Windows 10 Install on a Hard Drive with Files

C13GE
Go to solution Solved by Squish4058,

Probably

easily no

risk free no

I would save yourself the hassle and dont do it. There is a good 50% chance you will misread something on a guide and actually wipe your data

Hello Forum Users, 

I've spent a couple hours building my new Gaming PC in the 460X Crystal case, however I've run into a problem. When I realised after selling my old pc (which I wiped completely) I have no fresh HDD's, SSD's etc. lying around. ls it possible to install windows onto my HDD with files on it (which I can't wipe otherwise it will take a couple months of constant download to get back what I will lose, [250kbps download, woo Australia] .) There are no partitions besides the one with the data on it and I have a bootable USB drive as well as the disc (Windows 10) for both.

No, doing so will result in a complete wipe of your data.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, C13GE said:

Hello Forum Users, 

I've spent a couple hours building my new Gaming PC in the 460X Crystal case, however I've run into a problem. When I realised after selling my old pc (which I wiped completely) I have no fresh HDD's, SSD's etc. lying around. ls it possible to install windows onto my HDD with files on it (which I can't wipe otherwise it will take a couple months of constant download to get back what I will lose, [250kbps download, woo Australia] .) There are no partitions besides the one with the data on it and I have a bootable USB drive as well as the disc (Windows 10) for both.

Do you have another computer available to you?

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

No, doing so will result in a complete wipe of your data.

Not true, I he has another computer it can be done easily 

2 minutes ago, CFstorm said:

Not true, I he has another computer it can be done easily 

Uhm, all he said is that he has no spare drives and asked if he can install windows on that drive while keeping the data. If copying them elsewhere had been an option I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be asking that question.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, CFstorm said:

Do you have another computer available to you?

I have a macbook, and an imac :/ which of course has file incompatibility issues.

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Uhm, all he said is that he has no spare drives and asked if he can install windows on that drive while keeping the data. If copying them elsewhere had been an option I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be asking that question.

I mean he could boot of one of his ssds, copy all the data to the hdds and then install on the ssd.

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I might just have to start my games library from the ground up, my drive doesn't get picked up by apple devices.

Short of putting the data on another storage device, you can get a partitioning tool like Partition Wizard and create a partition on the storage device you want to install Windows on. Then move data onto the new partition. If you don't have enough space, create one anyway, move data over, and resize the partitions as necessary. When you install Windows on the storage device, reverse the process.

However this still carries a risk of data loss, because you're messing with the file system.

Probably

easily no

risk free no

I would save yourself the hassle and dont do it. There is a good 50% chance you will misread something on a guide and actually wipe your data

3 minutes ago, kris2340k said:

Probably

easily no

risk free no

Thanks, might have to wait and buy an SSD or something.

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Short of putting the data on another storage device, you can get a partitioning tool like Partition Wizard and create a partition on the storage device you want to install Windows on. Then move data onto the new partition. If you don't have enough space, create one anyway, move data over, and resize the partitions as necessary. When you install Windows on the storage device, reverse the process.

However this still carries a risk of data loss, because you're messing with the file system.

Thanks for your help :)

15 minutes ago, Sauron said:

He can partition the drives.......

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

He can partition the drives.......

He only has one partition so he'd have to shrink it. Ok, it's possible in theory, but he's most likely end up with corrupted data or not enough space for windows anyway.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*