Sapphire HD 7870 Dual-X OC 2GB too old?

marin385

Hi,

Can you guys please tell me should i start building new gaming pc or this one is still good for a few years? I am into games like GTA V, Mafia 3, CS:GO, Overwatch and other new fps shooters.. I dont have much money laying around but im willing to get a credit around 1000 USD. Sry 4 bad english :)

SPecs:

Amd FX 8320 eight core processor with oc capability

970 Extreme3 R2.0 motherboard 

2x2x2 - 2gb DDR3 Crosair 2100MHz (but windows 10 shows 4gb as usable :(  dont know why)

AMD Radeon HD 7870 Dual X OC edition 2GB  (Direct x 12)

Windows 10

Greetings from Croatia, Europe :P

That's what you have right now? You could upgrade quite a bit just by adding an RX 480 4GB. Maybe your motherboard doesn't like running 3 sticks of RAM, I would get 2 4GB and then see if you can run 12 by having 2 4 and 2 2 (have the same capacity be on the same color of slot)

Only if you find that you're not pushing the frames you want with the 480 would I the suggest buying a CPU upgrade. A FX-8320 is still a fine CPU for games.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

26 minutes ago, marin385 said:

Hi,

Can you guys please tell me should i start building new gaming pc or this one is still good for a few years? I am into games like GTA V, Mafia 3, CS:GO, Overwatch and other new fps shooters.. I dont have much money laying around but im willing to get a credit around 1000 USD. Sry 4 bad english :)

SPecs:

Amd FX 8320 eight core processor with oc capability

970 Extreme3 R2.0 motherboard 

2x2x2 - 2gb DDR3 Crosair 2100MHz (but windows 10 shows 4gb as usable :(  dont know why)

AMD Radeon HD 7870 Dual X OC edition 2GB  (Direct x 12)

Windows 10

Greetings from Croatia, Europe :P

I think your problem is the RAM, 4 GB is not enough. I agree with @Energycore that you get 2x4GB as that shouldn't be that expensive.

As for the GPU it should still be fine, as my friend has R7 370, which is basically the same card just with 4GB of VRAM, and it works well for 1080p. Of course not with everything maxed out, but if you are OK with turning few settings down it does the job.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

One of my friends had a 7870 and it really struggled in GTA beyond normal settings, so it's definitely recommended to upgrade that. You will also need 8GB of RAM to play the latest and greatest. So that'll need a boost too. I've seen GTA eat around 5-6GB of my RAM during gameplay, so that should give you an idea LOL.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Ok thanks everyone.. I think Its time for a new everything.. I would rly like to try VR in 2017 :)

6 hours ago, marin385 said:

Ok thanks everyone.. I think Its time for a new everything.. I would rly like to try VR in 2017 :)

I would at least do GTX 1070 for VR

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR