Corsair H110i vs Noctua NH-U14S

jmv_vicente

Building my first-time rig and still can't decide which system should I use. 

Considerations: 

- Price: 68€ vs 135€

- Will get a Phanteks P400S, will the H100i fit?

- Gonna get the i7 6700K or i7 7700K and don't plan to OC like crazy, just the standard OC

- Gonna get the GTX 1070 and plan to play BF1 a lot

- Will the Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100i v2 be a better choice? 129€

- I really like the looks of the Liquid coolers but worry about its maintenance/possible failures

- I'd like to save some money from my setup, but I don't know if this component is a good idea

What do you guys think?

You can fit a 360mm(3x120mm) or a 280mm(2x140mm) radiator on the front, and a 120mm on the back

The Noctua U14S won't fit in a P400s. However, the NH-D14 will fit and performs better than both a U14s and an H100i. If you're going to get an AIO, get something beefy with a 280mm radiator.

13 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

The Noctua U14S won't fit in a P400s. However, the NH-D14 will fit and performs better than both a U14s and an H100i. If you're going to get an AIO, get something beefy with a 280mm radiator.

13 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Can't seem to find the NH-D14 in my store, but would the Noctua NH-U12S fit? I've seen recommend it here, and it costs 60€

Do you think it'd be a better choice? 

I just installed an H110i GTX in my NZXT H440 and it was a tight squeeze past the 8 pin on my mobo so definitely take some time to plan for connections like that before you decide one way or the other.  I just eyeballed it and ended up having to snip the locking clamp off of the 8 pin in order to get it to clear, fortunately my 8 pin is a cheap, homemade sleeved extension so I didn't care if  it failed and I'd had to replace it.

All that out of the way, I love this cooler.  Temps are MUCH more consistent even under heavy usage compared to the H50 I was coming from.  Not to mention I picked it up as a Corsair Refurb unit for $80 USD shipped to the house from Newegg.  

13 hours ago, jmv_vicente said:

Can't seem to find the NH-D14 in my store, but would the Noctua NH-U12S fit? I've seen recommend it here, and it costs 60€

Do you think it'd be a better choice? 

Which store you use? For general OC U12S is just fine, but there might be other cheaper and more suited options. Which are the features you look for with cooler?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I will just say that I've had two corsair AIO units burn out in the period of two years.  One of which corsair refused to replace, and one I'm currently in my third month of dealing with corsair RMA. I'm sure they're a lovely unit for the average user, but the average user doesn't need a 300W cooling solution.

Personally I'd use any unit that doesn't need an asetek pump.

On 1/4/2017 at 5:25 PM, jinscho said:

I just installed an H110i GTX in my NZXT H440 and it was a tight squeeze past the 8 pin on my mobo so definitely take some time to plan for connections like that before you decide one way or the other.  I just eyeballed it and ended up having to snip the locking clamp off of the 8 pin in order to get it to clear, fortunately my 8 pin is a cheap, homemade sleeved extension so I didn't care if  it failed and I'd had to replace it.

All that out of the way, I love this cooler.  Temps are MUCH more consistent even under heavy usage compared to the H50 I was coming from.  Not to mention I picked it up as a Corsair Refurb unit for $80 USD shipped to the house from Newegg.  

question I have the H100i V2.  Do you have the other fan hole covered in the top?  I don't seem to getting the performance I think I should with this cooler.  I wonder if the open hole is letting warm air back in to the case oppose to exhausting it.  I guess i could just Cover the hole with tape and see if i get better performance.  

4 minutes ago, djmoney said:

question I have the H100i V2.  Do you have the other fan hole covered in the top?  I don't seem to getting the performance I think I should with this cooler.  I wonder if the open hole is letting warm air back in to the case oppose to exhausting it.  I guess i could just Cover the hole with tape and see if i get better performance.  

I do not.  I have the radiator mounted directly to the top of the case with the fans pushing air through and out the top.  If I put my hand next to the vent at the top of the case I can feel air flowing through.  

2 minutes ago, jinscho said:

If I put my hand next to the vent at the top of the case I can feel air flowing through.  

yeah that's what worries me.  I don't really feel the air.  

On 1/6/2017 at 11:32 AM, djmoney said:

yeah that's what worries me.  I don't really feel the air.  

Your hand is not a good tool for measuring airflow. Look at temps instead.

@jmv_vicente

You mention a h100i but link a h110. Which one were you referring to?

Either should fit just fine.

Any reason you're not looking at other coolers?

Where are you shopping/located?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

23 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Your hand is not a good tool for measuring airflow. Look at temps instead.

i know and my temps seem slightly high for an H100i

16 hours ago, djmoney said:

i know and my temps seem slightly high for an H100i

The H440 is a pretty restrictive case and especially so with the original version.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.