The House Where Steve Jobs Grew Up is Now a “Historic Resource”

Snickerzz

Sounds like he had a disorder?

Probably a few, one of which is often called "being a huge douchebag". But yeah it probably had a few disorders, OCPD (note: note OCD) being one of them. He was also narcissistic, and he only ate fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds (when Ashton Kutcher tried to follow the same diet as Steve Jobs he ended up in a hospital, it is not a healthy diet).

Edit: Oh and here is my copy of his biography, in case someone was thinking of calling me a liar and accuse me of not having read his book (read a bit in it from time to time).

post-216-0-85225300-1384089558_thumb.jpg

Im just going say that if you take a look at history a lot of people who have been ground breakers werent necessarily nice or 100% mentally sound.

Ive also seen stuff comparing serial killers to big business name or something like that it not in a bad way but like the methods and though process used were close. So I guess it depends on how mentally sound you are, your personality, and how you apply it. Reminds me I think ive sorta seen the same stuff comparing successful dictators possibly.

My memory is not then best for remembering this type of stuff so sorry for not posting anything really concrete.

Next time, don't initialize yourself in the way that you did. Seriously, go back and read your comment, it makes you sound pretty bad when other's have no premise to work off.

Mainstream media didn't report Dennis Ritchie's death because it's modern mainstream media. Do you honestly expect them too? Jobs was in the current media spectacle, the head one of the most valuable companies in the world, and had a gigantic following. Thousands of good people who've achieved great things die every year and their deaths go unreported by mainstream media, why do you need to make such a big deal about Dennis Ritchie? According to your profile you're 20, did YOU even know who he was before you knew he died? Honestly, if he passed 6 months later than he did, you wouldn't care, and it wouldn't be part of this conversation. You even almost managed to exactly quote a picture I saw a while ago that had Jobs and Ritchie next to each other following their deaths basically saying 'omg if you don't know this guy you're a terrible person'. Do you really expect the average person to know that who created a programming language and contributed to UNIX several decades ago? They are completely different people, from completely different backgrounds, with completely different media profiles.

It's very obvious that he did some really asshole things, but there are so many businessmen that have done just as bad and even worse than Jobs, and just like you pointed out, he suffered from diagnosed personality disorders and I hardly see this as grounds for basing hate on someone. Do you really hate someone for doing something they can't help? I bet if you had a family member with a personality disorder you'd be a little more forgiving. Additionally, half of the articles you linked are sensationalist and bullshit to get clicks. The comment saying 'oh, no proof of anonymous donations!' - stop making yourself sound silly.

Also, I struggle to see the stuff about his raw vegan diets is related. Thousands of people maintain diets like these, even in the western world (who cares about Ashton Kutcher? He butchered the shit out of that movie).

I don't think of Steve Jobs in a positive or negative light, I am indifferent to his achievements and his history. He had the closest to anyone has had at a perfect eye for design. The Apple aesthetic and build is unmatched, and even though this is subjective, it's very hard to look past, and it's still present to this day. It is undeniable that his drive pushed Apple to a level far beyond it would have gone without him (see: steep fall of Apple after he left, gradual fall of Apple now), and this in turn has single-handedly pushed the mobile computing consumer market very, very far. Farther than otherwise no doubt. You may want to go and say, 'oh I wish he never created Apple', or similar, but you simply cannot deny what he and in turn Apple, did for the consumer technology market. Look past the fanboy shit and crap that is spread by haters, don't be so narrow minded.

I'm out, you guys that hate Apple just as blindly as the ones that follow are as infinitely frustrating as you are amusing. Sorry if correcting ignorance and arrogance gets the thread locked. Have a nice day  :)

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Mainstream media didn't report Dennis Ritchie's death because it's modern mainstream media. Do you honestly expect them too? Jobs was in the current media spectacle, the head one of the most valuable companies in the world, and had a gigantic following. Thousands of good people who've achieved great things die every year and their deaths go unreported by mainstream media, why do you need to make such a big deal about Dennis Ritchie? According to your profile you're 20, did YOU even know who he was before you knew he died? Honestly, if he passed 6 months later than he did, you wouldn't care, and it wouldn't be part of this conversation. You even almost managed to exactly quote a picture I saw a while ago that had Jobs and Ritchie next to each other following their deaths basically saying 'omg if you don't know this guy you're a terrible person'.

