Server For Quake 3 Arena.

Go to solution Solved by CarsonAurum,

I'll preface by saying I don't play Quake, but since I know a thing or two about hosting game servers in general, I'll give this my best shot.

1. Check to make sure you can connect to the computer hosting the server on your own LAN. You can do this by locating the private IP of your server and typing that into the host field of whatever game you're playing along with the designated port. The private IP can be found in your router's control panel and it will be something beginning with 192.168 or 10.0. If you can't connect to the server this way, then make sure your server is properly set up because the problem is not network, it's the server's configuration.

2. Once you've ensured that your server runs correctly you need to port forward. Hamachi is a way to portforward, but the problem with Hamachi is that the clients connect (Eg. Your friends) also have to use Hamachi to log in, so it's better to try to port forward correctly. To portforward, google around and locate the ports that you need to forward for use with your particular game. Locate your particular router on this website: https://portforward.com/router.htm and it will tell you how to properly port forward. Port Forwarding is important because it tells your router that it is ok to let users outside your local network connect to a particular computer on your LAN. 

3. Once you have done that, on the server machine, open Google and type in "what is my IP address" This search should give you a google card with the public IP address of the server. Use that IP along with the port for the server (In this style IP:Port) to connect to the server in the game.

If you need any clarification or assistance, feel free to ask.

--

Carson

Hello, a few of my gamer friends and I want to play quake server together with just us and nobody else. I have an old server that i'm turning into a quake server but i have one issue. The server client starts fine and all but i was told that i need a WAN address and I have no idea how to find mine. I have tried www.whatismyip.com and logmein hamichi (spelled that wrong) and when i tell them that ip and they try to direct connect it just hangs at the connecting screen and i have tried connecting with 5 different computers.      So im stumped. Help is greatly appreciated and please no trolls.

lol sorry for being such a filthy noob

I'll preface by saying I don't play Quake, but since I know a thing or two about hosting game servers in general, I'll give this my best shot.

1. Check to make sure you can connect to the computer hosting the server on your own LAN. You can do this by locating the private IP of your server and typing that into the host field of whatever game you're playing along with the designated port. The private IP can be found in your router's control panel and it will be something beginning with 192.168 or 10.0. If you can't connect to the server this way, then make sure your server is properly set up because the problem is not network, it's the server's configuration.

2. Once you've ensured that your server runs correctly you need to port forward. Hamachi is a way to portforward, but the problem with Hamachi is that the clients connect (Eg. Your friends) also have to use Hamachi to log in, so it's better to try to port forward correctly. To portforward, google around and locate the ports that you need to forward for use with your particular game. Locate your particular router on this website: https://portforward.com/router.htm and it will tell you how to properly port forward. Port Forwarding is important because it tells your router that it is ok to let users outside your local network connect to a particular computer on your LAN. 

3. Once you have done that, on the server machine, open Google and type in "what is my IP address" This search should give you a google card with the public IP address of the server. Use that IP along with the port for the server (In this style IP:Port) to connect to the server in the game.

If you need any clarification or assistance, feel free to ask.

--

Carson