For those who played The Witcher

Princess Luna
Go to solution Solved by Thozi,

Witcher 1 is very different from the other two games. Kind of old school RPG but with added on timed clicking combat system that feels clumsy and stiff. 

Watch this

Play W2 and then W3

So my boyfriend's sharing his steam library with me now and he has all The Witcher games in it which are playable with the share system, I have always wanted to play The Witcher 3 since I'm huge fan of the hack'n'slash with a solid story and rpg aspects to it, also I have heard how this game has similarities with Red Dead Redemption one of my favourite games of all time not to mention it looks gorgeous and hopefully my system won't let me down when running it [:

The question here lays about the 1 and 2, are those required to be played in order to have greater immersion with the story behind the game or are those skippable? I would like hearing from those who played it, I know the previous ones are not as exciting as the third instalment but if it does makes a difference I'd be willing to try them first.

Thanks in advance [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I would play 2 and 3, the first one is just not as good. But of course that's just my opinion. But I would say you have to play the second one.

i5 6500 @3.2Ghz, Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Mini, 16GB DDR4 @2400Mhz, 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Corsair Vengance 650W, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Thermaltake Versa U21, Hyper 103

AOC Agon AG271UG 27" 4k G-Sync, G933, G502, G801

Playing the first two games will help you easier understand what's going on in the world. It's not mandatory to play them, but it's recommended if you want to fully immerse yourself into the world and know character's backstories, factions, locations, etc. The game is made with new players in mind and there's enough information in the glossary. I started with the third game, finished the second game and I'm yet to complete the first one and read the rest of the books (only read The Last Wish so far), so it's possible to get hooked and immerse yourself in the Witcher universe with it.

The previous two games are pretty different, so I can get why some people don't like them. The first one has a very unintuitive combat system, the second one has difficulty balancing problems, but if you can get over those shortcomings, they are very enjoyable too.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

1 minute ago, Pandalf said:

Playing the first two games will help you easier understand what's going on in the world. It's not mandatory to play them, but it's recommended if you want to fully immerse yourself into the world and know character's backstories, factions, locations, etc. The game is made with new players in mind and there's enough information in the glossary. I started with the third game, finished the second game and I'm yet to complete the first one and read the rest of the books (only read The Last Wish so far), so it's possible to get hooked and immerse yourself in the Witcher universe with it.

The previous two games are pretty different, so I can get why some people don't like them. The first one has a very unintuitive combat system, the second one has difficulty balancing problems, but if you can get over those shortcomings, they are very enjoyable too.

What would you say if I read everything about the first on wikia then played only the 2 and 3? [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

What would you say if I read everything about the first on wikia then played only the 2 and 3? [:

There are videos that summarize the story so far, but I'm not sure if there's one only for the first game. Reading from wikia ought to be enough.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Witcher 3.. best game I've ever played. I wish they make more games like this. I didn't play the first 2 installments but I did read the story before playing Witcher 3 - it does help you understand the lore. 

Mobo: ASUS X99-A  // CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix //  Ram: 4 x 4 GB 2666 Mhz G.Skill Ripjaw // SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe //  PSU: Cooler Master V850  // Case: Corsair 760T Arch White // Mouse: Logitec G903 Lightspeed // Keyboard: Logitech G Pro // Headphones: Audio Technica Ath-R70x // Monitor: BenQ BL2710PT

Witcher 1 is very different from the other two games. Kind of old school RPG but with added on timed clicking combat system that feels clumsy and stiff. 

Watch this

Play W2 and then W3

4 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Personally, that's what I did. I've never played The Witcher, and I haven't gone beyond Flotsam (a very early area) in The Witcher 2. Yet The Witcher 3 got me interested enough to go back and read the wiki and some of the book series. I don't think you'll have any problem following the plot, but you might miss the relevance or significance of seeing certain characters. TW3 also has a pretty good in-game Glossary that gives you a lot of background information.

If you want to play The Witcher 2, that's not a terrible idea, but it's a completely different game than 3. I absolutely cannot get along with its combat system, despite trying multiple times. Just don't expect that it will prepare you mechanically for The Witcher 3 in any way.

I played the 3 First, and i think I should have played the 2 First If o knew how amazing the game is. Because now i dont want to play the second because I know the 3 is WAY better, tough i know the 2 is also good.

Story wise i didnt fell Lost, Just read the glossary and/or some stuff on the net.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

The first one is great and has better combat than 2+3. They are way too easy and repetitive in that matter.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO