Help me selecting parts for a PC

Alex.G

This will not be my first PC, I have many PCs before, but it is my first build. I'm wanting to do an all AMD build, AMD CPU and this GPU (http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/c6rcCJ/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-8gb-video-card-21260-00-20g)

That is the only thing that needs to stay the same in this build, the GPU listed above, and all AMD. thank you for helping.

Budget of £700 (Canadian Dollar 1147.22 and American Dollar 861.89 as of 4th January 2017)

Just now, frozeNNN said:

Wait for Zen CPUs. No point in getting FX CPU now

do we know when the zen is coming out yet?

Just now, Alex.G said:

do we know when the zen is coming out yet?

Q1 of 2017 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GthZWX this is the list for my build it is far under your budget but mabey you can change it to fit you needs. the motherboard has plenty of IO. there is only one stick of ram though so you could add more the gpu could also be upgraded but it performs fine for me and is factory oc.

Just now, frozeNNN said:

Q1 of 2017 

ok, thanks for the help! is there any info about what the price range will be yet? i have about 150 - 200 £ to spend on a cpu

Just now, Tb428 said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GthZWX this is the list for my build it is far under your budget but mabey you can change it to fit you needs. the motherboard has plenty of IO. there is only one stick of ram though so you could add more the gpu could also be upgraded but it performs fine for me and is factory oc.

thanks, ill take a look

1 minute ago, Tb428 said:

this is what im looking at getting at the moment, but i might wait until ryzen cpus come out

Just now, Alex.G said:

ok, thanks for the help! is there any info about what the price range will be yet? i have about 150 - 200 £ to spend on a cpu

They will have CPUs for your budget too which will come after the high-end CPUs so yeah you will have to wait but i don't see a reason why wouldn't you go with Intel CPU + AMD GPU?

1 minute ago, Alex.G said:

thanks, ill take a look

it also has a fairly small ssd and no cpu cooler so there is room for improvement 

1 minute ago, frozeNNN said:

They will have CPUs for your budget too which will come after the high-end CPUs so yeah you will have to wait but i don't see a reason why wouldn't you go with Intel CPU + AMD GPU?

well im looking at getting an AMD cpu, not that i dislike intel, my current laptop is an intel, i just prefer AMD

1 minute ago, Tb428 said:

it also has a fairly small ssd and no cpu cooler so there is room for improvement 

well mine has a 120gb ssd and a 1tb hdd, but i have a few hdds here with me, so i plan on using them for storage aswell

well im looking at getting an AMD cpu, not that i dislike intel, my current laptop is an intel, i just prefer AMD

Well okay it's your choice which makes you wait some time for Zen. My advice for you is not to get AMD FX CPU. If you start thinking about it just go with some Intel's i5. Any FX CPU will bottleneck that GPU :)

Just now, frozeNNN said:

Well okay it's your choice which makes you wait some time for Zen. My advice for you is not to get AMD FX CPU. If you start thinking about it just go with some Intel's i5. Any FX CPU will bottleneck that GPU :)

can you explain what bottlenecking means please, i know a fair bit about computers and things like this, but not loads, so things like bottlenecking i have no idea about.

can you explain what bottlenecking means please, i know a fair bit about computers and things like this, but not loads, so things like bottlenecking i have no idea about.

It's like this,AMD FX CPUs and all the other CPUs they currently have, have bad single core performance which is bad for gaming. Single core performance leads into bottlenecking GPU which means your GPU will be working on low usage (it should work at 95%-100% but it would work at for example 80%) and you get lower FPS than you should. Basically Intel's i5 6400 and even an i3 6100 would be better for gaming than a FX 8350 CPU for example because Intel CPUs have better single core performance. This will be fixed with AMD's Ryzen CPUs which will have similar single core performance as Intel's CPUs.

31 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

It's like this,AMD FX CPUs and all the other CPUs they currently have, have bad single core performance which is bad for gaming. Single core performance leads into bottlenecking GPU which means your GPU will be working on low usage (it should work at 95%-100% but it would work at for example 80%) and you get lower FPS than you should. Basically Intel's i5 6400 and even an i3 6100 would be better for gaming than a FX 8350 CPU for example because Intel CPUs have better single core performance. This will be fixed with AMD's Ryzen CPUs which will have similar single core performance as Intel's CPUs.

what would be god for video and music production? because i plan on using this pc for more than just gaming.

23 minutes ago, Alex.G said:

what would be god for video and music production? because i plan on using this pc for more than just gaming.

Some i7,Xeon E3 1231,probably Zen

32 minutes ago, Alex.G said:

intel i3 6100 would be a better choice if your not going amd because you can upgrade to a i7 6700k or something later down the road. That is what I would have gone for but I already had the motherboard when I read up on the i3 6100.