PC randomly freeze and screen distorted

dlink377

I don't know if this is the right forum to post for, please just move to the correct forum if incorrectly posted.

First of all, PC specs: Dell 7040M Small Form Factor PC, Intel 6500T, 16GB Samsung DDR4 RAM (8GBx2), SAMSUNG PM951 256GB M.2 NVME SSD, HGST 1TB 7200rpm 2,5" HDD, Intel 8260 AC Wireless on M2. Running Windows 10 (no new updates on Windows Update)

This PC randomly freeze and the screen is distorted when it does so. I must manually unplug the adapter and reconnect it to reboot the system. This is very random, but at least once a day. Usually when I am using the computer, not when just idling or downloading stuff on background. It doesn't even ever happened when on my gaming session, such as Dota 2 or The Sims 4. Usually when using the browser or using Word/Excel.

Driver recently updated while trying to fix the issue (the issue happened even before updating drivers):

• graphic driver is using latest Intel version, not custom Dell
  • Intel Proset Wireless Driver
  • Intel Proset Ethernet Driver
  • Intel Bluetooth Driver

There are no visible capacitor bulge on the motherboard. This is quite new, just three weeks (I got it from my friend). The similar PC (Dell 3040M), doesn't have the same problem.

Already done 45 mins of CPU stress test with AIDA64. No problems. Temp hovers around 55C all the time.

Please tell me what should I do next.

Thanks

Can you take a picture of what you mean by the screen is "disorted" next time it happens? I am just curious :D

For me it seems like it might be a hardware problem.

And the correct place to post this would be in Troubleshooting, A Mod can probably move it.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

9 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Can you take a picture of what you mean by the screen is "disorted" next time it happens? I am just curious :D

For me it seems like it might be a hardware problem.

And the correct place to post this would be in Troubleshooting, A Mod can probably move it.

Sure, I will take a picture next time it happens. Now I am using it, so it might be happening soon.

If this is a hardware problem, how do I explain the problem and show the problem to the Dell technician? I can just call them to come over, but I need to show them the problem, and unfortunately it is random concurrence. 

Do I need to contact the mod, or the mod will just move it automatically?

A mod will move it if one of them sees it probably :)

I dont know how to explain it, but you could at least take a picture/video of it and show them or something?
But I am not sure its a hardware problem, but it might be.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 10.1.2017 at 0:37 PM, dlink377 said:

Do I need to contact the mod, or the mod will just move it automatically?

There's a Report button for that purpose. But don't worry about it, I did it for you.

I would say this can be any various of issues. Its not stressing related, so probably mobo issue. But it could be SSD too.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 4 months later...

i'm back. until now this pc still have this problem, at least once a  day.

it never happened on gaming session, however it could happen on idle (such as on the game menu idling).

upgrading firmware doesn't solve the issue, and I already updated all the driver to the latest.

One thing I noticed, when I swap ram slot 1 to 2 and 2 to 1, the system will not boot. I need to swap it back. ram test from dell diagnostic doesn't find problem, and memtest86+ also passes without problem. it is possible one of the ram failed?

Swapped the nvme ssd doesn't fix it, it also happened on fresh install of windows on new ssd.