Budget headphones

r4dv1s

Hello guys, so I broke my cheap headphones and would like to buy new ones. Budget is about 100 euros. I want them to meet these requirements: good soundstage, quite comfortable, good frequencies and good sound. I need them so I could use them for long periods of time for music, movies and sometimes fps games. I would like to hear from people who have the recommendations themselves. Thanks.

get the most expensive jbl, bose, sennheiser headphones you can get

Main PC
CPU: i3-4160. RAM: 2x4GB Kingston ValueRam. GPU: Asus GTX750Ti OC 2GB (Palit StormOC 750Ti Bios). CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X.
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3. Storage: 1x Samsung 840 Evo. RAID 0: WD Scorpio Blue 500GB, WD Caviar Blue 500GB. PSU: Corsair CX500M.
Network: some TP-Link card that doesnt support 5.0Ghz. Case: Casecom Neptune CP-626 (the cooler doesnt fit so the side panel stays off).
Mouse: Logitech G430. Headphones: Sennheiser RS195. Keyboard: Lenovo KU0225. OS: Windows 10 Pro

stuff that isnt my main pc
Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E531 - Ubuntu 17.04 (Gnome Desktop)
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B - Not in Use
Raspberry Pi 3 - RetroPie

Phones/Tablets
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Lineage 14.1 (Android 7.1.1)
HTC One M7 - Dead Charging Port - Lineage 14.1 (Android 7.1.1)
HTC One M8 - Dead Sim Port -  Lineage 15 (Android 8.0.0)
Telstra 4GX Plus (ZTE Blade A462) - Android M Stock
iPhone 4S - Dead Battery Sensor (Stuck on too hot warning) - Latest iOS 9
iPhone 5 - MAIN PHONE - iOS 10.3.3

Consoles
Xbox One
Xbox 360 S
PlayStation 2 Fat

Headset: Plantronics RIG400HX 

8 minutes ago, twoSalty said:

get the most expensive jbl, bose, sennheiser headphones you can get

Well, some seems very bad even though it's expensive.

Headphones for each budget (by LinusTechTip's resident audiophile) is in my sig. Otherwise here:

Also, don't buy Bose or JBL.. Sennheiser is good though.

I used to be quite active here.

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

Headphones for each budget (by LinusTechTip's resident audiophile) is in my sig. Otherwise here:

Thanks i'll look into it.

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

jbl and bose do better in speakers but the headphones are still decent. better than any earpods or pc gaming headphones

Main PC
CPU: i3-4160. RAM: 2x4GB Kingston ValueRam. GPU: Asus GTX750Ti OC 2GB (Palit StormOC 750Ti Bios). CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X.
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3. Storage: 1x Samsung 840 Evo. RAID 0: WD Scorpio Blue 500GB, WD Caviar Blue 500GB. PSU: Corsair CX500M.
Network: some TP-Link card that doesnt support 5.0Ghz. Case: Casecom Neptune CP-626 (the cooler doesnt fit so the side panel stays off).
Mouse: Logitech G430. Headphones: Sennheiser RS195. Keyboard: Lenovo KU0225. OS: Windows 10 Pro

stuff that isnt my main pc
Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E531 - Ubuntu 17.04 (Gnome Desktop)
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B - Not in Use
Raspberry Pi 3 - RetroPie

Phones/Tablets
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Lineage 14.1 (Android 7.1.1)
HTC One M7 - Dead Charging Port - Lineage 14.1 (Android 7.1.1)
HTC One M8 - Dead Sim Port -  Lineage 15 (Android 8.0.0)
Telstra 4GX Plus (ZTE Blade A462) - Android M Stock
iPhone 4S - Dead Battery Sensor (Stuck on too hot warning) - Latest iOS 9
iPhone 5 - MAIN PHONE - iOS 10.3.3

Consoles
Xbox One
Xbox 360 S
PlayStation 2 Fat

Headset: Plantronics RIG400HX 

5 minutes ago, twoSalty said:

jbl and bose do better in speakers but the headphones are still decent. better than any earpods or pc gaming headphones

Bose headphones are mediocre, unless you're getting those noise-cancelling ones (expensive, but wonderfully comfortable is what I've heard.)

4 minutes ago, r4dv1s said:

Thanks i'll look into it.

Look at reviews for each headphone to see which ones you think you'd like. If possible, try to listen to them before you buy them, but if not, then really pay attention to those reviews. Around your budget, you can't go wrong with anything on that list. 

Hi SSL :)

10 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Look at reviews for each headphone to see which ones you think you'd like. If possible, try to listen to them before you buy them, but if not, then really pay attention to those reviews. Around your budget, you can't go wrong with anything on that list. 

Hi SSL :)

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or Audio-Technica ATH-M40x?

Closed Headphones - Rock / Pop:

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus (a bit bass heavy though - good for large XXL motorcycle-helmet heads)

Open Headphones - Jazz / Classic:

HifiMan HE 350 (not good for large XXL motorcycle-helmet heads)

Open Headphone - Rock / Pop:

Beyerdynamic DT 990 edition (not the "pro" version for home use)

All of them are a bit over 100€ though. But all 3 are worth the money!

I owned all of these headphones, or still do. From what you described it is used on a computer most of the time, all of these headphones will not go super loud without an AMP/DAC, but will be loud enough to ruin your hearing in the long run don't worry. I would go with the 990 if open is an option, if there are other people in the room I would go with the custom one pro.

4 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

Closed Headphones - Rock / Pop:

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus (a bit bass heavy though - good for large XXL motorcycle-helmet heads)

Open Headphones - Jazz / Classic:

HifiMan HE 350 (not good for large XXL motorcycle-helmet heads)

Open Headphone - Rock / Pop:

Beyerdynamic DT 990 edition (not the "pro" version for home use)

All of them are a bit over 100€ though. But all 3 are worth the money!

I owned all of these headphones, or still do. From what you described it is used on a computer most of the time, all of these headphones will not go super loud without an AMP/DAC, but will be loud enough to ruin your hearing in the long run don't worry. I would go with the 990 if open is an option, if there are other people in the room I would go with the custom one pro.

They are all over 180 euros in my country...

10 minutes ago, Velvet Revolver said:

Urban Ears are great and a good value.

sadly I was unlucky with those - got a Humlan for my niece, the first one was not playing sound on the right earcup, the second one had a damaged headband and from what I heard in a totally not representative test done by myself, they sound like the next hipster-beats-by-dr.-someone-wannabes. At least not totally overpriced and useful for some as a fashion statement.

2 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

sadly I was unlucky with those - got a Humlan for my niece, the first one was not playing sound on the right earcup, the second one had a damaged headband and from what I heard in a totally not representative test done by myself, they sound like the next hipster-beats-by-dr.-someone-wannabes. At least not totally overpriced and useful for some as a fashion statement.

Maybe you have experience with Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or Audio-Technica ATH-M40x? They're affordable for me.

1 minute ago, r4dv1s said:

Maybe you have experience with Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or Audio-Technica ATH-M40x? They're affordable for me.

I never had a 280 but I had a couple of ATs. All ATs I had were worth the money, especially the ATH-M40x. So yes I can recommend that one, not too heavy on the bass too though, that's something that becomes important over time :-)

3 minutes ago, r4dv1s said:

Lithuania, almost all 100 dollar headphones in my country are over 150 euro

ah ok - heard a couple of times that consumer electronics is very expensive for you guys :-/

5 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

I never had a 280 but I had a couple of ATs. All ATs I had were worth the money, especially the ATH-M40x. So yes I can recommend that one, not too heavy on the bass too though, that's something that becomes important over time :-)

So M40x to go

5 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

ah ok - heard a couple of times that consumer electronics is very expensive for you guys :-/

Thanks for the help. :)

12 hours ago, r4dv1s said:

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or Audio-Technica ATH-M40x?

The Sennheisers will probably be more comfortable, and reviews say it's better than the M40x-but that would be for you to decide. Comfort-wise, the M40x's are not great, but that's lower-end AT headphones in general. I replaced the ear pads on my M30x's and they're much better now, but that adds cost.

I'd say buy the 280 Pros and try them. If you don't like them, return them and try something else.