R9 280X vs TBD NVIDIA 800 series?

DanielColato

I will be making upgrades this Black Friday and while the R9 280X looks mighty impressive I'm not sure if I should buy it on Black Friday or wait for NVidia's new Maxwell architecture that is supposed to be released Q1 2014. Also, i hear that AMD is re-releasing the R9 280X?

So let me know! Wait for Nvidia's response to the 280X, or buy other things i want for my rig? I am not a baller so i can't do both this holiday season. lol  :mellow:

If you keep waiting for new releases, you're never going to end up buying a single computer component. Just pull the trigger and get it over with.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

I will be making upgrades this Black Friday and while the R9 280X looks mighty impressive I'm not sure if I should buy it on Black Friday or wait for NVidia's new Maxwell architecture that is supposed to be released Q1 2014. Also, i hear that AMD is re-releasing the R9 280X?

So let me know! Wait for Nvidia's response to the 280X, or buy other things i want for my rig? I am not a baller so i can't do both this holiday season. lol  :mellow:

nVidia's competitor for the R9-280X is the GTX 770... Nvm

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Without Mantle (which most games aren't going to support any time soon, if ever), the 800 series of GPUs will almost definitely perform better than the R9 280X since it's essentially a rebrand of the 7970.

AMD will release Pirate Islands to go against Maxwell.

The R 200 series is the 700 series competitor, before that the 7000 series was the 600 series competitor.

"Direct" competitor, yes. The 700 and 7000 series, for instance, still compete though.

"Direct" competitor, yes. The 700 and 7000 series, for instance, still compete though.

The point is, next generation graphics architectures will be introduced when TSMC's 20nm process is mature enough, that won't be until H2 of 2014, so Q3 the earliest with Q4 being more likely.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/32578-20nm-high-performance-chips-in-2h-2014

If Nvidia releases Maxwell on 28nm (which they won't) as Videocardz speculates, it will only be a stop-gap solution between GK104 and GK110 since GK110 is the largest producible chip on 28nm, Nvidia simply can't make anything that's more powerful on the same node, any performance improvements will require additional die area and thus a new process node.

Nvidia won't make a stop-gap solution between GK104 and GK110 because it does not need to do so, it can simply use lower-binned GK110 dies to fill up any market gap.

The point is, next generation graphics architectures will be introduced when TSMC's 20nm process is mature enough, that won't be until H2 of 2014, so Q3 the earliest with Q4 being more likely.

If Nvidia releases Maxwell on 28nm (which they won't) as Videocardz speculates, it will only be a stop-gap solution between GK110 and GK110 since GK110 is the largest producible chip on 28nm, Nvidia simply can't make anything that's more powerful on the same node, any performance improvements will require additional die area and thus a new process node.

Nvidia won't make a sop-gap solution between GK104 and GK110 because it does not need to do so, it can simply use lower-binned GK110 dies to fill up any market gap.

So are you saying that the new architectures won't be released til Q3?

I thought Maxwell was gonna be Q1? :(

So just get a R9 280X when it gets rereleased?

So are you saying that the new architectures won't be released til Q3?

I thought Maxwell was gonna be Q1? :(

So just get a R9 280X when it gets rereleased?

20nm GPUs from both Nvidia & AMD won't come until Q3 or even Q4 next year.

The 280X won't be re-released, AMD is going to release a 7950 replacement so a 280 non-X, Tahiti XTL might be a 7970 Ghz edition replacement, i.e. a higher clocked 280X.

If Nvidia releases Maxwell on 28nm (which they won't) as Videocardz speculates, it will only be a stop-gap solution between GK110 and GK110 since GK110 is the largest producible chip on 28nm, Nvidia simply can't make anything that's more powerful on the same node, any performance improvements will require additional die area and thus a new process node.

Nvidia won't make a stop-gap solution between GK104 and GK110 because it does not need to do so, it can simply use lower-binned GK110 dies to fill up any market gap.

Thank you.  This helped solidify my decision to pick up a 780.  Just going to wait for the TI.

Corsair 600T (White) | Asus P8 Z68-V Pro | i5 2500k @ 3.3 | Corsair H70 | EVGA GTX 580 SOC | Patriot 1600LL - 4 x 4GB |

Crucial C300 128GB SSD | Western Digital Black 1TB | Corsair AX850 Pro Gold

What happened to the GTX 790?

just a rumour i guess

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed