Is X58 still a decent platform for 1080p gaming in 2017?

Hi so recently I managed to pick up an MSI X58M microATX motherboard for $15 at my local goodwill. I was wondering is it X58 still a decent platform to use for gaming if i were to pair this board with a Xeon X5660 that I already have in my spare parts box. And the GPU im planning on putting an RX 460 or some entry level GPU. Would this combo make for a decent PC for the money or is it better of just to sell the board back on ebay for a profit. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

wow... X58 for $15?.... makes me cry that i cant get that deal, X58 motherboards are all like $130+... yes it will be great, you can get some chips that get close to the current X99 chips if you overclock to about 4GHz or higher, a RX 460 will almost put the CPUs you can get for cheap to shame lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

man,  we have a goodwill computer store here called goodbytes and they laugh at me everytime I come in trying to find something decent (I stop by once a week since it's next to my climbing gym) 

I guess they just keep it all for themselves.... bastards

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

2 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

man,  we have a goodwill computer store here called goodbytes and they laugh at me everytime I come in trying to find something decent (I stop by once a week since it's next to my climbing gym) 

or are they secretly called badbytes

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 minute ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

I stop by my goodwill once a week as well, back in July I picked up an ASUS P6T X58 for $20. Then i built a PC with it for around $100 and sold it on CL for $400. Now since I managed to pick up a microATX version, I most likely am going to keep this PC if it can perform well, which is my question here  

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

3 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

be happy you have one, there is nothing like that where i live... would love if there were but prople just thow out all there stuff when they dont use it. iv seen cases and parts in the electronics scraps bin for thousands of dollars but i cant touch it because it was the previous owners decition to give it to resycling instead of selling it and after its been dropped you cant do anything about it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

20 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

be happy you have one

there has literally been nothing there but antiquated parts and systems that no one should be using.  A couple c2q systems were the best to be had and priced over 100$ with no gpu....  They had agp cards and ide drives in display cases haha

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

5 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

there has literally been nothing there but antiquated parts and systems that no one should be using.  A couple c2q systems were the best to be had and priced over 100$ with no gpu....  They had agp cards and ide drives in display cases haha

wow thats sad, but id rather have that just for cheap cases or something rather then nothing at all

Builds:

Spoiler