Random FPS drops since new CPU

So i recently upgraded to a fx 8350 and OC'ed it to 4.3 GHZ which is stable, however me and my friend have the same CPU and we both have been suffering random FPS drops he has a  MSI - 7693  MOBO and i have the MSI 970A-G43

we both have sufficient PSU also we both have 750W any help or tips on this?

MY SPECS:

CPU: FX-8350
MOBO: MSI 970A-G43

GPU: R9 390X

PSU: EVGA 750W

Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO

RAM: Fury X 2x4GB 1600MHZ

normally ill be running most games a play at around 130-150FPS but then randomly it drops to 20-30FPS for about 10 seconds

2 minutes ago, lewis wruk said:

normally ill be running most games a play at around 130-150FPS but then randomly it drops to 20-30FPS for about 10 seconds

This may sound weird, but enable VSync/GSync/FreeSync and see if your frames still drop from the HZ of your monitor.

Ok, I Have Caped all my games FPS to 60 through AMD crimson software, ill test this out tomrrow and get back to you on this see if it works, thanks for the help so far:)

2 minutes ago, lewis wruk said:

Ok, I Have Caped all my games FPS to 60 through AMD crimson software, ill test this out tomrrow and get back to you on this see if it works, thanks for the help so far:)

Also, make sure to quote me so I can get the notification that you have replied.

Should i get a New MOBO? if so which one and also how do i go about upgrading MOBO without fresh install of windows etc?

5 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

I don't want to scare you but your cpu might be throttling, well not even the cpu, more like the motherboard, those two boards, msi970a g43 and g45 aren't fit to be used with any fx83xx cpu, let alone overclock it, your vrms might be getting to hot at certain times and drop core speed, the only way to test it though is disabling power saving options in bios, using  a stress testing utility while monitoring either with AMD overdrive or hwinfo64 or hwmonitor, except for AOD which is accurate down to a 200mhz difference is okay but more then that its a problem, the draw back to testing though is that it might push the vrms to much and make matters worse.

Should i get a New MOBO? if so which one and also how do i go about upgrading MOBO without fresh install of windows etc?

ill have around 72 GBP i know its not much but its the most i can really spend.

3 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Well if you're in a position to get a new Mobo then stress test first to be sure, like i said in the previous post, as for new mobo, well it depends on your budget but if you want to oc, the asus gaming aura would be a nice choice.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/6x7wrH/asrock-motherboard-980de3u3s3

5 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Well if you're in a position to get a new Mobo then stress test first to be sure, like i said in the previous post, as for new mobo, well it depends on your budget but if you want to oc, the asus gaming aura would be a nice choice.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/m2qdnQ/msi-motherboard-970gaming

This is the absolute most i would want to pay for a new MOBO, also how do I install this upgrade without having to do fresh install of windows do you know? it will take me months to re download all the games i have!

Yeah ill do the testing first, i could get the MSI 970 Gaming yes

2 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Would a MSI 970 gaming motherboard fit in that budget? Or Asus m5a97 r2.0 ( not the LE one!) ? 

With that said don't start buying right away test first!

With that motherboard even a stock FX 8350 would throttle. Poor power delivery and poorly cooled.

To be honest i wouldn't spend on a proper motherboard for FX with Ryzen literally here.

Here are some ideas:

1) Buy small heatsinks with pre applied thermal adhesive and place them on top of your Fet's. 

2) get a fan and blast air directly to the FET. (Even better if you already did [1]) 

At least with this you should not throttle at stock FX 8350. Survive with this setup and aim for another rig in the future. 

This should be WAY cheaper than a motherboard replacement and will archive similar results, but please... Don't even attempt to OC that CPU with every core active.

3) If you want to get the most of it without spending one single dime. Start disabling half the modules and OC the active ones 10 to 15%. This should get you way higher FPS in games that cant use 8 threads. (Esport games, and pre 2013 games mostly). Miles better than 8 cores throttling. You may find that 4 cores @4.6Ghz may be better for the games you play than 8 cores@???Ghz due to throttling. (This works even better if [1] and or [2] is simultaneously done). 

There are some videos that show amazing improvement of this kind of cheap mods in youtube, do a quick search, they might interest you. 

4 hours ago, Strike105X said:

For [1] if its not a very efficient adhesive due to how hot vrms can get there's a risk of them falling of, and you never know what might happen then. 

For [2] a fan helps, but you really need a rad to draw the heat from there and if they are overused eventually they will get hot even with the fan but just at a slower rate. As for [3] its counter productive, the strength of this chips are they're core count, if you take out the cores you will just have more load on the others with them also not being as free gaming performance will suffer, as you said you can ease this with oc, but that's not a ocing mobo by far... Even with mods. OP also mentioned getting the fx recently so he probably intends to use it for a while, the current mobo will draw bwck the fx 83xx quite a lot in response and even performance, jumping to a mid tier bord will enhance the experience a lot. So unless he plans to move on to something else soon, he'd only be crippling himself.

I'll Grab that MOBO seems as more people are saying its the MOBO, ill still test it though.

On 1/5/2017 at 5:30 PM, Strike105X said:

I want to clarify something, I'm insisting on testing it because you never know and right now something else might cause trouble, so just to in case its something else you still have the money to rely on. With that said sooner or later, preferably sooner, you will have to get a better mobo, because that one aint exactly safe.

On 1/5/2017 at 4:09 AM, OsuMasterz said:

Also, make sure to quote me so I can get the notification that you have replied.

ok so it is my motherboard, however i need some help, i know you said MSI 970 gaming is ok but what about the msi 970 Krait? or something a tad bit cheaper, i know i need a ebtter MOBO but i really dont have a lot of money :/

On 2017-01-05 at 11:54 AM, lewis wruk said:

I'll Grab that MOBO seems as more people are saying its the MOBO, ill still test it though.

it is, those boards you guys are using are not meant to power an FX-83XX CPU...get something with decent power delivery and heatsinks on the VRM.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

8 hours ago, lewis wruk said:

ok so it is my motherboard, however i need some help, i know you said MSI 970 gaming is ok but what about the msi 970 Krait? or something a tad bit cheaper, i know i need a ebtter MOBO but i really dont have a lot of money :/

I apologize I didn't read the entire thread so if this was mentioned just ignore my post. Before you buy new hardware try this; for those unexpected speed drops, I've seen it happen as a result of "AMD Turbo Core" and Advanced Power Saving features like "Cool' n' quiet". Since you are overclocking, I suggest you try disabling Turbo Core first and if that doesn't solve your issue, then turn Cool n Quiet off too. If both are already disabled then ignore this post lol.