Free Open World Rpg

agentxisepic

How would you guys feel about a Free to play open world RPG? Hypothetically of course! If it were on the scale of say somewhere to 100 to 200 hrs. Would better graphics or more content be best? With $5 dlcs with about 30 to 40 more hrs of content? Would this be a good way in your opinion to bring RPG's into Free to play that aren't MMO's? :) 

5 minutes ago, agentxisepic said:

Would better graphics or more content be best?

Honestly better story/writing/gameplay matters more than any of those, I'd prefer a short, great game, over a long boring one. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

1 minute ago, Megah3rtz said:

Honestly better story/writing/gameplay matters more than any of those, I'd prefer a short, great game, over a long boring one. 

So a great main storyline? How about side quests? Should all side quests have a small storyline attached to them? Like in the Witcher 3?

Just now, agentxisepic said:

So a great main storyline? How about side quests? Should all side quests have a small storyline attached to them? Like in the Witcher 3?

it would be nice, but they shouldn't be without purpose. They should be somewhat connected to the story, even if they are their own quest. 

Just now, Megah3rtz said:

it would be nice, but they shouldn't be without purpose. They should be somewhat connected to the story, even if they are their own quest. 

I see, so the little side quests should affect the overall main quest on a smaller scale? Like help towards a goal that may achieve the ultimate goal made easier? Sorry if that sentence is confusing!

Also side quests shouldn't ever be repetitive 

1 minute ago, agentxisepic said:

I see, so the little side quests should affect the overall main quest on a smaller scale? Like help towards a goal that may achieve the ultimate goal made easier? Sorry if that sentence is confusing!

yeah, or they may help understand whats going on a little more,  give a tiny backstory maybe. 

Also side quests shouldn't ever be repetitive 

What if that set of repetitive side quests were just there to offer the player a way to boost stats instead of doing longer quests to prepare for a higher level activity? Not like in fallout 4 where they are the majority of what you do to level up.

-DELETED

Edited by agentxisepic
Accidental Post

2 minutes ago, agentxisepic said:

What if that set of repetitive side quests were just there to offer the player a way to boost stats instead of doing longer quests to prepare for a higher level activity? Not like in fallout 4 where they are the majority of what you do to level up.

I feel like they should be labed as some sort of training then,instead of a quest. 

I feel like they should be labed as some sort of training then,instead of a quest. 

That is a good idea. Someone should have told that to Bethesda.

2 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

I see, so just explaining the world state more. Explaining why things are the way they are. What about an RPG without a single human, no earth, no earth solar system?

5 minutes ago, agentxisepic said:

What about an RPG without a single human, no earth, no earth solar system?

What would be the reason for that? Did something destroy it, or did it never exist? 

Whats the reason for that? Did something destroy it, or did it never exist? 

The species you play as and all the species in the game have not discovered it yet. I think it would be interesting to see an rpg that has no humans, as far as I have played, every rpg I have played has had a human at one time or another. 

12 minutes ago, agentxisepic said:

The species you play as and all the species in the game have not discovered it yet. I think it would be interesting to see an rpg that has no humans, as far as I have played, every rpg I have played has had a human at one time or another. 

Interesting, but there has to be a familiar element, something you can relate to. it has to make sense. It can be amazing if you build a game that is everything you imagine but think about the person who has no idea before they start it up. 

3 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Interesting, but there has to be a familiar element, something you can relate to. it has to make sense. It can be amazing if you build a game that is everything you imagine but think about the person who has no idea before they start it up. 

What if the free game is just a gateway to explain the universe but then the first dlc is what the main storyline was going to be and it involves humans???

What if the free game is just a gateway to explain the universe but then the first dlc is what the main storyline was going to be and it involves humans???

It has to be done well, because it would suck to get to a cliffhanger then get hit with a paywall. 

It has to be done well, because it would suck to get to a cliffhanger then get hit with a paywall. 

Well what if it was dropping hints throughout the game even in side quests as what was going to happen in the dlc? The base game in this case would have its own respective storyline of course.

Well what if it was dropping hints throughout the game even in side quests as what was going to happen in the dlc? The base game in this case would have its own respective storyline of course.

Dropping hints seems a bit like taunting, I'm not sure how you would fit that in. 

Also making the first game completely free would be hard if you don't have funding (like ads, or payment), it costs money to host servers for people to play on. 

Also making the first game completely free would be hard if you don't have funding (like ads, or payment), it costs money to host servers for people to play on. 

Yes but it would be a single player game! Yes it would be taunting but a fair price of $5 for another 30 or 40 hrs. seems good enough.....right or am I crazy???

Yes but it would be a single player game! Yes it would be taunting but a fair price of $5 for another 30 or 40 hrs. seems good enough.....right or am I crazy???

Depends, to me 5$ would be worth it if I enjoyed the game itself enough, DLC shouldn't be called DLC. it should be called an expansion. the focus should be on the game itself. 

Depends, to me 5$ would be worth it if I enjoyed the game itself enough, DLC shouldn't be called DLC. it should be called an expansion. the focus should be on the game itself. 

Yes, Yes it would be but the only reason the expansions would exist is so the people can get some funding out of it.

9 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Thanks for your input by the way, it was my first post and I thought it would be interesting to see what people think of a Free to Play rpg!

9 minutes ago, agentxisepic said:

Yes, Yes it would be but the only reason the expansions would exist is so the people can get some funding out of it.

I mean I would be happy to donate to the devs if I enjoyed the game but making a game for profit seems kind of shady. I thought making games was about making games?