Mount a monitor above another without custom stand

pyr0

Hello. 

I am trying to mount my old monitor over my new one. My problem is simple; I cannot afford a custom stand for the two monitors. 

If it helps both monitors have Vesa mounts. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance 

A very careful balancing act, lots of duck tape, maybe some 3m strips ....

Seriously though;

I used an old TV wall mount once a few years ago and it worked alright until I was able to get my current rig setup.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

By the time you go to (insert hardware store here) and buy screws plates or what ever you need you could probably get a mount or stand from Monoprice or Amazon,  

this was just a quick search and you might find better if you keep looking but you cant hack it better or much less.  If you are successful show it off please.  I have built some cool stuff for people but i still usually bough off the shelf mounts to make sure they were safe.   

$45 prime sits on desk 

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Monitor-Standing-Vertical-STAND-V002H/dp/B00MTWCO1U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483502015&sr=8-3&keywords=2+monitor+stand+vertical

$43 prime clamps to desk 

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Computer-Monitor-Vertical-STAND-V002R/dp/B01CUW5HDU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1483502015&sr=8-4&keywords=2+monitor+stand+vertical 

or 

2 pieces of angle brackets like these 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1-2-in-x-14-Gauge-x-36-in-Zinc-Plated-Slotted-Angle-802407/204225759

+ Screws 

Connect the 2 monitors via the VESA Mounts then use the stand of the bottom monitor.  I have shelf that works like this on my wall mounted TV.  

warning this would be very top heavy and might break your monitors stand.  Also depending how the stand works it might not work at all.