cable recoloring. Evga 500w

catdaddy93

Hello! 

I have a evga 500w1 power supply. I was going to use it on an upcoming build but the ugly cable colors are not that desirable. 

I was thinking maybe I could spray paint the cables with a non conducting paint. From my research I have found that people use plasti dip for projects like this. 

What do you think?

thanks! 

Processor: I7 4790k @ 4.6 ghz

Ram: 32 gb of Avexir DDR3 ram

GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9-390

PSU: 850w corsair RM series

CPU Cooler: H100i gtx

Case: Master case pro 5

Monitor: LG 29UM67P

3 minutes ago, catdaddy93 said:

Hello! 

I have a evga 500w1 power supply. I was going to use it on an upcoming build but the ugly cable colors are not that desirable. 

I was thinking maybe I could spray paint the cables with a non conducting paint. From my research I have found that people use plasti dip for projects like this. 

What do you think?

thanks! 

I would not recommend it and just get sleeved cables or extensions since it won't be super clean even with plasti-dip where it can flex and bend with the cables. 

-Moved to Modding Section- 

i just kinda wanna note that i wouldnt really recommend that power supply for a build of the level where ketchup and mustard matters.

and while the plasti-dip method "works" it's mostly considered a "10 foot mod" because it may look great from a distance, but if you get up close to it it's covered in imperfections and flaws.

- if you want to make a nice showpiece, that's not the power supply to use in the first place

- if you're making a cheaper system you shouldnt worry about ketchup and mustard

- if it's a "personal project for shits and giggles" build, i'd rather suggest you look into putting new all-black cables on the power supply, especially if you have some soldering skill. besides, rewiring that thing will most likely still be cheaper than a few cans of paint.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this PSU and I sleeved my own cables to get rid of the ketchup and mustard. I made a quick guide on how I did it here. Only cost me £2 and a couple of hours. I recommend it over plasti-dipping. Looks way nicer and is cheaper.