Tech Support Horror Story

So, I am basically the only person out of all of my friends that knows anything about computers, so I often become unpaid tech support for everyone.

I had been playing The Crew when someone called on skype, he said that with the computer he just built, he had no video output when he turned it on.

He bought an Intel Core i7 6800K, GTX 1080, 16GB of DDR4 RAM, and he had bought an AIO Watercooling kit for it. I don't know about you, but I was always taught that for your first PC build, you don't build a watercooled kit.

At first he had both DVI and HDMI plugged in one GTX 1080, going to a single monitor.

After that was all sorted out, I told him to open the case, and I noticed that it was watercooled, so I asked him if he had water in the loop. He said "no, is that a bad thing?" I told him that depending on how long he had the computer turned on for, there is a chance that the CPU was damaged because it overheated, due to it not being cooled at all. He replied "It should be fine, I have only had on for like an hour." If I am correct, it could take less than 10 seconds for damage to occur in a CPU that is not being cooled.

So, I tell him that damage can occur in a CPU in less than a minute, then he ended the call.

This is perhaps the worst experience that I have had as any sort of tech support. Have you ever encountered worse?

RIP Dark Theme users... We knew thee well...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 minutes ago, GormyGorm said:

So, I am basically the only person out of all of my friends that knows anything about computers, so I often become unpaid tech support for everyone.

I had been playing The Crew when someone called on skype, he said that with the computer he just built, he had no video output when he turned it on.

He bought an Intel Core i7 6800K, GTX 1080, 16GB of DDR4 RAM, and he had bought an AIO Watercooling kit for it. I don't know about you, but I was always taught that for your first PC build, you don't build a watercooled kit.

At first he had both DVI and HDMI plugged in one GTX 1080, going to a single monitor.

After that was all sorted out, I told him to open the case, and I noticed that it was watercooled, so I asked him if he had water in the loop. He said "no, is that a bad thing?" I told him that depending on how long he had the computer turned on for, there is a chance that the CPU was damaged because it overheated, due to it not being cooled at all. He replied "It should be fine, I have only had on for like an hour." If I am correct, it could take less than 10 seconds for damage to occur in a CPU that is not being cooled.

So, I tell him that damage can occur in a CPU in less than a minute, then he ended the call.

This is perhaps the worst experience that I have had as any sort of tech support. Have you ever encountered worse?

omg the font.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

CPUs have failsafes - they shut off over a certain temperature. It's fine without cooling for like 2 minutes. 

It's not damaged, it should be fine. 

idk

your friends have 6800k with gtx1080 they can afford to pay for professional tech support.

the bar for derpiness is far lower

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, JefferyD90 said:

omg the font.

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

RIP Dark Theme users... We knew thee well...

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

your friends have 6800k with gtx1080 they can afford to pay for professional tech support.

the bar for derpiness is far lower

The kid is like 12, and I was forcibly dragged into it by someone else. A friend of a friend thing... I should have mentioned it.

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

worthless snip

due to dark theme users being dead.

Or slightly less alive for the more "optimistic" of the members.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 minute ago, GormyGorm said:

The kid is like 12, and I was forcibly dragged into it by someone else. A friend of a friend thing... I should have mentioned it.

Wtf I wish I had a 3770k and 780 when I was 12. (I think these were the parts out at the time when I was 12)

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I had few

1. There was a person saying that Corsair CXM (gray label) is bad and you should never pair it on a higher end build. The user begin backing up their argument, linking to a product page of CXM green label. Note it's the product page, not the review

2. Another person saying EVGA PSU is good because of the brand. Saying to OP he should get EVGA 500B 

2 minutes ago, GormyGorm said:

dont care the age. work is work. if he cant pay for or his own system then get a bloody console

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I had few

1. There was a person saying that Corsair CXM (gray label) is bad and you should never pair it on a higher end build. The user begin backing up their argument, linking to a product page of CXM green label. Note it's the product page, not the review

2. Another person saying EVGA PSU is good because of the brand. Saying to OP he should get EVGA 500B 

500B - the B is for 'Blows the fuck up with high end builds'

idk

Just now, DarkBlade2117 said:

Wtf I wish I had a 3770k and 780 when I was 12. (I think these were the parts out at the time when I was 12)

Same... Not just that shit, the kid got like triple ASUS 1080p monitors as well. My first PC was an eMachines that ran Windows Vista.

8 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I had an intel pentium @ 2.0ghz and a GeForce 9600 GT. I know the feeling 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

Same... Not just that shit, the kid got like triple ASUS 1080p monitors as well. My first PC was an eMachines that ran Windows Vista.

My first PC was 5 years ago that had 4GBs of DDR2 and a Core 2 Duo. I was then given a PC with an A6-3650 and 8GBs of DDR3. Popped a 750Ti in it about 15 months ago and after a few months of saving up and buying parts, ended up with what I've got now. Only 16 atm but huge upgrading coming. 6700k, Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass and a Crucial MX300 525GB or instead of the SSD, a Deepcool Captain 240EX white.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

5 minutes ago, GormyGorm said:

My first has a Win98

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

My first has a Win98

Mine was 95 and I kept that with me until 2000 and XP came out.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Mine was 95 and I kept that with me until 2000 and XP came out.

Remember those fat ass monitor

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

CRT? I still have one.

Aren't AIO coolers prefilled and sealed?

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Those fat ass monitors were great for gaming until LCD's caught up.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Aren't AIO coolers prefilled and sealed?

They are. I'm assuming he bought a DIY kit from EK or something.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, ARikozuM said:

To be honest, I don't know... and I don't think that the kid that called me knew either.

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Imagine you are drunk and filling them with alcohol and now your computer is also drunk

To be honest, I don't know... and I don't think that the kid that called me knew either.

That kid prob gonna liquid cool a locked i3 6100 because stock cooler is loud