Kitguru releases R9 290x 4k performance

theroflcopta

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/amd-r9-290x-review-ultra-hd-4k-testing-part-2/

post-7478-0-73853800-1383281752_thumb.jp

Kitguru benchmarked a R9 290x as they put it to the test in a 4k gaming scenario with a Asus PQ321QE monitor and the results did not disappoint. The R9 290x topped the charts in every game except falling just behind the GTX Titan in AvP and behind both the GTX Titan and GTX 780 in batman arkham origins. I think this just reaffirms that the R9 290x is a beast when it comes to 4k gaming. Of course temps and power draw were higher than anything from the green team.

the performance numbers are still very impressive when taking into consideration 4k is barely out on the market for most mainstream users and we already have cards that are capable of handling most games at max or near max settings with very playable framerates. Very cool stuff!

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Also I know more R9 news but hey thought it was cool and I thought I would share : )

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

I am more interested how it will preform when properly cooled since the reference cooler is garbage, WC or custom cooler am i waiting for.

Same here honestly. AMD not allowing after market cards at or a little after launch was just a huge mistake in my opinion especially when you are reach 90C+ it's just ludicrous and has given them a lot of bad publicity :I

Same here honestly. AMD not allowing after market cards at or a little after launch was just a huge mistake in my opinion especially when you are reach 90C+ it's just ludicrous and has given them a lot of bad publicity :I

In CCC you have a temp target slider just like NVIDIA's GPU boost 2.0 meaning if you aren't comfortable with 95c just set it too 70c-80c with a more aggressive fan profile.

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

Garbage benchmark methodology, some tests had MSAA enabled (semi-effectively 8K or 16K) as well as SSAO enabled. All these benchmarks using ultra SSAO at 4K makes the average person think current graphics cards are not ready for 4K, even though disabling SSAO can have huge gains at that resolution.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

In CCC you have a temp target slider just like NVIDIA's GPU boost 2.0 meaning if you aren't comfortable with 95c just set it too 70c-80c with a more aggressive fan profile.

I know but the temps do mean there isnt a lot of OC headroom. Which btw how are you liking yours?

I know but the temps do mean there isnt a lot of OC headroom. Which btw how are you liking yours?

honestly, the cooler is completely capable of cooling immense amounts of heat, it just sounds like a jet engine while doing it...

I've got mine up too a 15% OC with on air although have ordered water blocks so I can add it to the rest of my custom loop.

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

While 4K gaming is cool, call me crazy but I don't think many of us can afford a 4K monitor. 

So what if the 290X is the king of 4K gaming? Hardly any of us can freaking afford a 4K monitor so it's not exactly relevant right now (IMO) that being said, 4K monitors should drop in price in the next few years so who knows? 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

While 4K gaming is cool, call me crazy but I don't think many of us can afford a 4K monitor. 

So what if the 290X is the king of 4K gaming? Hardly any of us can freaking afford a 4K monitor so it's not exactly relevant right now (IMO) that being said, 4K monitors should drop in price in the next few years so who knows? 

I know now but I think this coming year we will see 1000-1500 USD 4k monitors the prices are dropping so fast and honestly i'd pay 1200 dollars for a 24" 4k monitor right now :I  So the way i look at it. Get a card that handles 1080p+ resolutions like a boss now than if you decide to get a 4k monitor next year or the year after your card will STILL be able to handle it like a boss. Not gonna say future proof but it has more longevity to it than a 780 does :I but than again a 780 ti will probably be just as good haha

The reason for only having reference coolers at the beginning was that AMD had not shipped a large enough quantity of GPUs to AIB partners so they could start large scale manufacturing. Once AMD delivers AIB more GPUs they will start production of non-reference coolers. I would be surprised if it is not the same reason as why the GTX Titan is limited to only reference coolers as with larger die area you get less chips per wafer. The R9 290(X) has a much larger gpu die than the previous hd7000 class cards.

4k benchmarks? You wanna tell me you care bout 4 fuking k benchmarks? Please if anyone want to play at 4k he will be so rich to not give a damn about benchmakrs and just get 4 titans

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

remember the days when your led monitor cost 2x-3x the price now? i think those 4k monitor prices will go down in time

remember the days when your led monitor cost 2x-3x the price now? i think those 4k monitor prices will go down in time

Exactly tell someone from 3 years ago they could get a 21" 1080p IPS panel LCD monitor for below 150 bucks and they would laugh in your face.  

Yeah but in three or four years when you get an affordable 4K monitor you probably aren't going to be running a 290X on it.  If you're getting it for the 4K performance in three years, why not just wait three years and get it then when you can get a much better card for the same price, if you aren't going to have a 4K monitor until then anyway.

That being said, it's not like 4K gaming is the only thing the 290X is good at.  It's just a show of strength if nothing else.

$999 for a 4k 50 inch TV (out now).

999 for a 4k 24 inch Monitor (out Q1 2014).

If you have enough money for a Titan, two 290xs, or two 780s you have enough money (It's not even that much for poor people; it's 4k!) for a nice screen.

For people buying a GPU now, I'd wait for the non-reference 290, 290x, and 780Ti/GHz to come out before you make a purchase.

The moment all those come out, it's time for a GPU buy (with 8xx coming, I wouldn't tardy).

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