different fans on each other

guyonwater

i have a very strange idea of putting 2 different fans on each other. 1 very silent but less airflow and a 3000rpm noctua fan for high airflow but obviously more noise.

the idea is to drive them with a fan controller based on the temp, and the noctua would only switch on if it's really a must.

i did a quick test, where i did not feel significant change in the airflow with the noctua stopped in front of the silent fan, but with the noctua at full 3000rpm, it was a bit limit but still much better than without it.

anyone used this setup before? is this a crazy idea?

What are you trying achieve with this setup? Wouldn't two identical fans with specs somewhere in between get same results. Is this going to be with cooler or case? And if you are thinking of having 2 fans right next to each other, they will most likely cancel each others effect of fight each other rather than working as pair.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I think he's going for a two stage silent/ballz to the wallz config.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

yes, i want to have the option to go for very silent for desktop and "performance" setting for gaming. this would be case fan blowing directly on the graphics card, therefore it strategically important position.

fans are aerocool dead silence and noctual industrial 3000rpms. blowing cold air in. noctual would be stopped unless it is necessary.

is there any risk of damaging the fan by pushing the blades when the fan is off?

graphics card is water cooled, but backplate gets very hot :(