M.2 Question on MSI Z170A M5

Specs

Motherboard : MSI 170a M5

Cpu : Intel G4400

Gpu : XFX 6840 2g

RAM : 2x4g g.Skill 3200mhz C16

My plan is to buy 2x m.2 MVMe cards, my motherboard has two slots. The question I have is are they going to be using 4 lanes each or 4 lanes total? Secondly I read that M.2 runs to the chip-set in which I read that it might have 4 additional lanes? I also read something that contradicts that in which the lanes go to the chipset then to the cpu so, the cpu would break down the bandwidth to allow it to fit under the max available lanes. Would that give 8x  to the gpu and each m.2 would get 4x or if the m.2 are combined for a total of 4 lanes would that be 8x 4x, even more random, if the chipset has 4 lanes and cpu has 16 lanes. i have 2 m.2 which of the two would go to the chipset and the other to the cpu. Lastly, if they do combine for x4 would 2 m.2 cards go to the chipset(again if that is a thing) and my gpu would stay at x16??  If anyone could shed some light on the explanation of the it would be greatly appreciated.  I applogize in advanced if this is a little scribbly just read to many things on the internet that contradict them selfs. Figured id just ask the question and where else better then linustechtips Thanks

-Logan

Cpu : Intel 6600k

Gpu : Red Devil r480 8g

Ram : 2x4g g.Skill 3200mhz C16

Hard drive : 500g 7200rpm,3tb,2tb all three different brands using 6gb/s sata III

SSD/Nvme: Intel 600p 512gb

33 minutes ago, Stoagmeyer said:

Specs

Cpu : Intel G4400

Gpu : XFX 6840 2g

RAM : 2x4g g.Skill 3200mhz C16

My plan is to buy 2x m.2 MVMe cards, my motherboard has two slots. The question I have is are they going to be using 4 lanes each or 4 lanes total? Secondly I read that M.2 runs to the chip-set in which I read that it might have 4 additional lanes? I also read something that contradicts that in which the lanes go to the chipset then to the cpu so, the cpu would break down the bandwidth to allow it to fit under the max available lanes. Would that give 8x  to the gpu and each m.2 would get 4x or if the m.2 are combined for a total of 4 lanes would that be 8x 4x, even more random, if the chipset has 4 lanes and cpu has 16 lanes. i have 2 m.2 which of the two would go to the chipset and the other to the cpu. Lastly, if they do combine for x4 would 2 m.2 cards go to the chipset(again if that is a thing) and my gpu would stay at x16??  If anyone could shed some light on the explanation of the it would be greatly appreciated.  I applogize in advanced if this is a little scribbly just read to many things on the internet that contradict them selfs. Figured id just ask the question and where else better then linustechtips Thanks

-Logan

HI, your m.2 slots use the Lanes from PCH. Z170 Chipset has 20 LANES!!

Here from your mobo

Screenshot_2.jpg

If you use both m.2 @pcie mode, it will disable sata express port and sata 5 and 6 port and use the lanes from them

Here is the Table 

Screenshot_3.jpg

Both m.2 SSDs can run @x4. Together 8 Lanes...

m.2_1 Port has 4 lanes alone. M2_2 port shares 4 lanes with satae and sata 5 and 6 ports..

Your GPU will stay @x16

Pls read the manual... 

Also, there is very little chance that 2x on each drive will be a bottleneck.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

8 hours ago, SmashinMachine said:

HI, your m.2 slots use the Lanes from PCH. Z170 Chipset has 20 LANES!!

Here from your mobo

Screenshot_2.jpg

If you use both m.2 @pcie mode, it will disable sata express port and sata 5 and 6 port and use the lanes from them

Here is the Table 

Screenshot_3.jpg

Both m.2 SSDs can run @x4. Together 8 Lanes...

m.2_1 Port has 4 lanes alone. M2_2 port shares 4 lanes with satae and sata 5 and 6 ports..

Your GPU will stay @x16

Pls read the manual... 

I appreciate the information. " Pls read the manual...  " really?  That was my first course of action and it did have the second diagram that you posted but did not however have the first one. I understand the configuration and knew before hand what the m.2 would disable. However, from the second diagram there is no information on where the lanes were. Again thank you for the information, I suppose I lacked the correctly terminology when searching on google for a few hrs previous to this post.  

Hard drive : 500g 7200rpm,3tb,2tb all three different brands using 6gb/s sata III

9 hours ago, Stoagmeyer said:

I appreciate the information. " Pls read the manual...  " really?  That was my first course of action and it did have the second diagram that you posted but did not however have the first one. I understand the configuration and knew before hand what the m.2 would disable. However, from the second diagram there is no information on where the lanes were. Again thank you for the information, I suppose I lacked the correctly terminology when searching on google for a few hrs previous to this post.  

Sry, you missunderstood. English is not my first language.

I mean with "pls read the manual",  need to look further at the manual for examples

i did these screenshots from the manual and there are some examples for m2 configuration.#

^_^ Sry for my bad english

>You r welcome 

14 hours ago, Crossbred said:

Also, there is very little chance that 2x on each drive will be a bottleneck.

Msi use "TWIN TURBO m.2 64Gb/s" in their z170 boards. Each of m.2 ports can use 32Gb/s. It will not be a problem.

Screenshot_4.jpg

But m.2_2 Port is a little bit slower than m2.1 Port because of the Switches between itsself and SAta ports.

Bencmarks with  SM951  512 GB for Illustration

m.2_1

m2_1.png

m.2_2

m2_2.png

3 hours ago, SmashinMachine said:

Msi use "TWIN TURBO m.2 64Gb/s" in their z170 boards. Each of m.2 ports can use 32Gb/s. It will not be a problem.

Screenshot_4.jpg

But m.2_2 Port is a little bit slower than m2.1 Port because of the Switches between itsself and SAta ports.

Bencmarks with  SM951  512 GB for Illustration

m.2_1

m2_1.png

m.2_2

m2_2.png

Awsome, thank you again for all the information. Im guessing you looked the manual up online? I used the manual that came with the board its self. I should have looked it up online thought too. Thanks