4K HDR Blu Ray - Is it worth it?

nicklmg
2 minutes ago, xnamkcor said:

Put the color TVs in a store where people walk by or shop. Then again, color was an amazing change in visuals. HDR is maybe a 10% increase, less so to older people. Even worse when display units are blown out instead of properly calibrated. Or when a bad company DVD or Blu-Ray demo reel is used to show off a display, but the compression in the media itself is so bad that it never gets the chance.

Indeed, all challenges on how to show a proper comparison. There's no easy way to demo it. But in my LCD 4K HDR TV at work, it was still impressive, and that's not even a Quantum Dot or OLED TV.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Indeed, all challenges on how to show a proper comparison. There's no easy way to demo it. But in my LCD 4K HDR TV at work, it was still impressive, and that's not even a Quantum Dot or OLED TV.

I'd go with a dark room or even a display with a hood to limit light.

The concern I have is that: do I play back an uncompressed source that pushes the display to it's limits and really shows off what it can do? Or do I try to stay as honest as possible and limit myself to trying to find the best Blu-Ray movie in the format and hope that can convey it enough?

How would I properly show in a limited time(before they get distracted) do I express that it's not just brighter or darker and the display next to it can't match it with just picture adjustments?

2 minutes ago, xnamkcor said:

I'd go with a dark room or even a display with a hood to limit light.

The concern I have is that: do I play back an uncompressed source that pushes the display to it's limits and really shows off what it can do? Or do I try to stay as honest as possible and limit myself to trying to find the best Blu-Ray movie in the format and hope that can convey it enough?

How would I properly show in a limited time(before they get distracted) do I express that it's not just brighter or darker and the display next to it can't match it with just picture adjustments?

I would say finding a movie that has an excellent UHD Blu-Ray master AND an excellent 1080p Blu-Ray master, would be ideal for a demo. Go through before hand, and note the timestamps of some particularly excellent scenes.

Ideally, you'd also use the same TV to do a comparison with a standalone 1080p Blu-Ray player on a separate input (Or side by side if you have two of the same model of UHD HDR TV).

And yes, a dark room, with ideal home theatre lighting would also be good if possible.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)