Surface Pro 4 vs iPad 5

Land of What If

I'm doing graphic design in college on a budget and looking for the best portable way to get it done right now all I have is a lg g5 don't have a set budget but I'm not looking to upgrade any time soon so if anything for a little more is better please let me know right now all I know is Surface Pro 4 or iPad 5 may be the best choice

I don't think there is iPad 5

iPad 4th gen

iPad Air 1 and Air 2

iPad Pro are what I remember

I would go for Surface Book. Windows is much nicer than a mobile iOS. Having used both 

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Windows is much nicer than a mobile iOS. Having used both 

I tend to disagree. I own a SP3 and I would much rather it be an iPad Pro. Windows sucks as a mobile/touch OS. Although, I do only really use it to take notes with the stylus. So I'm not really taking advantage of the perks of Windows compared to iOS but I am dealing with all the drawbacks. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

I tend to disagree. I own a SP3 and I would much rather it be an iPad Pro. Windows sucks as a mobile/touch OS. Although, I do only really use it to take notes with the stylus. So I'm not really taking advantage of the perks of Windows compared to iOS but I am dealing with all the drawbacks. 

I don't recall a pen to be available on other ipad but the pros. If I am not mistaken, most Surface have a pen. That's one thing

Yeah Windows sucks as a mobile but not that much. Though the usability of the OS itself could cover it.

I had a iPad 2 with iOS 9. The main problem is lack of customization option (if not Jailbreak which in some case could violate stuff) which Windows can do it with ease. 

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I don't recall a pen to be available on other ipad but the pros. If I am not mistaken, most Surface have a pen. That's one thing

Yeah Windows sucks as a mobile but not that much. Though the usability of the OS itself could cover it.

I had a iPad 2 with iOS 9. The main problem is lack of customization option (if not Jailbreak which in some case could violate stuff) which Windows can do it with ease. 

I said iPad Pro for a reason. 

And no, I really hate using my SP3 for much more than taking handwritten notes. The type cover is crap, the trackpad is awful, and the Windows UI offers such an awful experience for touch. Also, I've used an iPhone for the past 3.5 years after having used Android for years (and being a power user in general), and I really don't find myself with any reason to jailbreak. So I don't really see why that would be the case on an iPad either (again, for me). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

u can do a lot more with a Surface Pro than an iPad and plus u have more RAM and u can expand ur storage with a microSD unlike iPad

My PCPartPicker - 1st Build

10 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I don't think there is iPad 5

iPad 4th gen

iPad Air 1 and Air 2

iPad Pro are what I remember

I would go for Surface Book. Windows is much nicer than a mobile iOS. Having used both 

I'm not sure what the latest and greatest is my experience is that I'm a dinosaur according to T-Mobile so I'm not up to date a eBay search showed I pad 5s for 500ish I don't know what jumber apple is up to any more lol Never been an apple fan but if ipad is best for what I want to do ill get one I'm leaning to surface as well because I prefer windows over apple but if had it in the back of my mind is be able to put whatever os I want on an ipad can anyone confirm that for me

10 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I know apple has there own pen from what if seen surface works with most 3rd party pens I'm not sure if that's true or not also was told apple wasn't and even the 3rd party pens are over priced

19 hours ago, Land of What If said:

I'm doing graphic design in college on a budget and looking for the best portable way to get it done right now all I have is a lg g5 don't have a set budget but I'm not looking to upgrade any time soon so if anything for a little more is better please let me know right now all I know is Surface Pro 4 or iPad 5 may be the best choice

I have a Surface Pro 4. So long as you buy the core m3 or i5 version then you'll be fine.

There is no iPad 5 by the way. It's either iPad Pro (already a year old) or iPad Air 2 (2 years old).

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

9 hours ago, Land of What If said:

I'm not sure what the latest and greatest is my experience is that I'm a dinosaur according to T-Mobile so I'm not up to date a eBay search showed I pad 5s for 500ish I don't know what jumber apple is up to any more lol Never been an apple fan but if ipad is best for what I want to do ill get one I'm leaning to surface as well because I prefer windows over apple but if had it in the back of my mind is be able to put whatever os I want on an ipad can anyone confirm that for me

Apple hasn't released a numerical based iPad for years. The last number based iPad name was iPad 4. After that it was iPad Air, iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro (12.9" and 9.7")

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

10 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I have a Surface Pro 4. So long as you buy the core m3 or i5 version then you'll be fine.

There is no iPad 5 by the way. It's either iPad Pro (already a year old) or iPad Air 2 (2 years old).

I was thinking i7 but sounds like surface anyway a lot more buck but wanted to do it right I hear apple has a lot of "software" and sometimes is useful for something

For me, the big draw to a Surface over the iPad is the ability to have a proper file system.  One major drawback for me with iOS is that I cannot just DL a file and have it stored on the device and then transfer it to another device via Bluetooth etc.

Seriously considering the Surface 3 given their price point for a workhorse for 2017 to replace my smashed laptop after my crash in October.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1 hour ago, Land of What If said:

I was thinking i7 but sounds like surface anyway a lot more buck but wanted to do it right I hear apple has a lot of "software" and sometimes is useful for something

I have the SP4 i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB Storage model.

The battery life isn't great (it kinda sucks). I regret not buying the i5 or the core M instead. The i7 models are way too overpriced.

1 hour ago, Kierax said:

For me, the big draw to a Surface over the iPad is the ability to have a proper file system.  One major drawback for me with iOS is that I cannot just DL a file and have it stored on the device and then transfer it to another device via Bluetooth etc.

Seriously considering the Surface 3 given their price point for a workhorse for 2017 to replace my smashed laptop after my crash in October.

Make sure to get the 4GB RAM model........

2GB is just not enough.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Make sure to get the 4GB RAM model........

2GB is just not enough.

Sounds fair.  

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.