Resources for C#

Crowes

Hey, I recently learned VB for work (majority of their systems are written in it), but I would like to learn C# as a way of moving away from any new projects being written in an unsupported language*.

Are they any reasonable resources for learning this? I don't want a book that goes on about new stuff, I want one that goes on about the basics, then what can be done. From there I can take off myself.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Microsoft provides a c# essentials course on Edx which teaches you the fundamentals of the language.  That is a good course since it presumes you already have some experience with object oriented languages.  Microsoft has good documentation and examples and MVA (Microsoft Virtual Academy) is a good way to learn c# too.  

My advice is to do the course (unfortunately I can't link it because I'm on my laptop right now) but you can do a simple search on Edx and I'm sure you'll find it.  And then I would read a book to get more detail.  In my opinion it's best to take c# as a piece of a Microsoft ecosystem, and so learning ASP.net, SQLServer, Azure, XAML are pretty good to do down the line.  Microsoft offers a Dev Essentials bundle that comes with a 3 month subscription to Plurasight, so I recommend taking advantage of that, and the free Azure credit so you can host web applications, databases and such.  

Good luck learning c#! 

Check out Pluralsight. They have a large number of C# and .NET courses (along with many other topics) as well as a C# path to follow if you want. They also have a C# for VB Developers course which you might enjoy as an introduction to C#.

You can get 3 free months to Pluralsight with the free Visual Studio Dev Essentials program.

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 9:27 PM, Erik Sieghart said:

I always liked Essential C# (it's on version 6 now).

It covers not only the language and basic concepts, but also suggests good coding practices and styling.

---

MS's documentation for C# is second to none. You'll find msdn has code examples on pretty much anything you'd want to reference, as well.

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 4:16 PM, Crowes said:

Hey, I recently learned VB for work (majority of their systems are written in it), but I would like to learn C# as a way of moving away from any new projects being written in an unsupported language*.

Are they any reasonable resources for learning this? I don't want a book that goes on about new stuff, I want one that goes on about the basics, then what can be done. From there I can take off myself.

I can't vouch for the Essentials listed above.

But damn, C#  MSDN documentation has saved me so many times!

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),