CMD not running as admin

Go to solution Solved by 4b33r,

Guess what,a simple restart did the trick.

Sorry for wasting your time.

Thanks.

Hello,

Greetings,I have a quite severe issue on my hands.I cannot run cmd as administrator.

Whenever I try to do so I get the error 

"File system error (-1073741819)"

Googling this issue brought up results that my drive might be corrupted.But that's not possible as everything else (checked most of my stuff) runs just fine and even CMD works fine when not run as admin.

People are saying try "chkdsk" but I cannot do that as I cannot run CMD as admin.If I cannot fix this I might have to do a fresh install.Something I really don't want to do.

Thanks all for your help.

1 minute ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

Hey, can you run Powershell as admin?  You should be able to run chkdsk in there.  

Nope,same issue with powershell.Can run it but not as admin.Gives me the same error

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Right click on the drive in "Computer", select "Properties", then go to the "Tools" tab, then you can run ChkDsk from there. Or at least a basic version of it.

Scanned it,said no errors were found.

Just now, 4b33r said:

Scanned it,said no errors were found.

http://www.howtogeek.com/220986/how-to-use-all-of-windows-10’s-backup-and-recovery-tools/

I'm being lazy, so scroll down to "Advanced startup options", you should be able to run an elevated command prompt from there.

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

http://www.howtogeek.com/220986/how-to-use-all-of-windows-10’s-backup-and-recovery-tools/

I'm being lazy, so scroll down to "Advanced startup options", you should be able to run an elevated command prompt from there.

Hold shift while clikcing restart in windows, then go to advanced, recovery. Then when you restart, you can run a cmd.

Computers r fun

I went and looked some more into this issue. It appears to be UAC screwing up after an upgrade. The common solution appears to be using sfc /scannow except... it only works in an elevated command prompt which you can't do (though you should be able to do it in the advanced recovery menu thing)

You can also try doing what's described at https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/9872-file-system-error-1073741819-a.html

Otherwise I'm sure one of these from the ever so helpful Google should work: https://www.google.com/search?q=File+system+error+(-1073741819)&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Also semi rant because I'm sure someone wants to chime in on how dumb Windows is.

I ran into a similar problem on Linux where I couldn't do anything with a folder other than read from it. sudo chmod would not work on it. Logging as root then trying to chmod or chown would not work. The solution was to create a local account with the same UID as the folder's owner so that Linux would think that account was the owner of the folder (even though it really wasn't) and then I could change it.

Easy task: Reinstall Windows

Mobo: ASRock B150M Pro4s | CPU: Intel core i7 7700 with stock cooler | Storages: 2x80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm + Zotac 120GB | Memory: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Fury | PSU: 400W HYN 80+ | GPU: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB | Tower: an old one from the other decade | Monitor: ASUS Widescreen 900p + ViewSonic FHD| Speaker: microlab

Guess what,a simple restart did the trick.

Sorry for wasting your time.

Thanks.