Dual Band Home Networking?

Congy

I just bought a D-Link AC 1700 router that's dual band. I've got 2 computers and want to transfer files between them but the laptop is connected to the 2.4Ghz wireless and desktop at 5Ghz wireless. How do I do it? (I was able to use Windows 7 Homegroup before but now they are in 2 different bands, it doesn't work)

Solutions??

Thanks.

I just access one computer with remote desktop and copy/paste the files.

Spoiler

I just access one computer with remote desktop and copy/paste the files.

That's not the solution I was looking for :( I want to be able to share folders and files and easily drag and drop as before on my dual band router

You could always make a shared folder, so if your PC name was CongyPC and the shared folder name was CPCShared, all you would have to do is go to \\CongyPC\CPCShared and you can remotely access all the files, as well as putting in files of your own. Right click on the folder, go to sharing options, and then it should be pretty straight-forward from there.

Spoiler

Dual band or not they are on the same network and should be easily accessible, windows might need some persuasion like the IP of the other machine, but it has to work.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Yeah the problem probably lies in how you are transferring the files. They are on the same network even if they are on separate wireless networks so as long as your folder is shared properly and there are no other read/write restrictions then it should work with drag and drop in explorer. Make sure you got network sharing on. Go to the network tab in explorer (not Internet explorer, just windows explorer) and if you don't have network sharing on, it will ask if you want to turn it on.

Dual band or not they are on the same network and should be easily accessible, windows might need some persuasion like the IP of the other machine, but it has to work.

Yeah the problem probably lies in how you are transferring the files. They are on the same network even if they are on separate wireless networks so as long as your folder is shared properly and there are no other read/write restrictions then it should work with drag and drop in explorer. Make sure you got network sharing on. Go to the network tab in explorer (not Internet explorer, just windows explorer) and if you don't have network sharing on, it will ask if you want to turn it on.

Actually, depending on the router you may be able to create two separate networks. I can do it with my N66u (Set AP Isolation, under wireless -> professional).

As I've never used D-Link routers, I'd suggest looking for a setting that talks about isolating APs/the networks, or making separate networks too (along with what they've said above).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB