"Overclocking" Monitor - does it hurt?

Alright lads, here's what's up. I fooled around in the nvidia control panel and realized that I could set a custom refreshrate, regardless of what the specifications of my screen read. So I started cranking up dem numbers and testing it in Unigine Valley on low to get proper framerates in fullscreen on 1440p, both with VSync on and off. If read up some articles about this online and go figure, it worked - with vertical sync enabled, the framerates dialed in at 60, 75, 80 and 90 Hz respectively. I started to get minor artifacts at 90Hz, so I dialed it back to 80Hz.

I have yet to test whether I feel any difference in faster paced games or notice any kind of misbehavior, but on a more general note: does running a screen at a higher refreshrate than its intended one do any harm to it? Recently, there have been some monitors with "overclocking" features built right into the menu, but I've never tried it on a regular one (screen is an Asus PB278QR 27" QHD screen usually running at 60Hz.

Best

Chris

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

3 minutes ago, Speakerator said:

-snip-

It will reduce the life span a bit. Well those monitors are built to run at high refresh rates, that's why they cost so much.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

I have an Acer Predator X34 which is 60Hz by default but allows you to "overclock" to 100Hz.  I definitely notice the difference over 60Hz in fast paced games such as Doom but not so much in other titles like Civ 6.  I've had the monitor running at 100Hz for about a year now and there has been no harm to it that I can tell.

afaik it can shorten lifespan and increase heat output

go for it

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

In my own experience, yes. I killed my laptop panel by clocking it to 80 Hz from 60, and had to install a new one. That being said, I have two displays that heartily accept 75 Hz out of the box, a Gateway 1200p monitor from 2008 that will refuse anything over 75 (probably a safety feature) and a cheapo Dell 4:3. Side note: Most Dell displays clock to 75 Hz really well, I got about 50 of them in my computer lab in High School up to 75.

1 minute ago, Lacrimas said:

2 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

sniop

2 minutes ago, icebag said:

snip

3 minutes ago, vong said:

snip

Alright, thank y'all. I'll have a look into the link. One year isn't much for a monitor, I have a screen that is around a decade old and works like a charm. I'll have an eye on the heat. On the other hand, breaking it might be a great justification to get a 21:9, which'd require a new GPU, itself needing a new CPU, MoBo and RAm and... brb, checking my balance.. :D

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

1 minute ago, Speakerator said:

Alright, thank y'all. I'll have a look into the link. One year isn't much for a monitor, I have a screen that is around a decade old and works like a charm. I'll have an eye on the heat. On the other hand, breaking it might be a great justification to get a 21:9, which'd require a new GPU, itself needing a new CPU, MoBo and RAm and... brb, checking my balance.. :D

I did not say sniop I clearly said snip

/s

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

2 minutes ago, EthanCGamer said:

In my own experience, yes. I killed my laptop panel by clocking it to 80 Hz from 60, and had to install a new one. That being said, I have two displays that heartily accept 75 Hz out of the box, a Gateway 1200p monitor from 2008 that will refuse anything over 75 (probably a safety feature) and a cheapo Dell 4:3. Side note: Most Dell displays clock to 75 Hz really well, I got about 50 of them in my computer lab in High School up to 75.

im just here wondering how the hell you managed to overclock a lapopt panel, iv tried but nothing has worked :( 

i have all my monitors overclocked, all with a base frequency of 60Hz and i have one running 66Hz, one 75Hz and one 77Hz and i can honestly say i will never play anything on a 60Hz panel ever again if i dont have to. 77Hz is on my main monitor and its amazing how much of a differance it makes, also never encountred artifacting when overclocking monitors so thats a first for me, it either works or dosent from what iv tried. as for the downsides it will increase heat output and will shorten the lifespan by a little bit but i would doubt longer then a few days tbh.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Snip

I have a Quadro K2100M, which allows me to use all the Nvidia control panel features with any monitor (I think). It's a mobile Quadro, so that's how I OC'd my panel. I don't recommend doing that unless your manufacturer advertises overclock-ability. Dell didn't for their laptop panels, but their desktop panels are good to OC to 75 Hz, just no higher for the old ones or else the screen will screw up.

9 hours ago, EthanCGamer said:

I have a Quadro K2100M, which allows me to use all the Nvidia control panel features with any monitor (I think). It's a mobile Quadro, so that's how I OC'd my panel. I don't recommend doing that unless your manufacturer advertises overclock-ability. Dell didn't for their laptop panels, but their desktop panels are good to OC to 75 Hz, just no higher for the old ones or else the screen will screw up.

yah my laptop has a AMD R7 350M(its not actiually a 350M, but that what the drivers think) and i havent found a way, there was suposed to be a way that worked with CRU but that didnt work at all lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016