GTX 1060 6G SC OVERCLOCKED VS 980TI STOCK

IAR117
Go to solution Solved by Simon771,

If you want decent gaming experience on 1440p, you should get GTX 1070.

You can't make GTX 1060 as fast as GTX 980 Ti. Even GTX 1070 is strugling sometimes to be as good as GTX 980 ti.

I'm playing overwatch at epic settings with 75fps on 1440p.

If you want higher fps with GTX 1060, you would need to turn down some graphic settings.

If i oc a 1060 6gb sc evga to around 2100 mhz, will it perform on par with a 980 ti for 1440p

No. It will be however better than overclocked GTX 980... just a bit.

VRAM OC helps a lot more for 1060.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

No. It will be however better than overclocked GTX 980... just a bit.

VRAM OC helps a lot more for 1060.

What would recommend, in order to make my 1060 perform like a 980ti

3 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

980ti is in the GTX 1070 territory so you are out of luck with the 1060 unless you will cool it with liquid nitrogen and OC it to like 2800MHz core and 10000MHz VRAM.

That said the 1060 is very capable for 1440p if you are willing to play on high instead of ultra. In most games you will get way above 60FPS.

1 minute ago, IAR117 said:

You really can't, it's like trying to make an i3 perform like an i5... I'd suggest using the 1070 as it performs way better and is cheaper than the 980ti.

980ti is in the GTX 1070 territory so you are out of luck with the 1060 unless you will cool it with liquid nitrogen and OC it to looks like 2800MHz core and 10000MHz VRAM.

What is the best I can do with acx cooling, would u say I should go for one noctua 140mm case fan or 2 corsair ones, b cos i really need the performance for 1440p

7 minutes ago, jcuhnoio said:

You really can't, it's like trying to make an i3 perform like an i5... I'd suggest using the 1070 as it performs way better and is cheaper than the 980ti.

Just to clarify I am not asking on if I should get a 980ti or 1070, as I was on a lower budget and have buy the 1060,so any ideas on how to make it perform alot better at 1440p?

2 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

What is the best I can do with acx cooling, would u say I should go for one noctua 140mm case fan or 2 corsair ones, b cos i really need the performance for 1440p

We are in graphics card forum.. And fans are not going to affect performance.

So true it hurts

OC it and stress test till it gets unstable, then start downclocking and find out what you won in your silicon lottery.

4 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

I play with GTX 1060 at 165Hz 1440p.

Core OC 2070MHz, VRAM OC 9000MHz.

Play on high settings and you will get about 90FPS in games like BF1, 70FPS in Rise of the Tombrider, 60FPS in Witcher 3.

In games like CS:GO, Rocket League, Dota 2,.... well above 144FPS on ULTRA.

In NVIDIA Control Panel enable MFAA to override MSAA in games for better performance.

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I play with GTX 1060 at 165Hz 1440p.

Core OC 2070MHz, VRAM OC 9000MHz.

Play on high settings and you will get about 90FPS in games like BF1, 70FPS in Rise of the Tombrider, 60FPS in Witcher 3.

In games like CS:GO, Rocket League, Dota 2,.... well above 144FPS on ULTRA.

And forza horizon 3?

4 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

Just to clarify I am not asking on if I should get a 980ti or 1070, as I was on a lower budget and had to buy the 1060,so any ideas on how to make it perform alot better at 1440p?

1060 is not going to give 144fps at 1440p 

So true it hurts

Soz for the typo earlier, I haven't got a 1060  yet, but would two 780's in sli outperform a 980 ti?

5 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

Just to clarify I am not asking on if I should get a 980ti or 1070, as I was on a lower budget and had to buy the 1060,so any ideas on how to make it perform alot better at 1440p?

First off, I'd suggest you to get a 6gb version if you're planning to do 1440p as it requires more VRAM. Unless you're planning to do really demanding titles, it should remain on about 90fps. Second, cooler doesn't affect the performance much, it's really down to how much you can oc with comfortable temps as the coolers provide similar performance nowadays.

(EDIT) I would not recommend running dual 780s since nvidia doesn't really look back on their old products. An r9 fury might also be a viable option if you save a bit more.

1 minute ago, SirFlamenco said:

Im not aiming for 144 fps, as my monitor is at 75hz oc'd from 60

1 minute ago, jcuhnoio said:

First off, I'd suggest you to get a 6gb version if you're planning to do 1440p as it requires more VRAM. Unless you're planning to do really demanding titles, it should remain on about 90fps. Second, cooler doesn't affect the performance much, it's really down to how much you can oc with comfortable temps as the coolers provide similar performance nowadays.

Yeah, I was looking at the 6G 1060(EVGA SC)

1 minute ago, IAR117 said:

And forza horizon 3?

Never played that game.

1 minute ago, SirFlamenco said:

If you really need to play modern AAA games on ULTRA then no. Going down to High usually improves FPS by at least 30 while barely making looks worse.

Never played that game.

If you really need to play modern AAA games on ULTRA then no. Going down to High usually improves FPS by at least 30 while barely making looks worse.

I'm happy to lower my settings a little for extra frames

2 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

Soz for the typo earlier, I haven't got a 1060  yet, but would two 780's in sli outperform a 980 ti?

Avoid 780 and especially SLI. The lack of drivers for modern games makes them worthless.

Also when I asked about the 780 in sli I forgot to mention that it's 10 pounds cheaper to go for those over a 1060 in the uk, although they are used

Overclock will not make up for the lack of cuda cores. 

You can OC it to perform or beat 980 but hoping to get anywhere close to "ti" is impossible for 24/7. Maybe liquid nitro cooling could achieve it for few minutes.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Avoid 780 and especially SLI. The lack of drivers for modern games makes them worthless.

Ok thanks for the answer, I've been curious for weeks

1 minute ago, Thony said:

Overclock will not make up for the lack of cuda cores. 

You can OC it to perform or beat 980 but hoping to get anywhere close to "ti" is impossible for 24/7. Maybe liquid nitro cooling could achieve it for few minutes.

I know that I can get a liquid cooler for the 1060, but if I buy one, then I might as well buy a 1070 as it'd be similarly priced

970 sli? Still costs relatively the same as a 1060 6G here in the UK

Also my 550w psu should be able to deal with the extra GPU

And my motherboard is sli compatible