Nice Over-Ear Headphones for around $70USD?

EthanTheFrogMan

My father asked for a pair of nice, quality sounding headphones to use when listening to music on his phone and laptop for the holidays. Keep in mind he he currently uses old apple headphones (not even earpods), and does not want earbuds as he finds they often fall out. Is there a good quality, wired pair of headphones with moderate highs, while not "bass boosted" that he may enjoy around the $70 usd price point? I was looking into the HD429's but they are no longer available it seems, and the 30x's have such a long cord...

Thanks, Ethan

Yes, the M30x's have a HUGE cord. The stock ear pads also suck. I've bought new ones, and that will make these headphones awesome.

HD558's should go on sale around that price sometime. They're open-back though.

I used to be quite active here.

On 12/21/2016 at 9:26 PM, EthanTheFrogMan said:

My father asked for a pair of nice, quality sounding headphones to use when listening to music on his phone and laptop for the holidays. Keep in mind he he currently uses old apple headphones (not even earpods), and does not want earbuds as he finds they often fall out. Is there a good quality, wired pair of headphones with moderate highs, while not "bass boosted" that he may enjoy around the $70 usd price point? I was looking into the HD429's but they are no longer available it seems, and the 30x's have such a long cord...

Thanks, Ethan

These ones: they're wireless and they're seinhesisers so you know they're quality https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS120-Wireless-Headphones-Charging/dp/B0001FTVEK/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1482348599&sr=1-1&refinements=p_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A12097497011

The best portable over ear headphones you can buy for $79 are definitely the Status Audio CB-1:

https://www.amazon.com/Status-Audio-Closed-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B01BDX1IVW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482349196&sr=8-2&keywords=status+audio

The chord is removable, so you don't have to worry about the length. I truly believe that this feature is worth an extra $9 over the budget since I never had a wired pair last over 8 months due to audio jack failures. 

On 12/21/2016 at 9:43 PM, wrathoftheturkey said:

that's irrelevant if they don't sound so great, and given that

they probably don't sound nearly as good as a similarly priced wired headset

They sound good to me.

35 minutes ago, EthanTheFrogMan said:

Thanks, Ethan

Sennheiser HD 518s

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

The best portable over ear headphones you can buy for $79 are definitely the Status Audio CB-1:

https://www.amazon.com/Status-Audio-Closed-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B01BDX1IVW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482349196&sr=8-2&keywords=status+audio

The chord is removable, so you don't have to worry about the length. I truly believe that this feature is worth an extra $9 over the budget since I never had a wired pair last over 8 months due to audio jack failures. 

Take a look at these cans. I think he'll appreciate the larger earpads. If he feels like wants to change the earpads, you can get aftermarket earpads from Brainwavz. I highly suggest the velour for comfort. These will most likely fit other over hear headphones if you choose otherwise.