Dell laptop price that can compete with the dell? I know its a lot of questions but i'm new to the laptop scene and i don't want to mess up on my first purchase.

I recommend getting a chromebook and building a computer for when you're not out and about.

My Current Rig:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO GPU: ASUS STRIX OC 1070 Motherboard: MSI Z170-A Gaming M5 Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400 Storage: A-Data Premier 240GB SSD/Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM Case: NZXT S340 PSU: Corsair RM750i Monitors: Acer R240HY/ Dell S2716DG

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xwcjLD

19 minutes ago, wildgame said:

snip

Depends. Are you going to stay in your dorm and game? or be about and move around. And also disregard that video. There are so many things wrong with it that it's not even funny. It's literally misleading. The overall idea that a desktop is more value is always right, but how he goes about to explain and execute it is so fucking wrong it's hilarious. You really just need to ask yourself 3 questions.

What's your budget?

Do you already have accessories and peripherals like a monitor, keyboard, mouse, webcam, speakers, microphone?

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

2 hours ago, wildgame said:

So, I'll try to be objective in my response and give you as informative of an answer as possible. 6 pounds of weight can be bulky if you're running around your university all day going to classes, LAN parties, grabbing food with friends, and etc. However, I don't think it'll be quite as bad if your laptop is most of the weight. Just keep in mind that most gaming laptops are pretty bulky.

As for the Razer, I think their QHD+ is a strange point between the usual 1440p and 4K display. Is the price point worth it? Not really sure. It would be easy if you told us what type of games you want to play at what quality/frames per second and what your budget is.

There is the new Lenovo Legion laptop that will be arriving soon that might be a great option for you and if your budget stretches up to $2K, like that Razer laptop does, Asus has some great gaming laptops with similar specs as the Razer. MSI has also been producing gaming laptops for awhile now so that might be another direction for you to check out.

1 hour ago, Pendragon said:

What's your budget?

Budget seems to be between $950 - $2000

BUT if you want display http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-13-laptop/dkcwkble4s 

Its better than a Razer, it has a 13.3 inch QHD (2560 x 1440) OLED Anti-Glare 400-nits Display with Touch Technology vs Razers Display: 14.0" IGZO QHD+, 16:9 Ratio, 3200 x 1800, with LED backlight, with capacitive multi-touch

512GB PCIe SSD (Boot) vs Storage: 256GB SSD (PCIe M.2)

Average weight: 2.6kgs (5.8lbs) VS Razers Approx. Weight: 4.30 lbs. / 1.95 kg

Overall its better (i think) for the same price.

but for College and university get a Mac like 2010 Mac you will have $1600 left over for a good desktop, best of both worlds. up to you.

8 hours ago, Lacrimas said:

What's wrong with the video?

Chromebooks at that price point are ungodly bearable to use. Most of them have poor trackpads, keyboards, PWM screens that are harmful to health. The guy who made the damn video actively uses his Macbook Pro so he never actually used a Chromebook so he has no say in this. Secondly the guy doesn't know jack shit about electronics from the fact that he's like only there's an 8gb ssd. It's a SSHD with a 8gb flash cache. Thirdly, he doesn't include the cost of peripherals and utilities that a laptop brings that a barebone desktop doesn't have, namely, keyboard, mouse, monitor, webcam, microphone, speakers, wifi card. Include all of that into the price point AND a laptop and then we can talk. 

So for around 1000 dollars you get a shit laptop with a shit desktop missing the majority of peripherals. Oh you want to Skype someone? shit, I don't have a webcam. That's why the idea of getting a light-weight laptop and a desktop only starts to apply once you've crossed the 1.5k to 2k budget because that's when you can start building a decent desktop with good peripherals and a reasonable lightweight notebook (could be a used Thinkpad, those go for like 300-400). 

@wildgame the IGZO QHD on the 14in is shit. It's super dated IGZO tech that in modern day standards is complete trash in terms of color and accuracy. The FHD is much better. But you should get the Dell. No reason to pay another 1000 for the same performance. The 1060 in the Blade throttles so hard in sustained loads that a unthrottled oced 1050ti can get close to it.  

Laptop Main

47 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

@wildgame the IGZO QHD on the 14in is shit. It's super dated IGZO tech that in modern day standards is complete trash in terms of color and accuracy. The FHD is much better. But you should get the Dell. No reason to pay another 1000 for the same performance. The 1060 in the Blade throttles so hard in sustained loads that a unthrottled oced 1050ti can get close to it.  

dell is  Weight: Starting at 5.76lbs (2.62Kg) alienware is Average weight: 2.6kgs (5.8lbs)

What about the OLED display? is it good? I never saw it in person so i don't know. I do think Alienware and Dell are the same thing and if you are thinking of spending 2k for a 13inch.... why not a 15 or a MSI? If its size then 13 Alienware might be better but it has that "gamer" stigma to it (which is kind of stupid)

Suggestion Razer is crap. Anything after they changed there Blackwidow to the chinese knockoff of Cherry is crap.

IF you are dead spent on spending 2k Buy a laptop for 1.7k then spend the rest $300 on $100 for CM Storm Rapid-i + $65 logitech g502 mouse.

This is portable 

6 minutes ago, NA_NotAvailable said:

What about the OLED display? is it good? I never saw it in person so i don't know. I do think Alienware and Dell are the same thing and if you are thinking of spending 2k for a 13inch.... why not a 15 or a MSI? If its size then 13 Alienware might be better but it has that "gamer" stigma to it (which is kind of stupid)

OLED is great. One of the best displays on the market. But there are other issues with this tech as this is still a first gen screen. Longevity and burn in has never been tested so even though I still believe it's the best-looking screen (save maybe bar the AUO B173), there are few things nagging me that I wouldn't exactly take a dive in. 

Laptop Main