Wireless solutions?

Rewriting-
 I am stuck using Wifi, my connection is limited to my phones wireless capabilities and the strength between my room and the ISP router is weak.

I want to find a solution that can improve my connection strength and speed, at the best cost to performance ratio. That being said I know I could buy my own router, as well as my own PCI-E wireless card, I want to avoid Wifi USB adapters, I don't like them.

So to clear some confusion, I'm looking for advice on which PCI-e card to get, or which Router I should get.

The speed the installer told me I had was AC-something, cant remember.

If theres any confusion still just say so. Sorry, I was running on 4 hours sleep when I wrote this, this morning

Just FYI is it extremely difficult to make sense of what you're asking.

Your ISP should provide you with a cheap router, though they're generally terrible.

I'd start by first looking at your requirements and the speed that you're pulling from your ISP, if it is quite high, spending more will be necessary to utilize the available bandwidth.

PCI cards benefit from having large antennas, which especially with the walls you mention, I'd strongly consider.

Umm your first point i am also confused as to what your asking. Your second point you say a PCI adpater do you mean PCIE which is a much newer standard? Does this also mean the computer is quite old in which case you don't have USB 3.0?

Well, if you have access, the easiest and possibly cheapest solution would be to run an ethernet cable from the modem/router to maybe the PC room, install a dumb switch and hook up your PC to the switch... then for wireless access you have the modem/router's wifi, plus if range isn't good enough, you can install a cheap access point to the dumb switch too. that should give you enough coverage if positioned for best effect in both locations. Total cost would be in the region of $30 for the ethernet cable (depending on length), $20 for a dumb switch and about $20-$30 for a cheap wireless access point.

If the cable is going to be long, you might also want to consider buying the tools and cable to make your own ethernet cables, as this would work out much cheaper in the long run. The cost would be around $80 or so for the tools plus cable, if you don't need shielded cable etc etc, so this is assuming that where you are installing the cable won't be subject to interference, outside elements etc.

The above is just a suggestion and IMO would be the best solution in terms of cost effectiveness and possibly even best connectivity. Of course this also assumes you can do the wiring yourself, which isn't hard, but again access could be limited where you are. If you're worried about making holes in the ceiling for running cable if you're renting, this is easily fixed with some liquid plaster (can't think of the name for it), when needed.

I have a similar set up to the suggestion I made above, and in room 4 (where the cable is run to) I now have brilliant connection with Router in room 1 and all PCs/Server/Nas on the network... also have the added benefit of great wifi reception throughout the entire house now, whereas before installing the access point I had poor/no reception in rooms 3/4 and downstairs dining room.

I hope this might help you, I apologise for the long-winded explanation.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I updated the post to be abit easier to understand. was running on few hours of sleep and was awake longer than i should have been.

In anycase, @paddy-stone I think i'd be better off putting that amount into a wireless router or PCI-e card. I moved recently and will be moving again soon, that seems more of a long term solution if anything, which would be a bad investment on my end

1 minute ago, CrownG said:

I updated the post to be abit easier to understand. was running on few hours of sleep and was awake longer than i should have been.

In anycase, @paddy-stone I think i'd be better off putting that amount into a wireless router or PCI-e card. I moved recently and will be moving again soon, that seems more of a long term solution if anything, which would be a bad investment on my end

Ahh I see, didn't know how long you planned to have this setup. In that case if only for short term use you could just run an ethernet cable without buying tools etc. I think a decent enough modem/router would still cost much more, depends on the amount of space it has to cover I guess.

By all means get a decent router, they are pretty much a neccesity these days anyway, but just be aware it still might not cover the area you need to cover and end up buying a switch/repeater/access point anyway maybe. My house isn't big at all, and yet even with a half decent router Netgear d7000 it doesn't cover as much as is needed, funnily enough though it's mostly due to the crap apple stuff in the house... not mine I hasten to add, wouldn't touch them even at half the price they are.

Anyway, good luck with it. I'm no expert, but if you need help I don't mind trying to help you.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini