6600k @ 4.5GHz bottlenecking GTA5?

So I just got GTAV pc and am running it at pretty much ultra on all settings, and when monitoring my CPU and GPU, my 6600k is usually at 98 - 100% and my 1070 FTW @ 2GHz is at about 80 - 90%. Is the 6600K bottlenecking me? I am noticing stuttering during gameplay. Thanks. (I get about 80-120 FPS in cities and in the country)

Yes it can bottleneck but i am not sure about stuttering,something might be wrong in your options.

What are the rest of your specs? Your CPU and GPU should not have any problem with it.

BF1 does the same thing.  I'm not sure if it is actually a bottleneck or just the way the games are programmed.  Even with the high CPU utilization BF1 runs smooth as butter for me.  I don't play GTAV so I can't speak for it.  I'm just speaking from a similar cpu utilization experience in a different game, so maybe there is something else going on causing the stuttering.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

yes the I5 6600K will bottleneck the GTX 1070, its not much but it will. this should however still get solid FPS with minimal stutters in GTA-V, try turning down the CPU intensive settings a bit maybe?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yes the I5 6600K will bottleneck the GTX 1070

Do explain.

It is bottlenecking. People wouldn't believe when I said that i5's bottlenecked 1070's and above. (That was months ago.) This is another good example of it. Unless the stuttering is very bad I wouldn't worry too much about it, as you are getting good fps. The bottleneck shouldn't really matter too much unless you have like a 144 Hz monitor. 

7 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

What are the rest of your specs? Your CPU and GPU should not have any problem with it.

-i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz

-GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

-144Hz monitor

-HyperX Fury 32GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yes the I5 6600K will bottleneck the GTX 1070, its not much but it will. this should however still get solid FPS with minimal stutters in GTA-V, try turning down the CPU intensive settings a bit maybe?

What are the CPU intensive settings? Tessellation? 

4 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Do explain.

An i5 can't keep up with a 1070 at all times. And when the CPU usage is higher than GPU usage you know something is wrong.

4 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

It is bottlenecking. People wouldn't believe when I said that i5's bottlenecked 1070's and above. (That was months ago.) This is another good example of it. Unless the stuttering is very bad I wouldn't worry too much about it, as you are getting good fps. The bottleneck shouldn't really matter too much unless you have like a 144 Hz monitor. 

As I said the bottleneck wont really matter for 60 Hz, but if you are trying to hit fps over 100 you will want something better than an i5. 

6 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Do explain.

from what iv seen and heard the I5 6600K dosent have the horses to run game logic and all that faster then the 1070 can push another frame of whats happaning, iv heard it here and on YT. in this case the I5 is also running basically maxed out while the 1070 is not, which is what a CPU bottleneck is. its not choking, just limiting what the 1070 can do graphics wise. with an I7 6700K the CPU will not be maxed out while the 1070 would be, and that would be a GPU bottleneck. GPU bottlenecks are prefeable seeing as there would be no choking(happens when the GPU is way more then the CPU can process limiting both parts preformance, atleast thats how i understand it) causing stuttering and bad FPS. if you can show me proof that it DOSENT i will change my statement and view of this. 

8 minutes ago, RektSkrubs said:

not sure, havent played GTA V in a long while, im sure google will help you better here then i will but things like vehicle spawning, people amounts, stuff like that i would assume seeing as AI is handled by CPU

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

An i5 can't keep up with a 1070 at all times. And when the CPU usage is higher than GPU usage you know something is wrong.

As I said the bottleneck wont really matter for 60 Hz, but if you are trying to hit fps over 100 you will want something better than an i5. 

I don't see how going above 60fps would cause microstutters with an overclocked 6600k.

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

from what iv seen and heard the I5 6600K dosent have the horses to run game logic and all that faster then the 1070 can push another frame of whats happaning

I was told this by many members here, especially for Battlefield 1. I ended up buying the game recently, maxed it out with DX12 enabled. On my PC with a 6600k @4.5Ghz and a GTX 980, I was running it with no issues whatsoever. I said I was going to do a video but I never did - I may do it if I remember next time I play it. I'm also not saying this to justify my purchase. If I saw an issue with performance I would upgrade as I have plenty of money to spend.

And before you ask, yes I was on a 64 man server with tons of shit going on at once on every map we played on.

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

in this case the I5 is also running basically maxed out while the 1070 is not, which is what a CPU bottleneck is. its not choking, just limiting what the 1070 can do graphics wise. with an I7 6700K the CPU will not be maxed out while the 1070 would be, and that would be a GPU bottleneck.

No it's not.

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

GPU bottlenecks are prefeable seeing as there would be no choking(happens when the GPU is way more then the CPU can process limiting both parts preformance, atleast thats how i understand it) causing stuttering and bad FPS. if you can show me proof that it DOSENT i will change my statement and view of this. 

If your GPU becomes the bottleneck, that will cause microstutters and low framerate. The CPU and GPU have to work in tandem to eliminate these issues, and the Skylake i5s are fine for gaming with something like a 1070.

16 minutes ago, RektSkrubs said:

Shadows and ambient occlusion are the biggest ones. What I don't get is when I had a 2500k, I didn't have any issues with GTA5 until I got to this one part in the desert that just randomly killed my fps for no reason - there was nothing going on that would have caused it.

Do you have any of those "advanced" graphics settings enabled?

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I don't see how going above 60fps would cause microstutters with an overclocked 6600k.

That's not what I said.

4 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

If your GPU becomes the bottleneck, that will cause microstutters and low framerate.

I notice microstuttering when I am running my RAM at 2133 MHz instead of 3000 MHz.

6 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

and the Skylake i5s are fine for gaming with something like a 1070.

I can agree to this for 60 Hz gaming, but if you are playing intensive games on a high refreshrate monitor and you are trying to hit 100+ fps the CPU bottleneck will start to make a difference. At that point even faster RAM will make a difference depending on the game. 

7 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

all of them besides frame scaling

1 minute ago, Matias_Chambers said:

That's not what I said.

Then what is the problem? Low framerate?

I notice microstuttering when I am running my RAM at 2133 MHz instead of 3000 MHz.

Because CPUs like fast memory when playing CPU intensive games. I experienced average and minimum FPS in Witcher 3 when I still had my 2500k and went from 1600Mhz to 2133Mhz memory.

2 minutes ago, RektSkrubs said:

all of them besides frame scaling

Turn them off. They do nothing noticeable and it kills your system.

Just now, Matias_Chambers said:

What problem?

You said the CPU would be a bottleneck for a 1070 if you're trying to hit over 60fps. What are the details that make it a bottleneck in that situation?

1 minute ago, RektSkrubs said:

microstuttering

When your CPU is at 100% things start to slow down and stuttering occurs. 

13 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I was told this by many members here, especially for Battlefield 1. I ended up buying the game recently, maxed it out with DX12 enabled. On my PC with a 6600k @4.5Ghz and a GTX 980, I was running it with no issues whatsoever. I said I was going to do a video but I never did - I may do it if I remember next time I play it. I'm also not saying this to justify my purchase. If I saw an issue with performance I would upgrade as I have plenty of money to spend.

And before you ask, yes I was on a 64 man server with tons of shit going on at once on every map we played on.

No it's not.

If your GPU becomes the bottleneck, that will cause microstutters and low framerate. The CPU and GPU have to work in tandem to eliminate these issues, and the Skylake i5s are fine for gaming with something like a 1070.

Shadows and ambient occlusion are the biggest ones. What I don't get is when I had a 2500k, I didn't have any issues with GTA5 until I got to this one part in the desert that just randomly killed my fps for no reason - there was nothing going on that would have caused it.

i think its just minor choking in that case, too much GPU for the CPU to handle. 

Builds:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

You said the CPU would be a bottleneck for a 1070 if you're trying to hit over 60fps. What are the details that make it a bottleneck in that situation?

The CPU can't keep up with the GPU. This doesn't matter for 60 Hz as the i5 wont bottleneck that bad and you can't see more than 60 fps. You will probably be able to hit around 100 fps if you have a GPU that is powerful enough, and at that point if the CPU is maxed out which in this case the i5 is, you will start to see a bottleneck. Unless you really are trying to hit 144 fps and you are very sensitive to suttering, I wouldn't worry about this too much. 

The CPU can't keep up with the GPU. This doesn't matter for 60 Hz as the i5 wont bottleneck that bad and you can't see more than 60 fps. You will probably be able to hit around 100 fps if you have a GPU that is powerful enough, and at that point if the CPU is maxed out which in this case the i5 is, you will start to see a bottleneck. Unless you really are trying to hit 144 fps and you are very sensitive to suttering, I wouldn't worry about this too much. 

I would like to test this myself, then. Whenever I find a high refresh rate monitor that I can stand to look at, I will find out for myself.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

I would like to test this myself, then. Whenever I find a high refresh rate monitor that I can stand to look at, I will find out for myself.

Of course it depends on the game. In games where the CPU isn't really stressed as hard you shouldn't have many issues. 

Just now, Matias_Chambers said:

Of course it depends on the game. In games where the CPU isn't really stressed as hard you shouldn't have many issues. 

Well I have Crysis 3, Battlefield 1 and so on to test it with :P

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Try CPU intensive games like GTA V, Witcher 3 and such. Battlefield 4 is also pretty CPU intensive I believe.