AMD Ryzen Speculation

Go to solution Solved by Froody129,
Just now, jappypack said:

Yeah just a name change due to trademark issues I think.

Too bad, I preferred Zen.

Oh well, seems like there's always something new on the hoRyzen 

(I'll show myself out)

45 minutes ago, App4that said:

Time stamp 5:34

Single thread performance. The 7700k scores 196. The 9590 scores 110. add 40% and the score for AMD is 154.

That places Ryzen 22% behind the 7700k in single thread performance. 

You mean 60%?

The 9590's piledriver architecture, Ryzen is a 40% increase from excavator, (that ipc gain is increasing) and it should translate to about, well, +22% for Ryzen.

7 minutes ago, jappypack said:

You mean 60%?

The 9590's piledriver architecture, Ryzen is a 40% increase from excavator, (that ipc gain is increasing) and it should translate to about, well, +22% for Ryzen.

So show your evidence. Because so far the best hope for Ryzen is about Haswell single thread. Which isn't bad. Just not beating Kabylake. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

11 hours ago, App4that said:

So show your evidence. Because so far the best hope for Ryzen is about Haswell single thread. Which isn't bad. Just not beating Kabylake. 

Ryzen outperforms Haswell in IPC but in terms of performance it's competing against Broadwell-E. The one thing that can save it is price.

5 hours ago, jappypack said:

Ryzen outperforms Haswell in IPC but in terms of performance it's competing against Broadwell-E. The one thing that can save it is price.

Where's your evidence? The only test thats been shown by AMD disproved that.

22 hours ago, App4that said:

Differ all you want. Truth is no Ryzen Q1.

"Speaking of which, while AMD wouldn’t commit to a hard launch date for Ryzen, Hallock did give a glimpse at when not to expect Ryzen, which will launch this quarter. “When companies say first quarter or first half, people assume that means the very end of that time frame,” Hallock said. “The very last day of Q1 is not our trajectory.”

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3155109/computers/new-amd-ryzen-details-revealed-overclocking-crossfire-lineup-info-and-more.html

But I appreciate the begging. 

your quote specifically says it will launch this quarter. It will launch this quarter, and they don't mean the last day, is what your source says...

1 minute ago, atavax said:

your quote specifically says it will launch this quarter. It will launch this quarter, and they don't mean the last day, is what your source says...

That interpretation is possible. I've seen it interpreted both ways now. Though if we were looking at Q1 there's no excuse to not have released pricing, other than it's too high.  

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

That interpretation is possible. I've seen it interpreted both ways now. Though if we were looking at Q1 there's no excuse to not have released pricing, other than it's too high.  

so your interpretation is that instead of saying " Hallock did give a glimpse at when not to expect Ryzen, this quarter " it makes perfect gramatical sense to say "Hallock did give a glimpse at when not to expect Ryzen, which will launch this quarter"? Also, if he already said it wasn't going to launch this quarter, isn't it redundant to say it won't launch the last day of the quarter? Come on, man, just admit you fucked up.

Also the am4 mobos are announced to release before the end of March, so they're just going to release motherboards with no working cpus?

1 minute ago, atavax said:

so your interpretation is that instead of saying " Hallock did give a glimpse at when not to expect Ryzen, this quarter " it makes perfect gramatical sense to say " Hallock did give a glimpse at when not to expect Ryzen, which will launch this quarter"? Also, if he already said it wasn't going to launch this quarter, isn't it redundant to say it won't launch the last day of the quarter? Come on, man, just admit you fucked up.

Semantics is tricky, and I'm trained to see multiple interpretations. Life isn't black and white. Already said I messed up and missed that interpretation. But we still have at least two possibilities, which means the comment was purposefully vague, or just poorly delivered. 

Have another source for Q1: http://www.overclockers.com/ces-2017-amd-gives-ryzen-and-vega-details/

They have met with AMD, and not just repeating reports elsewhere. The Feb part is their interpretation on the "not the end of Q1" part.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, atavax said:

ok, i missed you correcting yourself, my bad.

No worries mate. 

AMD being silent while Kabylake is launched is troubling. May be my paranoia but AMD could release pricing and take the wind out of Kabylake's sail. AMD staying quiet bothers me. 

22 minutes ago, App4that said:

AMD being silent while Kabylake is launched is troubling. May be my paranoia but AMD could release pricing and take the wind out of Kabylake's sail. AMD staying quiet bothers me. 

I just really, really hope they announce the prices by the end of the day. It's starting to piss me off. At this point, they've said everything meaningful they can except for price, but they just keep talking.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

6 hours ago, App4that said:

No worries mate. 

idk, couldn't it just be that they don't want to give intel time to adjust their pricing. The more compelling it is to buy AMD the day it launches, the better the PR.

bulldozer was a bad architecture, and it has taken AMD this long to design a new one, but there is really no reason why this one should not be at least comparable to Intel in price and performance.