Can I use my laptop for 7 years?

Go to solution Solved by The Sloth,
Just now, VengeanceGamer said:

No, im programming by myself.

long as its small program its fine just take good care of the laptop. as others commented you should be able to get a get a job before you turn 19, so the problem is not really problem because you probably can afford a laptop for university, assuming you have plans to go. if you go to university a reliable laptop is a must its a worthwhile investment,

I have a samsung ativ book 8 with a core i7 4700hq, 8gb ddr4 ram, gt 750m, and a 256gb ssd. My mom says that I must use my laptop for 7 years, and she will not allow me to use my money to buy a new computer until 7 years has passed(I'm 12).

So, can my laptop last for 7 years?

P.S. My mom bought my laptop, and she limited me to Samsung laptops because all other laptop brands have fucking shit support quallity in south korea. Fuck!

for typing and basic work yes. if you are going to use it for 7 year you should at least get 16 gb ram. please remember the spec and don't overestimate the hardware. 

3 minutes ago, VengeanceGamer said:

I have a samsung ativ book 8 with a core i7 4700hq, 8gb ddr4 ram, gt 750m, and a 256gb ssd. My mom says that I must use my laptop for 7 years, and she will not allow me to use my money to buy a new computer until 7 years has passed(I'm 12).

P.S. My mom bought my laptop, and she limited me to Samsung laptops because all other laptop brands have fucking shit support quallity in south korea. Fuck!

I mean, it's a laptop. They aren't designed to last the better part of a decade. I'm not familiar with child labor laws in South Korea, but if I were you, I would get a job ASAP.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

for typing and basic work yes. if you are going to use it for 7 year you should at least get 16 gb ram.

Yeah 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

for typing and basic work yes. if you are going to use it for 7 year you should at least get 16 gb ram.

Well the bad thing is that ddr3 rams will be very few at that point. Fuck.

3 minutes ago, VengeanceGamer said:

Quick question. Since you say you're 12 and you're supposed to use it for 7 years... 12+7 = 19.

Aren't you an adult by 18? So shouldn't the question really be can I use the laptop for 6 years?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

for typing and basic work yes. if you are going to use it for 7 year you should at least get 16 gb ram. please remember the spec and don't overestimate the hardware. 

I disagree. I think that normal wear and tear is going to shorten the life span compared to a desktop, and I also think that 16gb of ram isn't that useful paired with a 750m, but that's just like, my opinion man. ;) 

1 minute ago, DaveTheBeast023 said:

I mean, it's a laptop. They aren't designed to last the better part of a decade. I'm not familiar with child labor laws in South Korea, but if I were you, I would get a job ASAP.

Well in south korea, there is a big test called 'Soonung', and she won't let me get a job unless I go to college. Fucking parents!

1 minute ago, VengeanceGamer said:

Well the bad thing is that ddr3 rams will be very few at that point. Fuck.

ram speed doesn't matter for daily task. mind if i ask what you would be doing with the laptop?

ram speed doesn't matter for daily task. mind if i ask what you would be doing with the laptop?

Programming in c#

Well in south korea, there is a big test called 'Soonung', and she won't let me get a job unless I go to college. Fucking parents!

Damn. Maybe work the corner then once you turn 18, or sell some drugs on the side haha.

computer science? 

long as its small program its fine just take good care of the laptop. as others commented you should be able to get a get a job before you turn 19, so the problem is not really problem because you probably can afford a laptop for university, assuming you have plans to go. if you go to university a reliable laptop is a must its a worthwhile investment,

Sure it'll last for 7 years, that is if you baby it.  Clean out the keyboard, fans, etc. and keep it like new.  I have a desktop from 1998 that still works because I didn't abuse it.

My HP laptop with the i5 460M (now a 540M) has lasted to this day. About 6 years. Also got an SSD once the factory HDD failed. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, lilbman said:

Sure it'll last for 7 years, that is if you baby it.  Clean out the keyboard, fans, etc. and keep it like new.  I have a desktop from 1998 that still works because I didn't abuse it.

Well I once tried to clean the keyboard, and the keys were struggling to put it back. What should I do then? My laptop has a chiclet keyboard used in ulttrabooks!

13 hours ago, VengeanceGamer said:

Well I once tried to clean the keyboard, and the keys were struggling to put it back. What should I do then? My laptop has a chiclet keyboard used in ulttrabooks!

Did you take the key caps off the keyboard?

6 hours ago, lilbman said:

Did you take the key caps off the keyboard?

I took out the Caps lock and the f key, and yes, I took out the key caps and the mechanism. Is it worth it to fix the keyboard?

For most tasks a 4700hq should easily still be enough in 7 years, especially with how CPUs have not seen huge performance increases recently. If you game there is no way that a 750m will last 7 years, nothing will run good with that. But for browsing I have seen many laptops last 7 years. Although a 4700hq with a 750m is pretty good for a 12 year old. When I was around that age I had a computer that I really wanted to game on and was told it would be fine. It ran TF2 and Portal at less than 1 FPS.  Mind you this was around 2010-11 ish. Now I run a Alienware 17 R4 with a 1070 and a 6820Hk but I paid for myself. 

20 hours ago, VengeanceGamer said:

I took out the Caps lock and the f key, and yes, I took out the key caps and the mechanism. Is it worth it to fix the keyboard?

First off, you shouldn't have taken the key caps off unless you know that it's able to be changed, like a mechanical keyboard.  Next time, use canned air to blow dust and whatnot out of the keyboard.  I don't really think you should try to fix it unless you really do know what you're doing.  Glue might work but you must be extremely careful and it will most likely be temporary.  Use stuff that dries quickly and won't dribble down further. I would ask help from an adult if you decide to try this.  I am not taking responsibility if this goes wrong. 

Option two is you could buy an external keyboard.  These can range from a super cheap keyboard to something like a mechanical keyboard.  This is the much safer option, but you would have to carry it around with you.  Something like this will do-https://www.amazon.com/GMYLE-Compact-Wired-Mini-Keyboard/dp/B003PHJJV6

Option three is getting it fixed at a computer store.  This will be the most expensive option and there is a good chance it will not be permanent.