AKG K7XX Headphones?

Hey there,

Before I resume with my question, here's my motherboard with its on-board audio:  Asrock Z97M ANNIVERSARY MATX Motherboard Socket 1150 (Intel Z97, 4x DDR3, 4x SATA III)

I won't be purchasing a DAC or sound card with these headphones by Massdrop, because many have told me that my motherboard should be good enough to provide everything the headphones have to offer, and a DAC/sound card would do nothing to actually improve the SOUND QUALITY of the headphones. My question is to the people who own these headphones, or have some sort of experience with them. Preferably even with and without a DAC/sound card to accompany it, so I know whether the headphones are worth the $200 (plus $25 to UK shipping), and whether I'm making the right decision by not purchasing a DAC/sound card along with these headphones.

Thanks!

thats a very very budget board you got there, with the ALC662 chip, which isn't that great.

ofc try withonboard first.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

The AKG K7XX are not easily powered with only a motherboard. I highly recommend get at least an amp.

51 minutes ago, NewKID said:

The AKG K7XX are not easily powered with only a motherboard. I highly recommend get at least an amp.

At "least" an amp? What's the next step up from an amp?

26 minutes ago, SSL said:

At "least" an amp? What's the next step up from an amp?

super amp?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I use the K7XX with a powered usb hub:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YFQ7M88
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MRGKPH8
and even though it will probably make some people here shudder I use this for a dac:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRVQ0F8

And everything works excellent. There are no issues driving the headphones to a comfortable listening level at a super low volume setting and any of the higher settings cause immediate pain.

9 hours ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

I use the K7XX with a powered usb hub:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YFQ7M88
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MRGKPH8
and even though it will probably make some people here shudder I use this for a dac:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRVQ0F8

And everything works excellent. There are no issues driving the headphones to a comfortable listening level at a super low volume setting and any of the higher settings cause immediate pain.

um what? What's the point in the powered hub, and what's the point of the whole set up?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

3 minutes ago, spwath said:

um what? What's the point in the powered hub, and what's the point of the whole set up?

A powered usb hub can output more power than one that solely gets power from the mobo. For example without the power adapter my usb hub can not power both my corsair scimitar mouse and my corsair k95 keyboard but with the power adapter it can power both of them as well as charge a usb device and drive my headphones + a mod mic. So I'm not sure if that makes a difference with the volume the headphones output at because I've never used them without a dedicated powered usb hub.

The cheapo dac was just me showing what I use to get them to work with the usb hub.

25 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

A powered usb hub can output more power than one that solely gets power from the mobo. For example without the power adapter my usb hub can not power both my corsair scimitar mouse and my corsair k95 keyboard but with the power adapter it can power both of them as well as charge a usb device and drive my headphones + a mod mic. So I'm not sure if that makes a difference with the volume the headphones output at because I've never used them without a dedicated powered usb hub.

The cheapo dac was just me showing what I use to get them to work with the usb hub.

but why not use onboard? It will be just as good or better, and free

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Since OP hasn't replied, not sure if he's reading or cares anymore, but heresmytwocentz...

As a fellow britfag don't buy the 7XX's from massdrop. They will come with an import tax of about £40 extra on top. This isn't or wasn't listed on the prduct page itself, but of you look hard enough you will find T&C's that say there might be a import charge.

Massdrop also does not follow UK/European trade laws as they would not give me a refund when i asked for one. I was well within 14 days of purchase, and anything under The Consumer Contracts (formerly Distance Selling) regulations 13 June 2014 allows me to get a refund as a European Citizen.

I got my credit card company to privde me with a full refund and never been to massdrop.com ever since.

Get the AKG K702's on Amazon with Linus' affiliate for £116 with next day shipping if you are prime. (Massdrop will take ages as the drop has to be filled with customers, then they will ship it across the pond..)

4 hours ago, spwath said:

but why not use onboard? It will be just as good or better, and free

No they wouldn't. Onboard would have less power and as a result might need an amp and could also have noise, also I probably don't have the same mobo as him so I couldn't say if his would be as clear as mine or not, even if he used onboard usb and a dac his usb would still have less power than a powered one. So I can't say if he would need an amp with his setup, just that mine can reach max comfortable listening volume by 20 or 30 and 100 would be bleeding from the ears.

33 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

No they wouldn't. Onboard would have less power and as a result might need an amp and could also have noise, also I probably don't have the same mobo as him so I couldn't say if his would be as clear as mine or not, even if he used onboard usb and a dac his usb would still have less power than a powered one. So I can't say if he would need an amp with his setup, just that mine can reach max comfortable listening volume by 20 or 30 and 100 would be bleeding from the ears.

You don't need an amp. The onboard has more than enough to drive your headphones and give excellent quality audio.

Just now, nickspacemonkey said:

You don't need an amp. The onboard has more than enough to drive your headphones and give excellent quality audio.

Probably, but I've never tried it and couldn't say that with certainty.

I could. It does.

Probably, but I've never tried it and couldn't say that with certainty.

This.

My tower is 30 feet away.

Ok well thats not the reason you got it.

46 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

You don't need it for the reasons given. And i would just run a headphone extension cable rather than listening to anything that comes from that rubbish USB card.

If you had led with "my tower is 30ft away so i need a way to plug peripherals in" I would've kinda understood.

Sorry you can't type what you mean sooner.

9 minutes ago, nickspacemonkey said:

Ok well thats not the reason you got it.

You don't need it for the reasons given. And i would just run a headphone extension cable rather than listening to anything that comes from that rubbish USB card.

If you had led with "my tower is 30ft away so i need a way to plug peripherals in" I would've kinda understood.

Sorry you can't type what you mean sooner.

I did type what I meant the entire time you just weren't smart enough to understand. That is the setup I use and I can't comment on any other setup because I've never used it like that and those are the reasons it might make a difference compared to just the onboard. It isn't my fault you can't seem to understand them.

Just now, Wolf_Lbh said:

I did type what I meant the entire time you just weren't smart enough to understand. That is the setup I use and I can't comment on any other setup because I've never used it like that and those are the reasons it might make a difference compared to just the onboard. It isn't my fault you can't seem to understand them.

But the reasons are wrong.

But the reasons are wrong.

See this is where the "you're not smart enough to understand them" part comes in.

1 hour ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

I don't think you realise everything you said is wrong. Ok, not the bits that are very specific to you.

I don't think you realise everything you said is wrong.

You're not smart enough to realize everything I said it correct.

2 minutes ago, nickspacemonkey said:

Sure ok, but i wasn't the first one to question your use becuase it doesn't make sense. 30ft away does. But nothing else.

Last time I'm explaining this, you're now blocked btw, I've wasted enough of my life on you.

The usb hub has a direct power source, this means that the headphones can pull more power from it than an onboard source. Not getting enough power directly impacts performance. Depending on the headphones and onboard this could easily make a difference.

Using a usb + dac instead of an onboard jack eliminates the possibility of noise, which depending on the mobo and internals could be a problem.

Ask someone else if you still don't get it, preferably someone that can explain it with pictures... drawn in crayon.