Yes I knew who Dennis was before he died. I think you should know a bit of history if you're interested in something, so for me it's computers, so I know the basic history of the Internet, some programming languages (in this case C), Microsoft, Apple etc.

I am not blaming mainstream media for not reporting on his death (a lot of them actually did, like the BBC, New York Times, The Guardian etc), of course they will report on what's popular. I will however blame the mainstream media as well as your average "tech enthusiast" for glorifying Steve Jobs and not caring enough for people who really deserve the respect.

I would have cared if he had passed away 6 months later, but I might not have brought him up in this conversation. It is a good example of how wrongly people are prioritized because of the time he died.

Do you really expect the average person to know that who created a programming language and contributed to UNIX several decades ago? They are completely different people, from completely different backgrounds, with completely different media profiles.

That's why I said "computer-enthusiast". I don't expect the average person to know who was the CEO of the company that made the iPhone either, but for some reason they do. Yes, I know they had completely different media profiles. That's exactly my point though. I don't get why Jobs, who was a really bad person, gets praised and so much attention while people who has done much more don't. Steve Job's old house  becomes a historic resource? Why?

It's very obvious that he did some really asshole things, but there are so many businessmen that have done just as bad and even worse than Jobs, and just like you pointed out, he suffered from diagnosed personality disorders and I hardly see this as grounds for basing hate on someone. Do you really hate someone for doing something they can't help? I bet if you had a family member with a personality disorder you'd be a little more forgiving.

Just because other people have been as bad or worse does not make what Jobs did alright. I am not saying he is the most evil man in the universe, of course not. What bothers me is that people worship him as a God and think he was a nice guy, when he wasn't. I don't hate him because he had mental issues, I hate him for the things he did. Yes I would be more forgiving if he was my family member. I would be more forgiving if for example one of my family members stole something as well, compared to if some random stranger stole something. I don't really see your point here... I don't think you can just ignore all the bad things he did just because he had mental issues. I mean, if we discovered that Stalin (just to be 100% clear, I am not trying to say Steve Jobs was anywhere near as bad as Stalin) had mental issues I wouldn't forgive him for all the horrible things he did. It would explain why he did them, but I would not suddenly think he was a nice guy.

Additionally, half of the articles you linked are sensationalist and bullshit to get clicks. The comment saying 'oh, no proof of anonymous donations!' - stop making yourself sound silly.

Care to point out a few? About half the articles are about quotes from the biography, which you can read yourself if you want. The rest of the articles has direct quotes, or are quotes from people who worked with him personally. Sure the headlines might be a bit sensationalistic, but just read the articles if you don't believe my short summaries of them. All the things I mentioned has happened, and all of them are terrible things to do. A nice person wouldn't do those things.

I don't think of Steve Jobs in a positive or negative light, I am indifferent to his achievements and his history. He had the closest to anyone has had at a perfect eye for design. The Apple aesthetic and build is unmatched, and even though this is subjective, it's very hard to look past, and it's still present to this day. It is undeniable that his drive pushed Apple to a level far beyond it would have gone without him (see: steep fall of Apple after he left, gradual fall of Apple now), and this in turn has single-handedly pushed the mobile computing consumer market very, very far. Farther than otherwise no doubt. You may want to go and say, 'oh I wish he never created Apple', or similar, but you simply cannot deny what he and in turn Apple, did for the consumer technology market. Look past the fanboy shit and crap that is spread by haters, don't be so narrow minded.

OK fair point he knew good design (he didn't design things, but he validated designs), I'll give him that. His reality distortion field is also very unique. Those things does not make him a nice person though. I never said I wish he had never created Apple, that would be stupid to say. His marketing ability has really pushed the industry forward by making the average Joe look for things like good displays. I don't hate his accomplishments, but I hate him as a person. He did change the industry, but enough to have his childhood home be classified as a historic resource? That's just silly.

