60hz over 144hz is it worth it?

Anassagora69

Hey guys i was wondering if it was worth buying a 144hz monitor over a 60hz one, i saw a video that states that the human eye can barely tell the difference between the two,( but i will sure see the difference in my wallet), so i was just wondering if it was worth the extra money.

It depends on the sorts of games you're going to be playing, and whether you think it would be helpful for you -- and also whether you could even drive it adequately with your current setup.

I really suggest you go to a store that would have demo units that would let you experience the difference before you decided to buy.

Sig under construction.

Depends on the games, if you're playing strategy games (LoL, SC2, etc.) then not really. Shooters like CSGO then maybe. Rythem games like Osu! or Mania definitely you'll notice a difference. 

But like Tedster said, getting of a demo of one first will really be a good idea so you can get a feel for it; also you need the hardware that supports that kind of frame rate on those games too. 

3 minutes ago, Anassagora69 said:

Hey guys i was wondering if it was worth buying a 144hz monitor over a 60hz one, i saw a video that states that the human eye can barely tell the difference between the two,( but i will sure see the difference in my wallet), so i was just wondering if it was worth the extra money.

I would go with the 60HZ. I did a test with two monitors from the same brand and couldn't tell the difference at all.

You can DEFINITELY tell the difference between 60hz and 144hz. On NCIX there's a video of the 'average gamer' trying to tell the difference and another with Linus trying to tell the difference. If you're into serious gaming then I would go with a 144hz monitor but if you're just a filthy casual 60hz will be fine. Also you probably heard that information from a console peasant who says you don't need more than 30fps.

You can most definitely see more than 60Hz, the difference between 60Hz and 144Hz is a big one. 

Whether it's really worth it depends on what kind of things you're doing. If you're gaming, you need to consider what types of games you're playing and whether you're actually going to be getting enough FPS to take advantage of the higher refresh rate. FPS and other fast paced games typically benefit the most from higher refresh rates. 

Just now, HoneyBooBoo said:

You can DEFINITELY tell the difference between 60hz and 144hz. On NCIX there's a video of the 'average gamer' trying to tell the difference and another with Linus trying to tell the difference. If you're into serious gaming then I would go with a 144hz monitor but if you're just a filthy casual 60hz will be fine. Also you probably heard that information from a console peasant who says you don't need more than 30fps.

Yup, and the average gamer seemed to fail, and Linus knew exactly what was going on from experience. That was a 120hz monitor they played with.

Sig under construction.

1 minute ago, Anassagora69 said:

human eye can barely tell the difference between the two

That's not true. You can "feel" a difference, but the question is: Do you care?

I'm running a 100hz panel right now and it's nice for faster games like fast shooters, but for other games I don't see any real benefit.

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

27 minutes ago, Anassagora69 said:

i saw a video that states that the human eye can barely tell the difference between the two

That is a myth that has been around since they started making film. The old black and white movies where run at 12-15fps and because of that, so did people believe our eyes could not see more then fps then that.

I mean, this proves other wise:

The USAF, in testing their pilots for visual response time, used a simple test to see if the pilots could distinguish small changes in light. In their experiment a picture of an aircraft was flashed on a screen in a dark room at 1/220th of a second. Pilots were consistently able to "see" the afterimage as well as identify the aircraft. This simple and specific situation not only proves the ability to percieve 1 image within 1/220 of a second, but the ability to interpret higher FPS.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

41 minutes ago, Anassagora69 said:

i saw a video that states that the human eye can barely tell the difference between the two

Nonsense. Difference is extremely noticable when u get steady 144FPS in games. The person in the video was either reading a script from someone who has low knowledge about technology and frame rates or has some visual disadvantage and truly cant tell a difference.

The game will run much smoother if your GPU can provide the FPS and make the experience much more enjoyable. It will not make u a better player.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

44 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

You can definitely notice the difference... anybody saying you don't is plain lying to you.

Go and see it for yourself at a local PC store or something.

I changed from 144 to 165 even.

Wow how much did ur pc setup cost, if you dont mind me asking, also i will have a 1080 with an i7 kaby, do you think i will be able to run games with that?

Just now, Aaron86V said:

Depends on the game you're playing, but you can definitely see a difference if it's something like an FPS game. 

Gotcha thanks

I have the same question in my mind as OP. I want a new monitor but can't really decide should I go for 75hz FreeSync or save up and go for 144hz FreeSync. The only game where I see advantage of it is CSGO, other than that I really don't know if I should throw extra 80 euros for 144hz.

2 minutes ago, Emzijs said:

I have the same question in my mind as OP. I want a new monitor but can't really decide should I go for 75hz FreeSync or save up and go for 144hz FreeSync. The only game where I see advantage of it is CSGO, other than that I really don't know if I should throw extra 80 euros for 144hz.

Yeah kinda complicated.

The difference between 144Hz and 60Hz is night and day. Definitely worth it. 

Even at the desktop just throwing to mouse around, you'll see it. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

The difference between 60 and 80hz is huge, IMO. Quickly pan the screen side-to-side in a FPS, and you'll see. On the 60hz, it's like a choppy and indistinguishable mess, while on the 80hz display, all the elements in view retain their definition throughout the panning, and the environment remains much more solid and visually-coherent throughout the fast panning.

3 hours ago, iiNNeX said:

You can definitely notice the difference... anybody saying you don't is plain lying to you.

Go and see it for yourself at a local PC store or something.

I changed from 144 to 165 even.

Do you notice the difference between 144 and 165?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

11 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

The difference between 60 and 80hz is huge, IMO. Quickly pan the screen side-to-side in a FPS, and you'll see. On the 60hz, it's like a choppy and indistinguishable mess, while on the 80hz display, all the elements in view retain their definition throughout the panning, and the environment remains much more solid and visually-coherent throughout the fast panning.

Do you notice the difference between 144 and 165?

Do you have any budget 80 hz 1440p monitor?

8 minutes ago, Anassagora69 said:

Do you have any budget 80 hz 1440p monitor?

I don't know about any 80hz monitors, but I think there are a bunch of 75hz FreeSync monitors. HP Omen 32 is a pretty decent one for what it costs, and is what I have - though, it's 32", which could be too big for some desks. QC on them is just OK... some have slight colour banding, but maybe that's normal with large monitors, I don't know.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

23 hours ago, Anassagora69 said:

Wow how much did ur pc setup cost, if you dont mind me asking, also i will have a 1080 with an i7 kaby, do you think i will be able to run games with that?

Well it was hard to put a cost to it as so many parts had to get imported from the EU or US, however around the £5k mark all in.

And yes 1080 and i7 7700k will max most games at 1440p with way over 60fps.

Good luck!

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

32 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

Well it was hard to put a cost to it as so many parts had to get imported from the EU or US, however around the £5k mark all in.

And yes 1080 and i7 7700k will max most games at 1440p with way over 60fps.

Good luck!

Thx alot!