Gtx980 TI temps going strange

alexbotez

Hello guys, my Gtx980Ti is going a bit nuts. Temps are going up to 60 on idle mode and then the fans are kicking in cooling it off to 50, this happens almost every minute, like it's overheating. it raises up to 60, goes down 50 and again, on repeat. it's like that for the last week, wasn't like that till now, it ran smooth and silently. any ideas why? 

Do you have an overclock?

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

No, i didn't overclock it. I even uninstalled the software because i thought it may help run Bf1 without hickups, i had some problems with that. 

what make/model?

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

7 minutes ago, alexbotez said:

Hello guys, my Gtx980Ti is going a bit nuts. Temps are going up to 60 on idle mode and then the fans are kicking in cooling it off to 50, this happens almost every minute, like it's overheating. it raises up to 60, goes down 50 and again, on repeat. it's like that for the last week, wasn't like that till now, it ran smooth and silently. any ideas why? 

The GPU probably has a feature were the fans dont spin unless they need to. I have it on my r9 390s and the fans dont spin unless it gets above 65c. Has this just started or has it always happened?

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

It's a Gigabyte G1 Gaming gtx980ti 6gb, it runs at 1150 base clock and 1750 memory clock so no OC and the temperature keeps on going up to 60, every minute. that's the real problem, it's getting heated up for no reason because i'm just browsing, don't even playing any game. it just started doing so for the last week i guess, i started noticing the heavy sound of the fans. and then i monitored the temp in gpu-z

also don't know if it's a coincidence or not but that's when i also started playing Bf1 and updated my drivers to the latest ones (376.33). that's when problems appeared. 

i also noticed that one of the fans is working harder than the others, meaning is moving slower and not so smooth. when i tried to move it with my hand, it didnt have the same speed as the others. i don t know if that s normal or not, the other two are fine

Do you run a 144hz or above monitor? Try setting it to 120hz, see if that fixes it. Just as a test, not permanently. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

it's 120

i was thinking of downgrading the drivers to the previous ones. maybe something is loading the gpu for no reason

2 hours ago, alexbotez said:

also don't know if it's a coincidence or not but that's when i also started playing Bf1 and updated my drivers to the latest ones (376.33). that's when problems appeared. 

Hmm, weird, I do know that the Gigabyte G1 card will have the fans off and then turn on under load, but at idle, it should be running pretty cool.

Do you have something like MSI afterburner? Check to see what the GPU usage is like at idle. I run mine with a fan curve on MSI afterburner (Not a fan of the wait for GPU to get hot then have fans turn on) and changed the thermal paste so I can't remember what the stock temps were like.

Post a GPU-z image showing 2 to 5 minutes of your PC idling at desktop (in the sensor tab, of course...).

Something may be setting the GPU to full clockspeed even at idle hence the high idle temps. (that's my guess). 

It could be because you set the NV control panel to maximum performance, your internet browser not letting it idle, windows energy profile, etc. 

ok. so i think i have found the problem. it's the drivers. i've downgraded to some older ones and my temp is now at a steady 41 degrees which is 10 degrees cooler than with the other drivers. plus it's not going up anymore, in idle state. so i guess it's a conflicting driver issue. i'm curious if anyone else had the same problem as me. also i had experienced issues ingame while playing bf1, with stuttering and heavy lag after 30 mins of smooth gameplay, with the same drivers (376.33)

The problem is most likely your monitor. Anyone with a monitor that goes over 60hz runs into this. 

BF1 is a problem game, I can't even run it for longer than 5min before the game crashes, only game that does. So most likely any problem you're having with BF1, is BF1.

18 hours ago, App4that said:

The problem is most likely your monitor. Anyone with a monitor that goes over 60hz runs into this. 

BF1 is a problem game, I can't even run it for longer than 5min before the game crashes, only game that does. So most likely any problem you're having with BF1, is BF1.

i actually can play BF1 for many hours and it never crashes but after i updated the drivers i had lots of problems. now i find that one of my videocard fans is not spinning properly, what can i do? oil it or replace it?

3 hours ago, alexbotez said:

i actually can play BF1 for many hours and it never crashes but after i updated the drivers i had lots of problems. now i find that one of my videocard fans is not spinning properly, what can i do? oil it or replace it?

By not spinning properly what do you mean? A lot of cards only have both fans spin until you reach a fixed temperature. 

7 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Sounds like a corrupted driver and game. Use DDU To clean out the old drivers then install the new ones. Also reinstall BF1

Also BF1 is fine on Radeon under dx11.  But dx12 is totally broken 

In some systems the games just broken. Even after a complete wipe and re installing Windows BF1 won't run on mine Langer than 5 minutes. 

Nothing to do with bf1. Having a similar issue. If I surround my monitors on my old 7 series cards the memory stay at its highest speed. Cards idle at 60c.

My 1080 is sitting at 1708 on the gpu and 5005 on the memory on a single 1440 144hz monitor. Its under water so it doesn't get hot but idles at 34.

Assuming its a driver issue but I haven't tried one that will make it stop.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

3 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Nothing to do with bf1. Having a similar issue. If I surround my monitors on my old 7 series cards the memory stay at its highest speed. Cards idle at 60c.

My 1080 is sitting at 1708 on the gpu and 5005 on the memory on a single 1440 144hz monitor. Its under water so it doesn't get hot but idles at 34.

Assuming its a driver issue but I haven't tried one that will make it stop.

Isn't one. For me setting the refresh rate to 120hz fixes it, but then I'm stuck at 120hz. Doesn't hurt anything. Maybe uses a little extra power is all. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Isn't one. For me setting the refresh rate to 120hz fixes it, but then I'm stuck at 120hz. Doesn't hurt anything. Maybe uses a little extra power is all. 

Well I don't see why it would do it at all. Has never done it in the past 4 years.

My old card sits at 300 or so on the gpu and 3500 on the memory. Even with the monitors at 60, which I have never used them at.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

Well I don't see why it would do it at all. Has never done it in the past 4 years.

My old card sits at 300 or so on the gpu and 3500 on the memory. Even with the monitors at 60, which I have never used them at.

It's a bug. Been that way going on a year now if not more. If you run a high refresh rate monitor it raises the clock speed of the GPU, both mine do it. Not sure if everyone is effected, but I know a bunch are. Like I said it doesn't hurt anything. Just raises the resting clock speed significantly. For me it's 1139MHz on both cores. But I'm on water so that doesn't change the temps.