The problem is, people believe apple products somehow were innovative and drove technological development.  But this is not the case, their marketing and popularization of aspects of the technology had caused a boom in the market, which is not the same.  Everything the Iphone did I was doing on either a palm, Ipaq or blackberry before hand.  The PC has a similar story, similar concepts, products and  os's were on the market before apple.   We all know apple don't claim to have invented most things, though they do insinuate it quite strongly through their IP lawsuits atm.  Also with the amount of people I meet in real life that tell me "apple invented the smart phone" or "apple invented the PC" says that their marketing insinuates a different story.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Oh god.

Apple just makes things that already exist, just worse.

No. They take things that already exist in premature or inadequate forms and make nice and easy to use packages out of them. You must not remember how god awful MP3 players were before the iPod. Or computers before the Apple II or Macintosh. Or smartphones before the iPhone. Or tablets before the iPad (Hell nothing even comes close to touching the iPad yet). They might not *invent* much, but they certainly do innovate. Especially considering most other companies just end up copying existing apple products. Like how phones are just rectangles with touch screens now. Or these things:

http://i.haymarket.net.au/News/Samsung-series-9-vs-macbook.jpg

http://files.tested.com/uploads/0/5/31631-hp_envy_15frontrightopen.jpg

. Or tablets before the iPad (Hell nothing even comes close to touching the iPad yet). They might not *invent* much, but they certainly do innovate. Especially considering most other companies just end up copying existing apple products. Like how phones are just rectangles with touch screens now.

tablets are a matter of personal opinion, I would prefer my android over my ipad2.  And I think you should look at all the rectangles with touchscreens that were on the market before the iphone before making comments like that.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

tablets are a matter of personal opinion, I would prefer my android over my ipad2.  And I think you should look at all the rectangles with touchscreens that were on the market before the iphone before making comments like that.

http://www.cultofmac.com/145083/what-phones-looked-like-before-and-after-the-iphone-transformed-the-industry-image/

And you can still buy half the phones that are in that image, you'll also note that there are rectangle phones with touch screens pre-iphone.

Iphone did not revolutionize the phone industry simple. It just mass marketed which is different.

I read through this topic and it's literally filled with people going back and forth on the 'accomplishments' of Apple.
Yet, with what the topic was originally about, being the fact Steve Job's house is now a historic resource, this conversational topic just feels slightly out of place.

In all honesty, no matter what apple has done, I don't feel that any of it warrants this current action.
It seems incredibly un-necessary, even if they had to do this, why Jobs instead of hundreds of other people who have contributed to society?
Also, his house where he grew up in? How does that play any significance into anything, other than "Hey, this guy lived here, yeah."

I read through this topic and it's literally filled with people going back and forth on the 'accomplishments' of Apple.

Yet, with what the topic was originally about, being the fact Steve Job's house is now a historic resource, this conversational topic just feels slightly out of place.

In all honesty, no matter what apple has done, I don't feel that any of it warrants this current action.

It seems incredibly necessary, even if they had to do this, why Jobs instead of hundreds of other people who have contributed to society?

Also, his house where he grew up in? How does that play any significance into anything, other than "Hey, this guy lived here, yeah."

Yeah, back on topic.....IF it were, say, the Memorial House of Mother Teresa (which already exists, but let's say it doesn't), I'd say heck yeah! But this is for one man who'd arguably helped push technology for personal use forward....but all in the name of profit (while stifling innovation). There is no selflessness involved, he was in it for the money and NOT to enrich people's lives. If this were put forth as a poll, I doubt many would support such an 'action'......hell, if anyone deserves such an honor, it should be Bill Gates.....he had donated billions to charity....something Jobs isn't known for.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

No. They take things that already exist in premature or inadequate forms and make nice and easy to use packages out of them. You must not remember how god awful MP3 players were before the iPod. Or computers before the Apple II or Macintosh. Or smartphones before the iPhone. Or tablets before the iPad (Hell nothing even comes close to touching the iPad yet). They might not *invent* much, but they certainly do innovate. Especially considering most other companies just end up copying existing apple products. Like how phones are just rectangles with touch screens now. Or these things:

http://i.haymarket.net.au/News/Samsung-series-9-vs-macbook.jpg

http://files.tested.com/uploads/0/5/31631-hp_envy_15frontrightopen.jpg

Mp3 players worked fine before the ipod, yes they could have been optimized a bit more but they wernt the root of the problem. It was the software on the pc to rip the music and put it on the device that was the iffy bit.